Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Safety Restraint System Fault Refresh S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a rear passenger safety restraint error code (forget which one). Brought it to Tesla and they kept the car for 3 days "diagnosing" the problem. Claimed they needed help from Tesla engineering. Ultimately they replaced the steering column control module and it fixed the issue.

the steering column control module seems to be the first 'go to' that they replace. In my journey I realized that the fault codes do not lead them specifically to the problem especially if there is a wiring harness fault. My SC told me they have a LOT of wiring harness faults. I think they spent close to $ 25k replacing controllers and airbags in my car before they replaced all of the harnesses and the problem went away.

Last year there were no details on the invoice. When I asked what they fixed their response was "It was from a loose ground connector that was causing the issue. We installed a new ground and it was working as it should" - nothing specific.

That wasn't the end of it as the RCM2_a052 error came back a couple of months ago. This time they replaced the Steering Column Control Module. Fixed for now.
Bad news. The RCM2_a052 error popped up again yesterday. It went away after a minute so not worth opening a ticket.

I will, the crazy thing is that the RCM2_a124 is the restrain alert for the passenger knee airbag, how is linked to the ground or wiring on the driver side??? The wiring from the Knee airbag goes to the rcm directly under the central tunnel… who knows.

If you get a look at that ground lug at the left kick panel near the bottom/front of the door, you will see that there are a number of wires that are going to it. I would not be surprised if it was a central grounding point to eliminate any ground loops that could exist if the airbag systems/controllers were grounded at different locations.

My saga continues. The instrument panel harness was replaced but the alert came back a few days later. Now they have fixed ground G660 (driver door pillar mentioned above) which supposedly was looked at before. (Maybe they are reading this thread?) I'm hoping this is done.

Attachments

• G660-5-COM.jpg
    G660-5-COM.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Locutus
My saga continues. The instrument panel harness was replaced but the alert came back a few days later. Now they have fixed ground G660 (driver door pillar mentioned above) which supposedly was looked at before. (Maybe they are reading this thread?) I'm hoping this is done.
Blue Stuff. My MSLR is MF442 and my car took the cake for SRS faults. They replaced EVERY airbag (some twice I believe) and controller(s) and in the end....after even they were embarrassed, upper management in Tesla made them replace driver and passenger side wiring harnesses. They found a crimp in one of the harnesses which was creating an impedance error a false reporting. The good news is that the problems are LONG gone but the bad news was that they had to pull out all of the trim and did a crap job smacking everything back together so the car has rattles and creaks that I am systemically tracking down and eliminating (and finding things like an airbag without the velcro restraint fastened around it) etc. If you are having ongoing issues that they cannot resolve, consider pushing them to escalate this to Factory Engineering and pursue a harness swap out. My learning coming out the back end is if they cannot fix things by replacing parts, it was the wiring and as our cars are in the same build batch (I got mine just under three weeks after you did) then this may be your issue. My car went in 14 times for SRS errors and they were beside themselves unable to properly fix it.....

Blue Stuff. My MSLR is MF442 and my car took the cake for SRS faults. They replaced EVERY airbag (some twice I believe) and controller(s) and in the end....after even they were embarrassed, upper management in Tesla made them replace driver and passenger side wiring harnesses. They found a crimp in one of the harnesses which was creating an impedance error a false reporting. The good news is that the problems are LONG gone but the bad news was that they had to pull out all of the trim and did a crap job smacking everything back together so the car has rattles and creaks that I am systemically tracking down and eliminating (and finding things like an airbag without the velcro restraint fastened around it) etc. If you are having ongoing issues that they cannot resolve, consider pushing them to escalate this to Factory Engineering and pursue a harness swap out. My learning coming out the back end is if they cannot fix things by replacing parts, it was the wiring and as our cars are in the same build batch (I got mine just under three weeks after you did) then this may be your issue. My car went in 14 times for SRS errors and they were beside themselves unable to properly fix it.....
I feel sorry that the whole thing you have gone through, the whole situation you spent time on. Hope they could compensate your time to&from them also since that’s their fault.

Thanks for documenting this people. I had a058 code but never took a picture of the service screen and it all started when I put my laptop on the front passenger seat and since then it'd go away in cold weather and return in hot weather. Recently it's not going away and I thought it was the a058 which was under the passenger seat where electrical noise was giving OCS communications problems. But today, looking into it again I'm seeing the a124 error code.
I will try removing the driver A pillar door panel and clean that ground lug/connection and see what happens. My 2022 MYLR is not at 60,5xx miles so no SRS warranty coverage.