Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT TRUNK SENSOR ISSUE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if those having problems can try pressing down to close the frunk and observe whether you hear one or two clicks.

I haven't tried listening for clicks, but I do notice that it feels very springy when pushing down on the frunk. It feels like the hood latch hits a spring that allows an extra inch of compression, before bouncing back up to close flush with the fenders. Feels very excessive compared to a Porsche frunk.

As a quick follow up. I had the body control module (BCM) replaced a few days ago. No problems with frunk messages so far. Unfortunately, I noticed my headlights were misaligned and aiming higher. Maybe the BCM is responsible for that too? A quick trip into the Services menu solved that.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thank you, but let me clarify. When I open the front trunk from the interior screen, I simply go out and lift the lid with no other secondary latch to releases. It seems that their should be a secondary safety latch to disengage before lifting the hood.

There is and your car (and mine) have a very serious safety defect. Opening the front from the screen or app should release the frunk but a second mechanical latch should prevent the frunk from opening. When at the front of the car you should not be able to lift the frunk without depressing the mechanical latch. If you push the frunk down the mechanical patch will engage first. This is the state it should be in when you release from inside. If your frunk pops open oast the mechanical latch from the screen then your latch is defective.

Everyone go test this out on your Ys. This is a very dangerous safety issue that should urgently be addressed by your SC.

There is and your car (and mine) have a very serious safety defect. Opening the front from the screen or app should release the frunk but a second mechanical latch should prevent the frunk from opening. When at the front of the car you should not be able to lift the frunk without depressing the mechanical latch. If you push the frunk down the mechanical patch will engage first. This is the state it should be in when you release from inside. If your frunk pops open oast the mechanical latch from the screen then your latch is defective.

Everyone go test this out on your Ys. This is a very dangerous safety issue that should urgently be addressed by your SC.

When you open your front truck from the app or in-car display, what steps do you take in order to fully open the front truck? Or maybe I should phrase the question as....what steps are required to open the front truck when the latch is operating appropriately?

After I press the frunk open button, I can just go and lift it open. Are you saying there should be another step between these two actions?

I tried slowly closing it, and I did hear two clicks. After the first click, the frunk is still ajar but i cannot lift it anymore(this must be the secondary latch engaging).

Reactions: AKTech.it
After I press the frunk open button, I can just go and lift it open. Are you saying there should be another step between these two actions?

I tried slowly closing it, and I did hear two clicks. After the first click, the frunk is still ajar but i cannot lift it anymore(this must be the secondary latch engaging).

I thought all cars with a hood that opens on front of the windshield were required to have a secondary latch and release. My other cars, all ICE, have an interior release which pops the hood open, then I get out, go to the hood and reach between the hood and grill to release a secondary "catch" lever that then allows me to fully open the hood. Sorry if Im making this more confusing than it should be..

The only secondary latch I was aware of was one relating to timing. On the Model 3, if I released clicked “open” and (forgot) and did not open the frunk lid within a few minutes, another event occurs that latches to the frunk hook. I would then be required to close it or electronically release by tapping “open” again.

+1 here on false frunk open alert. Mobile service replacement did not solve problem. Service center appointment is scheduled.

Mine is reproducible. When using the Autopilot and the car comes to a stop at a light the "front trunk open" warning comes on and the Autopilot disengages. I installed some laser shifters and a radar detector and have had the front trunk paneling removed- maybe that is the cause since the trunk seats much lower than with the paneling in place. I will replace the paneling later this week, hopefully this will solve the problem, otherwise we'll have to schedule a service call.

all car, have an interior release which pops the hood open, then I get out, go to the hood and reach between the hood and grill to release a secondary "catch" lever that then allows me to fully open the hood.

Exactly how it should be. That secondary latch is there to stop your hood opening if the primary latch fails.
Else the hood will fling open due to the wind at highway speeds and very bad things will happen....

Exactly how it should be. That secondary latch is there to stop your hood opening if the primary latch fails.
Else the hood will fling open due to the wind at highway speeds and very bad things will happen....

I completely agree with you. The MY does not have this same safety measure in place is what is concerning to me. Maybe its just me and its not a big deal. IDK.

Recently received our new MY FSD AWD w/tow hitch 18xxx on 6/25 - we've been having issues with the front trunk giving alerts that the trunk is open even though it's latched. I had a recent mobile service tech visit on 7/15 to address this along with other fitment and alignment issues and am still getting the incessant warning/alert that the front trunk is open. I made another mobile request (pic attached) and it was just recently cancelled by mobile service due to the fact this is a firmware issue - so WHAT exactly does that mean??? This is the 2nd attempt to get this fixed with no resolution! I'm about to call a LEMON LAWYER Attorney here in California, as it states after 3 recurring issues of the same problem, can warrant a full refund or exchange of the vehicle for a like in kind.

