Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR AWD with 20k Miles. I have just been told my front tires need to be replaced and my rear tires will be good for another couple of months. I understand the faster wear on Tesla vehicle tires, but any idea why the fronts would wear out faster than the rear? Wouldn’t it make sense for the rears to wear faster?

I have a LR AWD with 20k Miles. I have just been told my front tires need to be replaced and my rear tires will be good for another couple of months. I understand the faster wear on Tesla vehicle tires, but any idea why the fronts would wear out faster than the rear? Wouldn’t it make sense for the rears to wear faster?

Do you corner hard? And yes, rotation is your friend.

(I have 15k miles on my LR RWD 3 and have plenty of tread left.)

My rears wore faster on my P3D+.

what size tires do you have?

20's....yes. it might be about time.
19's...maybe
18's definitely shouldn't be worn. <------ not at only 20k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl
Tire rotation should typically be done every 5,000 to 8,000 miles
I’m starting to join the why-bother-rotating camp. It won’t necessarily save you money over the long term. Car experts have said if you don’t rotate you may have to replace 2 tires earlier, but if you rotate you’ll have to replace 4 tires later.

I believe it’s more important to maintain alignment so you don’t cause premature wear.

My AWD fronts wear quicker. They tend to wear on the inside tread first on the fronts.
It’s not an alignment issue, is the nature of this car.
But I rotate about every 10,000 km’s / 6,000 miles.
It keeps all tires wearing evenly, and I get the most out of them.

If I waited for 20,000 miles before rotating, I would have worn the front put premature, instead of balancing them amongst all 4 tires.

Reactions: WiEVguy
If I waited for 20,000 miles before rotating, I would have worn the front put premature, instead of balancing them amongst all 4 tires.
But it wouldn’t have cost you much, if any more had you not rotated. You would have needed to buy 2 tires earlier, yes. But the way you did it you needed 4 tires later on. So the prorated cost of your tires over time is pretty much the same whether you rotate or not.

Now if you need to do it in order to maintain a warranty, that’s different.

Our AWD rears are wearing about twice as fast as the fronts. I was late rotating a little after 7k miles.

I used to simply go through two sets of rear tires for each set of fronts on my Porsche C4. As long as they are wearing evenly across the tread surface you don't have to rotate them. The only real downside for me was if I wanted to change to a different model of tire. You may have to put up with extra under/over steer if they are mismatched front to rear, and the tire shop might balk at letting you do it.

My rears wore faster on my P3D+.

Ah, the rears wear out first...

. I have just been told my front tires need to be replaced

Well, then again...

Our AWD rears are wearing about twice as fast as the fronts.

Ah, no, definitely the rears!

My AWD fronts wear quicker.

err....

I’m starting to join the why-bother-rotating camp. It won’t necessarily save you money over the long term. Car experts have said if you don’t rotate you may have to replace 2 tires earlier, but if you rotate you’ll have to replace 4 tires later. .

Bingo.

Even Click and Clack basically said unless you're getting it done free it's a waste of money (and even then BMW and others are technically right that doing so makes handling slightly worse than not)

Oh, and FWIW, almost 20k miles on my OEM 18s and wear is even between front and rear and tires should make it to at least 30-35k.

Driving is about 90%+ highway FWIW.

Reactions: WiEVguy
My AWD fronts wear quicker. They tend to wear on the inside tread first on the fronts.
It’s not an alignment issue, is the nature of this car.
But I rotate about every 10,000 km’s / 6,000 miles.
It keeps all tires wearing evenly, and I get the most out of them.

Not to sidetrack, but I like the name. I had an 06 M109R. Man I loved that bike!

Reactions: M109Rider
I’ve had my M3 a month now with 300 miles. I notice a lot of black powder accumulated in the wheel well. It looks and feels like rubber dust. I think either the first 15 miles byTesla were spent doing donuts or tires are wearing quickly.