Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the latch replaced which didn't work, then had this installed which finally fixed my issue.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 7.43.23 PM.png

MY frunk sensor just failed with the same warning. I cannot reset it at all. I have a mobile ranger appt on 12/10 but wondered if there was a way to get my cruise control back in the meantime?
If the warning doesn't go away, there's no way for you to use FSD or cruise control. When I had the frunk issue, the warning comes and goes, and it would kick me out of FSD in the middle of the drive with loud warning beeps. That was scary.

My sensor was popping up with failure notices as well. These are the same replacement parts they ordered/installed for me. It has worked well so far, no more issues.

I had the same issue with front hood sensor failure messages.
Mobile Service replaced the front hood latch, then a couple weeks later they installed the harness overlay as the problem had reoccurred.
The Mobile Service Tech was uncomfortable with doing the harness overlay in my garage since he'd never done one before and it looked to be a lengthy procedure.
So, it got rescheduled for Mobile Service, at the SC. That was a new one for me!
It took an experienced person there about 4 hours to do the work of running the wires and verifying the fix.

That did the trick. No problems since.

Reactions: NorCal1
I am having the same issue on my Model Y that I took delivery on 11/15. It went into the local service center on 12/4 when I schedule it in on December 1. The ETA on getting the parts in and fixed is 12/16. Tesla SC just ordered the parts on the 7th. This is my second Tesla, but the first one in which I have a driving performance issue within a matter of weeks from delivery. They were generous enough to provide $600 in Uber credits but Tesla will be using a large chunk of the in service days under the lemon law rules within the first month of ownership. Frustrated of course, but I am sure they will get this resolved and I once again will be able to enjoy the driving capabilities of the Y. It truly is an amazing vehicle and the advancement vs my 2014 Model S Gen1 AP is out of this world.

HI Tesla community, I have a question about the same issue I got on my model Y I got 5 month ago.

On my 5-month-old Tesla model Y I got a message on the screen that says "Hood latch sensor required service, contact tesla service"
I did make an appointment to fix the issue, The car is still under warranty and that hood latch failure for my understanding is should be fixed by warranty replacement.
My car is on service now and it took them to fix that issue all working day. But I got an invoice from Tesla to pay for that hood latch sensor failed after 5 months of using my car.

Do that repair and parts should be covered by Tesla???

HI Tesla community, I have a question about the same issue I got on my model Y I got 5 month ago.

On my 5-month-old Tesla model Y I got a message on the screen that says "Hood latch sensor required service, contact tesla service"
I did make an appointment to fix the issue, The car is still under warranty and that hood latch failure for my understanding is should be fixed by warranty replacement.
My car is on service now and it took them to fix that issue all working day. But I got an invoice from Tesla to pay for that hood latch sensor failed after 5 months of using my car.

You are 100% covered. They also send you an estimate for the service. And in this case, it's under warranty and you aren't responsible for anything.

Reactions: rxlawdude

Did you end up paying for this?
How much was the invoice?

I have a March 2020 Model Y with the Hood Latch Sensor Needs Service warning come up when the hood is open/up. Warning disappears when hood is closed.

Hello, how is everything? I have a problem with my Model Y that keeps giving me the "Front Trunk Open" alert.

My problem is that this car I imported into Brazil and here we don’t have Tesla officially. How would I disable this alert? Or do a "lock" manually so that this alert no longer appears?

Hello, how is everything? I have a problem with my Model Y that keeps giving me the "Front Trunk Open" alert.

My problem is that this car I imported into Brazil and here we don’t have Tesla officially. How would I disable this alert? Or do a "lock" manually so that this alert no longer appears?

Unfortunately, the only repair known is bringing the car in and replacing the harness and latch sensor that goes to the frunk. That's what it took to make the notification go away....

If I buy this part from Tesla or Ebay can I exchange it myself? Because it is impossible for me to send my car back to the USA just because of that.
I would reach out to them and see if it's possible. Tell them your situation that you don't have a nearby service center. See if they would sell you what's required and send tech info on how to do the repair/replacement. It's possible they might work with 3rd party dealerships as well, so maybe Tesla can point you in the right direction. Good luck

Wow, it's impossible for me. My car is in Brazil and I don't have Tesla here, can't they sell this sensor already programmed?

Or is there no way to leave this sensor "locked" as if it is always closed?
You could try calling the closest available service center, and seeing if they are willing to diagnose the car remotely (zoom)? It's unlikely though, the service centers don't strike me as being that flexible.

The other option is contacting a 3rd party Tesla mechanic, like "Electrified Garage"? I believe their main techs are all ex Tesla employees. I'd imagine they would be more willing to "find a way" to help.

You could try calling the closest available service center, and seeing if they are willing to diagnose the car remotely (zoom)? It's unlikely though, the service centers don't strike me as being that flexible.

The other option is contacting a 3rd party Tesla mechanic, like "Electrified Garage"? I believe their main techs are all ex Tesla employees. I'd imagine they would be more willing to "find a way" to help.

Do you know any of these "Electrified Garage"?