Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, what's the argument for EV's having a front license plate?
Some states allow EVs to use HOV/carpool lanes and have EV-specific plates. This allows an officer to see the EV plate on a car driving solo in the HOV lane and not ticket them. Other states have stickers but at least in Cali there are no front stickers - just sides and rear.

I was going to post a clever solution for both the small visor and front plate issue by saying I am just going to attach my front plate to the passenger's side visor and just flip it down very time I park the car in public; however, I didn't want anyone laughing at this idea.

It would work if it wasn't illegal in many places. Also you'd want to secure it firmly--very firmly. You do not want a license plate whizzing around during an accident (think buzz saw).

Agreed. I don't understand why the nose cone doesn't just have a license plate holder built in. You might need a few different types to cover the various dimensions and a plain one for areas where there is no front plate. It would look so much better then having to drill holes. Drilling holes is a good solution for a less expensive car, but this is a Model S.

The Model S will be sold in many countries which have different size license plates than ours. So it's difficult to design a standard spot for one.

The Model S will be sold in many countries which have different size license plates than ours. So it's difficult to design a standard spot for one.

Agreed. You make a different nose cone for each country. I believe they make them in-house so it shouldn't be that hard. And the two big markets (U.S. and Canada / Europe) each have only one size plate. Two nose cones covers most areas.

So I signed documents to have Tesla install the front bracket but I'm now having second thoughts. My car should be delivered in less than 2 weeks, and as I understand it the bracket is typically added at the service center in final inspection prior to home delivery--so I may still have time to have Tesla hold off on drilling holes.

I'm now thinking about just going with this: Dual Lock All-Weather Fasteners.

One customer review on Amazon refers to them using this for mounting license plates:
"I purchased this tape to secure my license plate to my bumper and it has a super-strong weatherproof hold. No need to worry about cold weather, snow, ice or heat. It is weather resistant. Although it's expensive, it's great!"

Doing some more research I found this: http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm. The guy says it can be removed without damage to the surface, if done carefully.

So I think I'll put some of this on the back of my plate, put some on the nosecone, and stick the plate to the nosecone. What do you guys think? This doesn't exactly look better than the factory-mounted plates (although it would be thinner than the factory mount). However, it would at least allow me to remove the bracket if the Virginia legislature gets their heads out of their rears and removes the requirement for a front plate (that law is supposed to be under review in 2013).

Thoughts?

PS: This stuff is also used to hold EZ-Pass devices to automotive windshields.

I'm now thinking about just going with this: Dual Lock All-Weather Fasteners.

I was thinking of doing something along these lines as well, but would prefer a more "stealth" install that lets me run without plates most of the time, and only attach them when I have to park in a public place that could get me ticketed. Instead of using the Dual Lock to directly attach the plates to the bumper/nosecone, what about using it to attach an angle-bracket mount (like the one from Skene, or a home brew alternative) to the horizontal space under the bumper? This way you still get the non-permanent mount for the front plate, and don't have anything at all visible on the front end if you feel like going plateless for an evening cruise...

I was thinking of doing something along these lines as well, but would prefer a more "stealth" install that lets me run without plates most of the time, and only attach them when I have to park in a public place that could get me ticketed. Instead of using the Dual Lock to directly attach the plates to the bumper/nosecone, what about using it to attach an angle-bracket mount (like the one from Skene, or a home brew alternative) to the horizontal space under the bumper? This way you still get the non-permanent mount for the front plate, and don't have anything at all visible on the front end if you feel like going plateless for an evening cruise...

I figure that ought to work. I'm skipping the Skene approach though, since I hear VA is ruthless regarding the front plate law and I'm primarily doing this in the event that VA removes the front plate requirement.

Sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it...Does anyone know if there are any adverse effects if you mount the license plate in front of the lower grill? Car not being able to cool the battery properly when driving or charging?

The central grille is exactly for that purpose, cooling the battery/motor/inverter, so a word to the wise, especially if you live in a hot place!

The openings at the corners for the heat-exchangers for people cooling.

Got word that my plate holes haven't been drilled, so Tesla's not going to drill them. I'll be giving the 3M Dual Lock strips a try and will let you all know how it goes!

Now if I can just get the Virginia legislature to remove the front plate requirement in 2013. (A proposed bill to do just that is supposed to be under debate in 2013--fingers crossed).

Got word that my plate holes haven't been drilled, so Tesla's not going to drill them. I'll be giving the 3M Dual Lock strips a try and will let you all know how it goes!

Now if I can just get the Virginia legislature to remove the front plate requirement in 2013. (A proposed bill to do just that is supposed to be under debate in 2013--fingers crossed).
What happens if your strips fall off and lose your license plate?

You attach a safety chain through one of the license plate mounting holes and connect it to an non-obvious place on the car.

A review on Amazon (not that I place 100% faith in it) says that they use these things for their plate and have had no problems. Dual Lock is supposedly 3 times stronger than Velcro. The weak point will likely be the adhesive.

But as jerry indicated, I'll likely wrap a black zip-tie around one of the bottom corner screwholes on the plate and thread it around the intake grill, until I feel comfortable.

I have the Skene front plate mount but no car as of yet. I think that since it is able to be raised or lowered then one can position it pretty much where they see fit, and this seems much better than the retractable deal that will get hit on every driveway you ramp up onto.

I plan on covering it with a rounded plate cover. I realize this is illegal technically, but it will improve aerodynamics and is certainly better than not having a front plate at all in the eyes of the law. Not sure how aggressive meter maids are with the plate covers vs the absence of a plate though.

Once I get my car I can take and post shots but it will be a while, I'm P912 with a 60 kWh battery option.

So if anyone else gets the Skene mounted before me, please post some photos for all to see.

Cheers.

There are several photos of what the Skene Design license plate mount looks like on various cars on the Gallery page, here:

Skene Design License Plate Mount

I went the zip-tie route. I mounted the plate holder (tesla supplied) upside down and used three zip-ties. Had to take the nose cone off to get the top two ties nice and snug with the third one below. It doesn't move at all, the actual plate attaches nice and flat, and it doesn't seem to block too much of the air intake. I will ask service what they think when I take it in for due bill items.
models-frontplate.jpg

I went the zip-tie route. I mounted the plate holder (tesla supplied) upside down and used three zip-ties. Had to take the nose cone off to get the top two ties nice and snug with the third one below. It doesn't move at all, the actual plate attaches nice and flat, and it doesn't seem to block too much of the air intake. I will ask service what they think when I take it in for due bill items.

Thanks. I did the exact same thing (I like the upside down variation you did though better) when I got my car. I e-mailed ownership a photo and they of course gave a 'it might block too much airflow' answer. I don't think it is a problem either but if your service person said it definitely is an issue, I guess I'll move it but I like the lower look much better.

Thanks. I did the exact same thing (I like the upside down variation you did though better) when I got my car. I e-mailed ownership a photo and they of course gave a 'it might block too much airflow' answer. I don't think it is a problem either but if your service person said it definitely is an issue, I guess I'll move it but I like the lower look much better.

The Boston (Watertown) Service Center has been mounting them either on the cone or zip-tying the frame upside-down on the grill as you did, depending on the owner's preference. I imagine the airflow impact would be more of an issue in hot climates than in Boston, so am inclined to have them do this at least for the time being while considering whether to "violate" the nose cone.

View attachment 15385

I love the upside down mount. Do you have any pics you could post of the completed job with the nosecone in place from the front and from the side? Thanks!