Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note, I"ve tried to find a way to contact Tesla corporate, or otherwise, so as to dispute the decision of my local service centre to not honor the occupancy sensor under the SRS warranty, but have not been able to find a number, email, or otherwise, to do so, I keep getting redirected to the app, which then in turn, I beleive, will put be back to the local service centre, as has been the case in the past anyways.

Any thoughts on how to get a hold of someone higher up?

TIA

Literally had this issue (3rd time now) come up about 5 days ago. After several rescheduled mobile services "they" determined I needed to bring the vehicle in at $0 cost. We'll see what they do/tell me. This is very frustrating.

Speaking with a mobile tech, he said that there's some radio interference which can be corrected by putting a choke on a cable under the seat.

On a related note, when I bought Tessie, it displayed the red airbag error icon on the screen (didn't notice until after I took delivery). I delayed taking it in, and now that problem has gone away (OTA update or remote fix??).

Speaking with a mobile tech, he said that there's some radio interference which can be corrected by putting a choke on a cable under the seat.

On a related note, when I bought Tessie, it displayed the red airbag error icon on the screen (didn't notice until after I took delivery). I delayed taking it in, and now that problem has gone away (OTA update or remote fix??).
That's the OCS filter, there's a TSB out for it I thiink. I had mine installed nearly 2 years ago.
My issue, despite there being an OCS filter, doesn't happen when the heated seat is OFF, so it's clearly Still related!

I was told that this is under the 60K mile warranty and isn't applicable outside of that. Because I'm outside 60K miles, they're wanting to charge me 2K for a new seat. I'm still baffled how this part is "vin assigned" to the whole damn seat. Why is that even a thing?

I was told that this is under the 60K mile warranty and isn't applicable outside of that. Because I'm outside 60K miles, they're wanting to charge me 2K for a new seat. I'm still baffled how this part is "vin assigned" to the whole damn seat. Why is that even a thing?
teh sensor itself seems very simple to change, but in looking around I've seen many different 'series' of both sensor and seat control modules. I get the impression than a complete seat swap may have them integrate in the latest hardware versions of all components, but can't be sure.

One thing's for certain, if they swap my seat out completely, i'm going to ask for the parts so I can take them home (ok, they probably won't give them, but, worth asking).

teh sensor itself seems very simple to change, but in looking around I've seen many different 'series' of both sensor and seat control modules. I get the impression than a complete seat swap may have them integrate in the latest hardware versions of all components, but can't be sure.

One thing's for certain, if they swap my seat out completely, i'm going to ask for the parts so I can take them home (ok, they probably won't give them, but, worth asking).
You would think and that's what I was picking them with. However, the mechanic and manager kept sticking to "the part is vin assigned to the seat. We cannot purchase that part individually without the seat. But we can purchase the filter retrofit kit."

I asked them if they could try to reinstall a new retrofit kit for the filter of that seat. They said they "could" but heavily insisted that it's most likely not gonna work.

So at this point I feel like a whole new chair is needed for this issue. Pretty BS if you ask me. I'm not sure if this is gonna gain traction but this'll be an issue when more people complain. Especially when they have to spend $2K+ on a brand new seat instead of a part assigned to the seat.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I think the retrofit kit is just the OCS filter, basically a super basic iron core filter that goes on the seat warmer cable to lessen (clearly not eliminate) it's interference with the sensor.
You can get the part from a wrecker or on ebay, but you should probably get the matching set between the sensor and the seat controller if you do it yourself.
If this SC won't do mine, I'll be getting the parts and trying it myself, worst case I'm out a couple hundred $ if it doesn't work.
Also, I sort of doubt at this point that just changing the sensor, or maybe even just the module, will do the job, it seems to me like the issue, at least for my car, remains interference with the heated seat.
they mentioned as well by the way, as did some above, that some folks had the issue after spilling water on the seat. I noticed that the controller is not very well sealed and yet it's right there under the seat. The sensor seems to be better sealed.

• Informative
I think the retrofit kit is just the OCS filter, basically a super basic iron core filter that goes on the seat warmer cable to lessen (clearly not eliminate) it's interference with the sensor.
You can get the part from a wrecker or on ebay, but you should probably get the matching set between the sensor and the seat controller if you do it yourself.
If this SC won't do mine, I'll be getting the parts and trying it myself, worst case I'm out a couple hundred $ if it doesn't work.
Also, I sort of doubt at this point that just changing the sensor, or maybe even just the module, will do the job, it seems to me like the issue, at least for my car, remains interference with the heated seat.
they mentioned as well by the way, as did some above, that some folks had the issue after spilling water on the seat. I noticed that the controller is not very well sealed and yet it's right there under the seat. The sensor seems to be better sealed.
Sounds like a poor build quality that Tesla should change the design to.

That I know. I'm just surprised that they would assign these components to each seat, knowing this'll be a problem in the future without a possible fix. Yet the mechanic and manager I should to originally said a fixed version in six months. Then redacted what they said and stated they don't know when it'll be fixed entirely. They even said to me, plain as day that an electronic like this lasting for two years is pretty good. I looked at the mechanic and said "pretty good? You think it's good for a customer to come back every two years to spend $2K+ every 2 years, not including inflation, is good?" The mechanic said it wasn't good and started stumbling good words.

anyone with basic electronics knowledge knows, just encase the control box in epoxy, it'll cost like 5$ more and it'll outlast the car.
Tesla needs more electrical and electronics familiar folks working for their SC's, not just mechanics trained in electrical, rather have more, or at least one, electrical / electronics folks with additional training in mechanics. I swear one of these days I'm just gonna open my own EV shop and sell fixes to these common problems.

I had this error pop up for the front driver side seat. Service estimated me $450 to fix the issue since I am out of warranty and I thought screw them. So did some research and found out they are installing noise canceling ferrites to fix the issue. So I bought a pack of ferrites from amazon and installed a bunch on every cable. This kinda fixed the issue. It was only occurring when the seat switches to easy mode. I discovered that the error would only pop up when I move the seat up or down. So I removed the vertical movement in easy mode. My conclusion is that there is some electrical interference between vertical movement motor cable and seat pressure sensor. Fingers crossed the issue has not come back so far.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and pdx_m3s
Literally had this issue (3rd time now) come up about 5 days ago. After several rescheduled mobile services "they" determined I needed to bring the vehicle in at $0 cost. We'll see what they do/tell me. This is very frustrating.
UPDATE: So I had to take my car into the shop. They determined that the mobile service was insufficient to address the issue. It turned out they had to replace the RH body Controller Module and 2nd row buckle assembly (for the second time).

Just happened to my ‘23 Y, brand new, drove the car 5mi.
B4A46824-468F-4EBE-A007-5AD61E5A6BE0.jpeg

• Informative