Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The frunk crease is another "not ready for prime-time" Tesla feature, and Tesla deserves whatever ding's Consumer Reports gives them this fall for such issues. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the frunk, and I've always closed it as instructed, yet I still noticed the crease the other day. The car was in for services a few days before I noticed the crease, and they had the frunk open (I can tell courtesy of the mobile app). So it's possible it happened at the SC, but I didn't inspect every inch of the car after getting it back (I shouldn't have to), so I can't say for sure how it happened. Regardless, there is a clear design flaw with the hood for which Tesla needs to take responsibility. I applaud their move on the drive-train warranty front to respond to the drive-train issues. They will need to take action on the frunk as well! Every auto manufacturer manages to make doors, trunk lids and hoods that open and close normally without denting, let alone requiring special instructions. Anything short is simply a design flaw.

Yeah, having to make a second trip anytime I store things in the frunk is a real PITA (one trip to haul the stuff into the house, another to come back and carefully close the frunk with both hands)

I was told to put my palms to the side of the latch area about 6 inches apart with my hands facing to the sides of the car. That seems to have worked so far. Some mechanism that could pull it down the last bit would be nice.

I'm new here but I'm reading allot of threads about this issue and one thing that keeps popping into my head is that there is an aftermarket solution for this that may be of benefit to those trying to prevent this crease from happening. Direct your favorite search engine to look for "slamstop." I don't have the ability to read Cyrillic but Google translate leads me to believe that it may work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although Tesla does a good job in advising owners on how to close the hood, it becomes a hassle for us owners to have to tell every single person who takes our car out to be careful with closing the hood. I know I forgot to tell my friend once and guess what, he closed it with one hand on the middle and now I have a crease.

Watch the Model X frunk closed at 1:45 in the video below. I wonder if the Model S can be retrofitted with the Model X mechanism -->
Gavine - Hat's off to you for this eagle-eye observation - I just watched that video and missed the hood closing.

This video raises several questions - The hood seems to drop all the way down and not have a motorized closer. It also sounds like it doesn't have a big rubber seal. Maybe this prototype didn't have the seal installed. Our Model S hoods might close this same way if we removed the seal.

Even if the official instructions were changed to say "drop the hood and don't press on it", valets, etc might still press on it.

Has anyone had this issue on a recent build car? We use the frunk all the time on our June production car and haven't had an issue, nor does it feel like it would be an issue.

I personally think it has to do with how the frunk is adjusted and how much pressure it takes to close it. Mine is a March 2013 (delivered) car and my frunk closes with very minimal pressure. I often do it with one hand right in the center with just the tips of my fingers. On mine, it takes very little pressure for it to click into place, and I've never had any water issues, so I know it's tight enough. No signs of any frunk dent or crease either. I think some cars may be adjusted such that it takes more force to get it to click into place and that might be causing the problems.

The best place to close the frunk, is from where the two rubber bumpers you see on the plastic cover are, the SC showed me literature stating this. Tried to grab a copy of it but they wouldn't allow. You go one latch at a time, with your hands at those locations on the hood and you will not have any trouble. The dent comes from people CLOSING AT THE LATCH, there is nothing to reinforce that section which is why the dent appears. This is also why some owners complain of orange foam appearing behind the latch, that expanding foam is supposed to help as reinforcement.

I personally think it has to do with how the frunk is adjusted and how much pressure it takes to close it. Mine is a March 2013 (delivered) car and my frunk closes with very minimal pressure. I often do it with one hand right in the center with just the tips of my fingers. On mine, it takes very little pressure for it to click into place, and I've never had any water issues, so I know it's tight enough. No signs of any frunk dent or crease either. I think some cars may be adjusted such that it takes more force to get it to click into place and that might be causing the problems.

The amount of pressure (or lack thereof) that it takes for you to close the frunk is surprising. My September 2014 car takes at least 50 lbs of force and both hands. Sometimes I am lifting my feet off the ground trying to close it. Does anyone else experience anything similar to this?

My September 2014 car takes at least 50 lbs of force and both hands. Sometimes I am lifting my feet off the ground trying to close it. Does anyone else experience anything similar to this?

My December 2014 (EDIT: should read 2013!) car takes only a modest amount of pressure. My 110 lb spouse can easily close the frunk.

Last edited:
Such a crazy thing. I have a September 2014 build as well and it takes quite some force to close the frunk.
I was told by the SC to only press on the edges of the frunk where it meets the headlight assemblies.
No crease so far, but lost at least a year of my life out of fear of damaging it while closing it...