Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front vibration when accelerating - accelerometer graphs....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car back today. As I suspected, it was the right hand side CV joint. They replaced the half shaft on that side. After confirming it the fix, they decided to also replace the left hand side as well. Not sure if it's because they still detected some vibration or not. They said it was "for good measure".

Finally smooth and vibration free. In fact, I guess the problem has been there for quite some time because it's far smoother than I remember even when it wasn't bad enough for me to call it a problem.

Got the car back today. As I suspected, it was the right hand side CV joint. They replaced the half shaft on that side. After confirming it the fix, they decided to also replace the left hand side as well. Not sure if it's because they still detected some vibration or not. They said it was "for good measure".

Finally smooth and vibration free. In fact, I guess the problem has been there for quite some time because it's far smoother than I remember even when it wasn't bad enough for me to call it a problem.
Did this solve your rough ride issues?

Interesting as I have noticed the same vibration in the same acceleration range you did that wasn't there when I bought the car... Doesn't seem to be getting worse or anything so my 1yr service is in November, is there any reason why I can't wait until then unless it gets noticeably worse?

Jeff

Interesting as I have noticed the same vibration in the same acceleration range you did that wasn't there when I bought the car... Doesn't seem to be getting worse or anything so my 1yr service is in November, is there any reason why I can't wait until then unless it gets noticeably worse?

Jeff

My concern was long term stress from repeated violent vibration on the hub, bushings, gears on front drive unit, and mounts on the front drive unit.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
My concern was long term stress from repeated violent vibration on the hub, bushings, gears on front drive unit, and mounts on the front drive unit.

Understood... Decisions, decisions...

If Tesla service wasn't so backed up and such a pain to deal with because of that, I'd simply call and have it taken care of immediately... Alas, that's not the case so I have to decide whether or not I'm concerned enough about the potential wider ramifications you called out to deal with the inconvenience of addressing this.

Jeff

Hey sorka, I believe I've has the same issue for almost a year. The way this guy described it is pretty spot on for my issue, is this what your issue was?

20160823_091157.png

If so I will take my car in and have them do what they did to yours!

Thanks

Hey sorka, I believe I've has the same issue for almost a year. The way this guy described it is pretty spot on for my issue, is this what your issue was?

View attachment 191219

If so I will take my car in and have them do what they did to yours!

Thanks

Don't worry, they will fix it. On mine, front drive shafts were replace to fix the problem at 5k miles. Unfortunately waiting for another set of front drive shafts now at 16k miles... but confident issue will be resolved one day.

Hmmm I have a slight vibration only when under basically full acceleration from about 30-70 km/h. I was thinking it could be due to having the front tire patched/plugged not long before the vibration started. Interesting that it may be a CV shaft instead... hmmm....

I have had my S for 3 weeks and suddenly today i had the same exact problem. Accelerated from 68mph to 80mph and felt a vibration. Feels like it is the drivers front wheel. I have 1800 miles and already have an appt. for a supercharger issue on 10/14th. Now i'm thinking I should call them and add this issue. I went on to the highway and tried to repeat the problem. "Sometimes" it will do it. I was thinking maybe a wheel out of balance, something in the tire, loose wheel etc........but I may be jumping on the CV axle bandwagon.

While at the service center for another matter, I asked about the shudder. A service tech and I went for a drive. Yes, it shuddered. Assessed as within normal range; this cars data (previous test) is graphed in post #7 above. "Even the Xs do it" was the word.

I am an IDIOT! I never got back to this thread because it seemed to be dead and I was in no hurry to show what a moron I am.
The shudder: 2-3 days before I first heard this shutter I was playing around with the vehicle settings. Went on my way and then 3 days later on the parkway while accelerating and changing lanes I heard/felt this shudder. Tried to get it to repeat but to no avail. Next day, shudder again. WTH! Any guess what it could be?...................................................

I set the lane warning to "on". I always leave this "off" because it's annoying. My wife's car drove me nuts with it so I never even bothered checking it with the Tesla. So that was my "shudder" or CV Axle problem. :rolleyes:
Set it to off and the problem was solved. :)

I am an IDIOT! I never got back to this thread because it seemed to be dead and I was in no hurry to show what a moron I am.
The shudder: 2-3 days before I first heard this shutter I was playing around with the vehicle settings. Went on my way and then 3 days later on the parkway while accelerating and changing lanes I heard/felt this shudder. Tried to get it to repeat but to no avail. Next day, shudder again. WTH! Any guess what it could be?...................................................

I set the lane warning to "on". I always leave this "off" because it's annoying. My wife's car drove me nuts with it so I never even bothered checking it with the Tesla. So that was my "shudder" or CV Axle problem. :rolleyes:
Set it to off and the problem was solved. :)
Easy fix for you but that is not the same shudder or frequency that others in this thread have experienced.

I had this same problem. After two visits, the service center replaced both half-shafts and it is now resolved. Glad I got that done @ 49k. Hopefully no more problems out of warranty. :)

Additional information for anyone else experiencing this: The guy @ the SC said the best way to replicate it was to set the suspension to 'High', and accelerate hard from a 20 mph roll.

I was just about to start a new post about a weird noise/shudder on hard acceleration on my 85D when suspension is on high. It's coming from the front and only happens when on high suspension. I'll bring up the half shaft problem at my next service visit in a couple weeks. Thanks!

I had this exact problem from the first month of ownership.

@mmccord unfortunately replacing the half-shafts did solve the problem but only for one month. The vibration came back. After four attempts by the SC to fix it the car still has the vibration. Now that you mentioned HIGH setting now I can replicate the problem every time. It also explains why only in some circumstances I got the vibration. My driveway is a bit higher than the main road so I have the suspension set to HIGH when I arrive home. When I usually leave before hitting a higher speed road the suspension will stay to high. The moment I pull into a high speed road ( > 35 mph, which is the threshold for standard setting), even a mild acceleration will cause the shudder.

I had the following work done:
FRONT RIGHT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030616-00-A)
FRONT LEFT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030615-00-A)
FRONT JACKSHAFT ASSEMBLY - DUAL MOTOR (1030632-00-A)
SDU re alignment
Front Drive Unit mounting bushes adjusting

None of that solved the problem or solved it for a couple of weeks. My conclusion is that the car doesn't bode to well when transitioning from HIGH to STANDARD setting while you accelerate mildly or stronger. I use it daily at least two locations and now it explains why I am getting the shudder after leaving in exactly same spot. And yes it will wear the half shafts prematurely.

Anyone had this problem fixed for good? My SC seems clueless and the hole situation is embarrassing for them really.

Great... My car has 200 miles left on the warranty.

I have the same type of thing VirtualM. Steep exit to my road so suspension goes to 'very high' daily, once I pull out onto the main road it's a long & straight 55mph zone so I tended to punch it there. I've been gentle on it since having the axles replaced (3 days ago), and will be careful any time the suspension isn't in 'normal' from now on.

As expected the vibration returned after the third pair of half shafts. It took approximately 1000 miles for the first symptoms to appear and now the vibration occurs in the 40mph range. With the last repair I took great care not to accelerate hard. I even manually lowered the suspension to standard every time. It didn't make any difference. I thought that my car has a problem but reading the X forums it seems it is a "feature".
Tesla has been completely silent about this problem. They just keep trowing parts at the car.
Anyone with a repair, did the vibration came back after a while?

• Informative
Reactions: PascalH