Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live up the coast from LA and where I live very few Tesla's have a front plate mounted. Today when I drove to Santa Monica, that was the biggest realization. Every Tesla I saw in Santa Monica had a front plate mounted.

In the summer of 2012 after I bought my car, there was a Tesla event and we left Hawthorne for a drive of about 50 Roadsters led onto the freeway by the CHP on their motorcycles. As they lined us up, they asked for two rows--those with and those without front plates so they could give out tickets first. Who says cops can't have a sense of humor!

- - - Updated - - -

In the summer of 2012 after I bought my car, there was a Tesla event and we left Hawthorne for a drive of about 50 Roadsters led onto the freeway by the CHP on their motorcycles. As they lined us up, they asked for two rows--those with and those without front plates so they could give out tickets first. Who says cops can't have a sense of humor!

I should have mentioned that more than 50% did not have front plates!

$5 at Home depot will buy you 3 "J" hooks and some weather stripping that can be used to mount the plate on the lower grill and not the nose cone. 100% non-permanent but stable.
There are Youtube videos out there that I was able to watch and follow. Pre-AP cars are the best candidates. AP cars may have to be off center.

I really like the solution that I implemented on my first Model S and then my P85D. I keep it in the frunk, and only pop it on when I'm parked in the street or public garages. I would like to do the same thing with the Model X, but there's no nose cone to remove to apply the magnets.

I did this also and even added another set of magnets to sandwich the plateholder on the advice of GasDoc and make even a stronger connection of the magnetic fields. So I have 9 magnets in all. Probably could even add another set to the back of the cone but I don't remember much of my E&M classes and not sure it would add benefit. ;) I didn't glue though. Just used gorilla tape. Working great for 3 months now even in the rain. I got my ticket while driving for not having a front plate on my Infiniti M35 which is collecting dust on my driveway. :) No ticket for 8 years and finally brought the M35 into the dealer to attach the front plates....

I just fixed my "The Law" after i bent it hitting a wall in a parking lot. It took me 15 minutes to dismount and fix with use of the basement vise, rubber pad, and hammer.

It is a very smartly made accessory, I loved how it bent instead of ripping out the car's mounting points on the plastic honeycomb grille.

Last edited:
I used "The Law" to mount my license plate off center on my AP car and I thought it was a great solution. However, when I took my car in for service they mentioned that how I had the plate mounted off center would still interfere with AP.

I test mounted theLaw this morning on my AP car. It was easy to mount. I notice how close the license plate is to the car. Has anyone put anything on the back of the license plate to avoid the plate hitting the car?

The AP seems to work fine. I took it for a test drive.

IMG_2655f.jpg
IMG_2657f.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg

I test mounted theLaw this morning on my AP car. It was easy to mount. I notice how close the license plate is to the car. Has anyone put anything on the back of the license plate to avoid the plate hitting the car?

The AP seems to work fine. I took it for a test drive.
I only test fitted mine, but it sits exactly like yours. Appeared strong enough I would not be worried, but easy enough to stick a piece of felt or weather stripping that has tape on just one side to the back of the plate if you're worried -- it may not last forever, but easy enough to replace and ensure no damage to the nose cone ...at least that's what I thought at the time.

BTW for others that say "The Law" does not work with AP, you may have the first version developed before AP became available. They redesigned the bracket once AP came out to not interfere with the radar or parking sensors. With my "V2" bracket purchased September 2015, I also don't have any interference issues with it properly centered on my front end with the short drive I did around town to try the bracket out before I put it back in it's box (in case it's needed one day. ;))

FWIW, I just checked and it seems to be gone now. I guess the adhesive didn't hold up to the sub-zero temps from the last few weeks.
Use epoxy.

I have been looking around at other Teslas driving around town. I loved the j-bolt method I used on my last car. My plate is actually attractive: Yosemite background. What made it event nicer is how low it sat. Now, with the autopilot, I have to mount it higher. This is much less appealing. I am picking up my new vehicle in exactly 3 hours and 22 minutes from now (but who's counting). I asked them to not drill the nose cone. I don't know if there is a difference between this or the Law. Seems like the positioning would be similar either way. I think I will try the magnet method for now. Someone mentioned a doubling (or something) of the magnets. Can that person explain?

Someone mentioned a doubling (or something) of the magnets. Can that person explain?

I did this also and even added another set of magnets to sandwich the plateholder on the advice of GasDoc and make even a stronger connection of the magnetic fields. So I have 9 magnets in all.

Yes, I did this as well with my P85D. The pictures from my earlier post are from 2013 on my original S85. The improvement on the procedure is that you don't need glue on the license plate bracket.

3 Magnets inside the nose cone - I use glue.
3 Magnets on the front side of the bracket, under the license plate
3 Magnets on the back side of the bracket.

The magnets on the bracket hold themselves together. No glue needed.

Yes, I did this as well with my P85D. The pictures from my earlier post are from 2013 on my original S85. The improvement on the procedure is that you don't need glue on the license plate bracket.

Perfect! Thank you

I used waterproof Gorilla tape to minimize any scratching of the plastic surfaces by the magnets. Seems to be holding.