This is a dangerous situation while in FSD or TACC as it disables both functions when the notification pops up! Also, while in park, will not allow you to go into Drive unless you press Ignore on the screen! Having paid for FSD and the inability to use is frustrating in itself, but getting a notification while on the freeway at freeway speeds is very unnerving!

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was done (if anything) to resolve? Thanks in advance for any advice!
View attachment 567171
I had this problem, it went away with a software update but the mobile service guy replaced it anyway when he replaced the wing on my PUP.

Reactions: Bvee and kato_2k5
Im having the same issue with model y tech came by and replaced HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
Part #: 1500397-00-D and the issue still came up. But, after the new update (2020.32.3) it is a different warning it now says front trunk sensor issue in the new service logs and hasn't come up while driving again. Anybody having the same experience?

Reactions: kato_2k5
Im having the same issue with model y tech came by and replaced HOOD LATCH ASSY, M3Y
Part #: 1500397-00-D and the issue still came up. But, after the new update (2020.32.3) it is a different warning it now says front trunk sensor issue in the new service logs and hasn't come up while driving again. Anybody having the same experience?

I've had the recent update as well - 2020.32.3 - I've had several mobile appointments, of which were all cancelled by Mobile Service. Each time telling me I had to visit an SC - I finally gave in and made an SC appointment (which was today) but was also cancelled last week by SC stating

"This will need to be re-scheduled at a later date so that we can acquire all of the needed parts. Tesla Engineers are creating a kit to address your concern now. Once the parts are ready, we will reach out to schedule a new appt."

Very shortly after receiving this text I received a notification for a new update (2020.32.3) - at the time it was so new there was nothing I could find on the web and Teslafi didn't have it listed. The curious thing is that part of the new update gives the ability to review notification history, and of course, there's nothing that shows up regarding the incessant "Front Trunk Open" that I continuously received since July 7th. But now, since that update (which is still very few out there), I haven't been getting the "Open" notification - Was that really a "new" feature or was a fix to what has ailed so many of us regarding this issue.....time will tell. I do have a new appointment at the SC which was rescheduled for 9/1 - now I wonder if anything will be fixed or replaced at all since this update was released to my vehicle.....

Recently received our new MY FSD AWD w/tow hitch 18xxx on 6/25 - we've been having issues with the front trunk giving alerts that the trunk is open even though it's latched. I had a recent mobile service tech visit on 7/15 to address this along with other fitment and alignment issues and am still getting the incessant warning/alert that the front trunk is open. I made another mobile request (pic attached) and it was just recently cancelled by mobile service due to the fact this is a firmware issue - so WHAT exactly does that mean??? This is the 2nd attempt to get this fixed with no resolution! I'm about to call a LEMON LAWYER Attorney here in California, as it states after 3 recurring issues of the same problem, can warrant a full refund or exchange of the vehicle for a like in kind.

This is a dangerous situation while in FSD or TACC as it disables both functions when the notification pops up! Also, while in park, will not allow you to go into Drive unless you press Ignore on the screen! Having paid for FSD and the inability to use is frustrating in itself, but getting a notification while on the freeway at freeway speeds is very unnerving!

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was done (if anything) to resolve? Thanks in advance for any advice!
View attachment 567171

I am having the SAME annoying issue with the front trunk saying it is open! Anyone have any long term success with them fixing this issue??? (longer than a week)

I've had my Tesla Model Y for 2 months and 3 weeks of that it has been in the shop. Frustrating to say the least. They put in a new sensor and I drove an hour to pick it up and when they pulled it out for me the warning went off again. So they still have it. The shop said to me "We haven't seen this issue before" and I am wondering if they every go on the internet....

Since the update, I have not had it active. Fingers crossed!!

Since the update I have only seen the warning once (on the day of the update). I've noticed mine seems to be effected by temperature. It only seems to happen if the temperature is above 80 degrees, and it hasn't been near 80 since the update so I'm not sure if the update did something or if its because its getting cooler outside. Today is supposed to be in the 80s again so lets see if it pops up again.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Been having the problem as well. Mobile service replaced the latch assembly which didn’t fix it. Update 2020.32.3 hasn’t changed the alerts, I have a SC appt later this week, where the Front Controller Gen 3 and Front Hinge will be replaced. We’ll see......