Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

In CA it is like living in a HOA, until someone complains or catches you, you are OK. Most officers will overlook unless they stop you for something and you give them a hard time, then they will start to look for just about anything they can add on. Be cool, be safe.

Upvote 0
My MYP came with a front license plate bracket that goes on with sticky double tided 3M tape instead of screws. I, like many, chose not to install it but I completely understand the point of running it and not giving officers another potential fine they can give you if you get pulled over. These are all over Amazon aswell, here's a link to one

The best of both worlds (albeit at a cost) it running this flip up and down bracket so you can display the plate when parked or necessary on road use, and flip it down for photos or aesthetic reasons.

Upvote 0
My MYP came with a front license plate bracket that goes on with sticky double tided 3M tape instead of screws. I, like many, chose not to install it but I completely understand the point of running it and not giving officers another potential fine they can give you if you get pulled over. These are all over Amazon aswell, here's a link to one

The best of both worlds (albeit at a cost) it running this flip up and down bracket so you can display the plate when parked or necessary on road use, and flip it down for photos or aesthetic reasons.

I am curious why Tesla owners are avoiding the bracket that comes with the car. I’m seeing recommendations for Quick Bandit, SnapPlate, and Slipstream, all of which appear to clip on to the grill and cost well over $100. I can understand if someone wants to be able to remove their plate, but other than that, what is the reason? I would think these clip on holders would be more prone to causing damage to the grill and bumper in an impact, and they are certainly not more attractive. Plus, that 3M tape can be removed using a hair dryer and a little patience if it ever needs to come off.

What am I missing?

Incidentally, I don’t have a car yet, but do live in California and plan to install a front plate when it does come. I appreciate this thread since I have the same questions.

Upvote 0
I am curious why Tesla owners are avoiding the bracket that comes with the car. I’m seeing recommendations for Quick Bandit, SnapPlate, and Slipstream, all of which appear to clip on to the grill and cost well over $100. I can understand if someone wants to be able to remove their plate, but other than that, what is the reason? I would think these clip on holders would be more prone to causing damage to the grill and bumper in an impact, and they are certainly not more attractive. Plus, that 3M tape can be removed using a hair dryer and a little patience if it ever needs to come off.

What am I missing?

Incidentally, I don’t have a car yet, but do live in California and plan to install a front plate when it does come. I appreciate this thread since I have the same questions.

I think it's a matter of personal preference and a desire to keep the sleek styling of the vehicle overall. I have a QuickBandit plate holder and it's very well made and secures nicely to the grill. For aesthetics I choose to keep mine off unless I'm road tripping.

Also lesser to a degree but I'm a bit silly and childish regarding front plates because "Well if that state doesn't require it then why should I? MEH!" :p:D

Upvote 0
DC, VA, and MD here. I did extensive research prior to the delivery of my Y regarding the front plate. In all the states here a front plates is required. But, I see at please 50% of Teslas (and other cars) not have a front plate. I even posted on local Reddit boards to see if anyone received a ticket for lack of a front plate - zero.

From what I understand an officer will not pull you only for ONLY not having a front plate. But, if you're parked on the street parking enforcement can ticket you. This also goes for if you're pulled over for speeding, then an officer can add on the missing front plate. It's a gamble. If you park in streets often or in areas where ticketing is common, it may be best to place it on. But, if you're parking in garages or private lots (home, work) then it's much less of an issue.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Upvote 0
I don't love the front plate, but I have been pulled over for a warning in California for no front plate. Yes, rare, but like having a taillight out. The warning is simple, but I never want any excuse to be stopped by law enforcement. One beer and things go badly.
Most police departments can no longer pull a vehicle over for small offensives such as a light out anymore. I'd check your local ordinances.

Upvote 0

What am I missing?

If you're in cali, you can get a sticker license plate if you prefer. I got a removeable one simply to improve aerodynamics on long road trips (who knows when those couple of miles may matter!), other than that, I leave it on.

Tesla isnt the only car that looks better without front tags, pretty much EVERY car does. The only reason you see a lot Teslas without them is because Tesla doesnt seem to put them on at delivery (I like that to be honest). I suspect far fewer people would go through the trouble of removing it if it was already installed by Tesla. I also think few people (myself included) didnt want to put on the included bracket because if they put it put on slightly crooked, it would irk them or they just cant be bothered.

I put mine on just to stay compliant, but no hate for those that dont, it does look better (like all other cars) without one. I'm not even 100% sure my car would pass inspection without one.

Upvote 0
I think it's a matter of personal preference and a desire to keep the sleek styling of the vehicle overall. I have a QuickBandit plate holder and it's very well made and secures nicely to the grill. For aesthetics I choose to keep mine off unless I'm road tripping.

Also lesser to a degree but I'm a bit silly and childish regarding front plates because "Well if that state doesn't require it then why should I? MEH!" :p:D
I completely agree that these cars look best without front plates. I think I’m understanding from a few posts on this thread that many owners use the detachable holders so they can easily remove them, and not because of some deficiency with the holder included with the car. At this point, I think I would be inclined just to use the stock holder since I don’t see myself ever removing it.

