Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed the Teslatap instructions and placed 3 magnets behind the nose cone, and 3 on the lic frame. I used the 7/8 x 1/4 magnets and put the contraption to the test when I drove to the Custer SD Tesla Rally. On the stretch of highway in SD where the speed ltd was 80 mph, I went waaaay over that, and the front plate did not even budge.

I followed the Teslatap instructions and placed 3 magnets behind the nose cone, and 3 on the lic frame. I used the 7/8 x 1/4 magnets and put the contraption to the test when I drove to the Custer SD Tesla Rally. On the stretch of highway in SD where the speed ltd was 80 mph, I went waaaay over that, and the front plate did not even budge.

Awesome. I've experienced the same with mine too. Solid on, easy off. I've done it on my 2 Model S, plus 2 friends. I keep my plate in the Frunk.

Here's an update. The magnets seem to be no longer available from Amazon. Found them here: N42 Neodymium Magnet Dia 7/8X1/8" NdFeB Rare Earth Disc Magnet - CMS Magnetics, Inc

Also - I modified my procedure on my P85D. Instead of buying 6 magnets, buy 9. 3 of them glue on the inside of the nosecone. Use the other 6 for the bracket. 3 on each side. Just make sure the positive / negative sides are properly oriented. No glue needed on the bracket! Use clear hockey tape (Howies Clear Shin Pad Tape (Single)) for an anti-scratch, smooth surface.

I am awaiting delivery of my new 85D. On my prior P85, I used the J-Bolt method. I cannot use that on this new vehicle due to autopilot. I like the non-destructive approach with the magnets, or using the over-priced "the Law". At the same time, should I care if my nose cone is drilled? I mean, I must have a front plate and will never remove it. Also, this is a leased car. I take pride in my cars whether leased or owned, but since I am giving it back in 3 years, what difference should it make to me? Seriously though, I would like some opinions on this.

I am awaiting delivery of my new 85D. On my prior P85, I used the J-Bolt method. I cannot use that on this new vehicle due to autopilot. I like the non-destructive approach with the magnets, or using the over-priced "the Law". At the same time, should I care if my nose cone is drilled? I mean, I must have a front plate and will never remove it. Also, this is a leased car. I take pride in my cars whether leased or owned, but since I am giving it back in 3 years, what difference should it make to me? Seriously though, I would like some opinions on this.
With a leased car that you're going to turn back in to CA, I'd just drill the holes. Tesla can't get you for that decision. Otherwise, I have not put plates on my purchased S90D (nor any previous cars for years), but have "the Law" sitting in a box in my garage should I need to use it one day. ;) If I privately sell my car when it's time with me is over, many enthusiasts like myself would prefer a vehicle without license plate holes so we can make our own decision what to do, but in your case -- wanting to put plates on now, and leasing, I think it's an easy decision, and it will save you a few bucks in the process.

Thanks BertL! What you stated was exactly what occurred with me when I just sold my P85. The buyer specifically asked about the nose cone being drilled and was thrilled to hear that I did not.
I am not worried about Tesla's viewpoint on this, since they do this themselves at the time of delivery (they asked me last time and I declined).

I mean, I must have a front plate and will never remove it. ----Seriously though, I would like some opinions on this.

Why must you have a front plate? In my (humble) opinion they detract from the beauty of many cars--including Teslas. I have never put front plates on my cars for the last 40 years. Do I ever get a ticket? Occasionally. About once every decade. So then I put a temporary plate on, pay the $20 ticket, and later that day take the plate back off. Makes the car pretty; not that much bother!

Why must you have a front plate? In my (humble) opinion they detract from the beauty of many cars--including Teslas. I have never put front plates on my cars for the last 40 years. Do I ever get a ticket? Occasionally. About once every decade. So then I put a temporary plate on, pay the $20 ticket, and later that day take the plate back off. Makes the car pretty; not that much bother!
I guess I'm too much of a rule follower. I also really like my plates.

Otherwise, I have not put plates on my purchased S90D (nor any previous cars for years), but have "the Law" sitting in a box in my garage should I need to use it one day. ;)

My plate is mounted on "the Law" but kept in the frunk. But then, I'm in Texas and may need to demonstrate my willingness to comply if encountering a zealous officer. This is the first car I've not mounted a front plate.

My plate is mounted on "the Law" but kept in the frunk. But then, I'm in Texas and may need to demonstrate my willingness to comply if encountering a zealous officer. This is the first car I've not mounted a front plate.

I have my new front license plate on a "the Law" in my frunk as well. Did you every mount it to test?
I haven't. I am curious.

I live up the coast from LA and where I live very few Tesla's have a front plate mounted. Today when I drove to Santa Monica, that was the biggest realization. Every Tesla I saw in Santa Monica had a front plate mounted.

I have my new front license plate on a "the Law" in my frunk as well. Did you every mount it to test?
I haven't. I am curious.

Nope. I haven't. I was planning to act as if I needed a little help getting it done. Not a lie in that I'd have to pull up a video or online instructions since I no longer have the paperwork. An officer who chatted with me while I was parked near his vehicle didn't even mention it. He was more interested in the car -- range, screen, cost/time to charge.

I recently attended a Tesla gathering and only 3-4 out of 15 or so Model S and 2 Model X had front plates.

I really like the solution that I implemented on my first Model S and then my P85D. I keep it in the frunk, and only pop it on when I'm parked in the street or public garages. I would like to do the same thing with the Model X, but there's no nose cone to remove to apply the magnets.