Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there! After 3 months testing , trouble-shootings, struggling. We finally made an after-market (non-Tesla camera) 720p camera to be displayed onto the 17-inch screen with our digital video switching board.

I'll buy one purely for the ability to input a standard video signal from a phone and have waze on the MCU. Does your board accept normal video, or is it only for your cameras?

I'll buy one purely for the ability to input a standard video signal from a phone and have waze on the MCU. Does your board accept normal video, or is it only for your cameras?

the board can accept the standard video signal (currently PAL), but we might plan to make another board that can connect with a 360 around-view system, and also the standard video output from iphone / android. This is the later project that we are currently discussing internally.

quote " have waze on the MCU" <----- don't understand about this. You mean the waze app in your phone? or the waze app in the "MCU" (the 17" panel main control unit)?

Yes, Waze, Android Auto, CarPlay, whatever. Teslas are sorely lacking in modern media input and this could be the fix. Tesla-Waze site gets shut off tomorrow, so the sooner I can throw money at you, the better!

Field testing (image combination of front + rear view)

61A84793-44D8-4C2E-9BA9-BF4DD3221250.jpeg

The left side of image is non-Tesla frontview camera (fisheye, need to do fisheye correction process), the right side is the form the stock Tesla rearview camera

Reactions: Chaserr
If this solution will allow me to have the possibility to display front and rear cameras (independently or both at once) and also the possibility to display mirrored iPhone/iPad screen than I would not hesitate at all. And I know about several people who will want to have this solution for them also!

Reactions: BearBu and Akikiki
Bearbu, I like my already front mounted Tesla rear camera that I am currently using. Even though its a mirrored image and doesn't produce a true view of what the front looks like. So, I hope your solution will give us the option to still used that weird blue Tesla camera connection to your switch as well as the generic plugs you are going to provide for other cameras.

Reactions: Chaserr
Bearbu, I like my already front mounted Tesla rear camera that I am currently using. Even though its a mirrored image and doesn't produce a true view of what the front looks like. So, I hope your solution will give us the option to still used that weird blue Tesla camera connection to your switch as well as the generic plugs you are going to provide for other cameras.
Cannot do that as my board can only take one LVDS port as input and it is already designed for the rearview camera

Nice looking product. I see the camera input and output to the touchscreen (I think that's what you are showing me). But one other input.
What type connector is the other input? So, this is the two camera version you mentioned a couple of weeks ago? Nice and tidy too.

Reactions: davidc18
Nice looking product. I see the camera input and output to the touchscreen (I think that's what you are showing me). But one other input.
What type connector is the other input? So, this is the two camera version you mentioned a couple of weeks ago? Nice and tidy too.

sorry, was busy for other projects recently. This product of you have seen from the picture is that video conversion kit (from LVDS to AHD 720p output) to external DVR / dashcam for recording the rearview while driving.

The two camera version is on-going (our hardware engineer is working on the prototype) and the alpha version will be ready in a couple of days. The 2-camera version will also using the same metal case you have seen from the picture.

@BearBu I think you have misunderstood somewhere in some of the above posts.

People are asking about the possibility for us or you to modify this product or for you to make another product to display video input that is NOT a camera. Because your product obviously inspired the idea that, maybe we can use the same input to display something else (like iPhone or iPad or something else) so we suddenly gained the ability to play videos on our screens.

@BearBu I think you have misunderstood somewhere in some of the above posts.

People are asking about the possibility for us or you to modify this product or for you to make another product to display video input that is NOT a camera. Because your product obviously inspired the idea that, maybe we can use the same input to display something else (like iPhone or iPad or something else) so we suddenly gained the ability to play videos on our screens.

Yes man, I have serveral projects working on the video stuff for Model S / X or even Model 3.

Other means of video input to the Tesla touchscreen is viable and I am also working on it too.

Btw, I am working on a 3D 360 system for Model S, you interested to be the volunteer?(I guess you are at HK)

Yes man, I have serveral projects working on the video stuff for Model S / X or even Model 3.

Other means of video input to the Tesla touchscreen is viable and I am also working on it too.

Btw, I am working on a 3D 360 system for Model S, you interested to be the volunteer?(I guess you are at HK)
Sure... feel free to PM me... and let me know the details