Upvote 0
If you're in cali, you can get a sticker license plate if you prefer. I got a removeable one simply to improve aerodynamics on long road trips (who knows when those couple of miles may matter!), other than that, I leave it on.

Tesla isnt the only car that looks better without front tags, pretty much EVERY car does. The only reason you see a lot Teslas without them is because Tesla doesnt seem to put them on at delivery (I like that to be honest). I suspect far fewer people would go through the trouble of removing it if it was already installed by Tesla. I also think few people (myself included) didnt want to put on the included bracket because if they put it put on slightly crooked, it would irk them or they just cant be bothered.

I put mine on just to stay compliant, but no hate for those that dont, it does look better (like all other cars) without one. I'm not even 100% sure my car would pass inspection without one.
The sticker license plate does look intriguing. I haven’t seen any on the road yet.

Upvote 0

I may not install the front plate either (have not made up my mind) but I never thought of Model Y's design as "sleek styling." My only reservation with Model Y is actually its odd design. It looks like some kid just grabbed a point at the top of model 3 sketch and dragged it up to make the car taller. I have always seen it as a glorified prius. It has been on the streets for almost 2 years now and it has never grown on me. I am 6 foot tall and prefer the comfort of sitting in Model Y. Otherwise, I would have just picked Model 3. Kind of off topic but could not resist commenting :)

Upvote 0
I may not install the front plate either (have not made up my mind) but I never thought of Model Y's design as "sleek styling." My only reservation with Model Y is actually its odd design. It looks like some kid just grabbed a point at the top of model 3 sketch and dragged it up to make the car taller. I have always seen it as a glorified prius. It has been on the streets for almost 2 years now and it has never grown on me. I am 6 foot tall and prefer the comfort of sitting in Model Y. Otherwise, I would have just picked Model 3. Kind of off topic but could not resist commenting :)
I replaced my gen3 Prius with the MY... :D

It basically is a slightly larger, much faster Prius

• Funny
Reactions: Zebelkhan
Upvote 0
I agree, MY is a fairly odd looking car. M3 is way cooler. For us like most others, it came down to the space that MY provides.

Upvote 0
The sticker license plate does look intriguing. I haven’t seen any on the road yet.
I like it a lot. I’d prefer that CA didn’t have the front license plate law, but the license wrap plate looks a heckuva lot better than a plate on a bracket IMHO, and is unobtrusive enough to not bother me that it’s on all the time. But if people want to take the plate off except when there might be a chance of getting ticketed, I understand that too.

It was not exactly easy to install - took some work to get it centered and straight, and you have to go slow when peeling off the adhesive so you can get it stuck down with no wrinkles, bubbles, etc., but slow and easy wins the day.

Upvote 0

What am I missing?

It's just aesthetics. The front plate was never really given a dedicated "notch" in the body panels to be placed, morose just looks like an afterthought but there's no doubt that running one will save you from parking tickets like another member mentioned and grumpy cops

Upvote 0

@MYY@2022 - Welcome to the Tesla club! Congrats on your purchase!!​

I live in California and we have the same front license law. As people have already mentioned, YMMV on if you ever get a ticket on it, but it's technically still the law (even if you haven't personally been ticketed). Personally, I just prefer not to give police an excuse to pull me over.

Quoting the first reply here (by DaveORD), because I also have a Quick Bandit front license plate holder for my 2021 Model Y and have had no regrets. It's incredibly easy to mount yourself with no additional tools, and does not harm/damage your Tesla at all. There are some videos about how it attaches to the front grill of the Tesla, so it never touches the paint of your car. The only downside is just like most Tesla accessories, it's a little pricey in my opinion for what it is. But it's also sold by a small business owner (who is a Tesla owner/fan) and not a big company, so there's that. If you still haven't gotten a solution, I'd recommend buying the quick bandit. And yes, that is the correct website in the quote. (Remember, this is a small business owner - site doesn't look that impressive, but it's the real thing.)

Upvote 0
For those who got slipstream or quick bandit - how does it hold up to repeatedly high-speed highway driving? Slightly afraid either it'll fly off over time or cause some damage to the bumper to the extreme speeds
Holds up very well.

I've driven it about 2,000 miles on my Y - including on an SF to Vegas roadtrip a couple of weeks ago. I may have tested on speeds of up to 108mph. ;)

Upvote 0
@acatwith12 Forgot to mention I have the Quickbandit. (No experience with slipstream.) There's some nice video reviews of the quickbandit, where you can see the quickbandit license holder doesn't actually bend so much that it ever touches the paint. It looks great. I think my only concern is that anyone who knows how to install a Quickbandit also knows how to uninstall a quickbandit relatively fast. (Takes about 10-30 seconds to remove.) I don't really see a stealing spree of license plate holders, but given it's a $139 license holder, the chance of theft is probably the only issue. (Then again, that's the case with all license plate holders/frames, right? If you have the right tools you can always take those off.) I would still recommend the quickbandit.

Upvote 0