Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sentence has two parts and only the second is worth considering in a more generalized form. Does the front plate have value in today's world. I suspect it probably does, even more so than when it was originally required. For example with all of the cameras recording everything that happens today, it is very conceivable that only a front view of the vehicle could be recorded reasonably. With only a rear license plate you would miss identifying cars. I am sure that there are many other examples too.

Now at some point when every car comes with built in tracking (not sure why this is not actually here yet), the plate does become moot and that space will revert to emptiness or vanity.:)

How about a front sticker that looked like a real plate, this would remove the issues with performance.

How about a front sticker that looked like a real plate, this would remove the issues with performance.
How about an electronic plate that can be built into the fender rather than bolting an ugly piece of metal? Though I don't see any use of license plates at all. Criminals easily change the license plates and use stolen plates.

However, with so many other more sophisticated methods of tracking, a license plate front or rear is useless expenditure of taxpayer money. An RFID can send the car's VIN to a law enforcement vehicle near you for a more accurate identification of the vehicle.

In last 15years, I got a fixit ticket once for not having a front license plate and that too as I was doing 90+ in a 65 zone. It was an add-on.

As for toll tags they really don't care about the license plate as long as a valid toll tag is in the vehicle and can be read.

I think the Model S and Model X have a different shape and the Model X does not have the attachment points below. Perhaps later ones will though. For now I am going to keep my front license plate off for a few more months until this gets settled though.

This is from my pick up post:

Surprisingly, there were still some S’s in final assembly which had the old fascia but the majority of the ones before final had the new fascia. Interesting note: All the S’s with the new fascia had the front license plate holder installed using the new glued on mechanism. When asked about X, it will eventually get there also just there right now. I’m glad mine does not have it. Here is Cali, at least I have 6 six months before anyone can stop me for not having one.

I'm in the process of ordering an automated license plate hider. There are a # of options. Once I order it and have it installed in next few weeks, I'll post pics. They are very reasonable too. Only like $125-150 plus labor. I don't want to mess up my X front look with a plate on it.