Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Frame Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

simplesolid

Model S 60 AP2 Glass Roof
Nov 12, 2016
Florida
I visited the Tesla Store today and noticed that all Model S' have a super ugly and thick front plate frame. Naturally I told them not to put on my car and I was told that they can't do that. Apparently the car was crash tested with the silly plate frame and must be sold with it installed. They said this was the case for the whole state of Florida.

First this is a very silly things, and second how do I remove it? I think it is just a double sided tape, but is this something that I can do myself or should I take it somewhere to get it removed?

Appreciate you help,

Super easy to remove, just follow the instructions in the link above. It took me about 10 minutes tops and I actually took my time with it.

IMG_1224.JPG

Owned my Tesla for over 4 yrs and have not installed front license plate. I've gotten one fix it ticket for that (in SF Bay Area) but only after getting pulled over for speeding and the cop took pity on me. Ended up zip-tying the front plate to the car to get the ticket dismissed and then taking it right off again.

When venturing into SF proper, I have always zip tied the front plate back on because I've heard from friends that SFPD is especially keen on generating revenue this way...even venturing as far as checking cars parked head-first inside parking garages. On one of these times when I had the front plate zip tied on, I was pulled over for making a rolling stop at a stop sign. The cop was just giving warnings out to everyone he stopped, but he made special effort to walk the front of my car and glance at the license plate. I feel sure that he would have given me a ticket for missing plate if it hadn't been there.

YMMV, but I'm not putting the front plate on, even with my experiences.