Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO this kind of mod isn't worth it. Is it really that hard to put a palm of your hand on the hood to close it vs any additional risk of the hood opening when you don't want it to?

The spring has nothing to do with the emergency latch. Read through the first few pages from an owner who posted very insightful information. This mod is totally safe don't worry ;)

I've had this mod for 2 weeks now and almost used the frunk daily and had no issues with the hood popping up enough space for me to lift open with my fingers.

Reactions: is2scooby
The spring has nothing to do with the emergency latch. Read through the first few pages from an owner who posted very insightful information. This mod is totally safe don't worry ;)

I've had this mod for 2 weeks now and almost used the frunk daily and had no issues with the hood popping up enough space for me to lift open with my fingers.

This. And I drove over 90+ mph on freeway for testing and it’s secured. It has a second safety latch so the chances of it popping off is unlikely. It’s worth it. It’s only $4. What more could
You possibly ask for..? Lol

Reactions: follow.johnny
IMO this kind of mod isn't worth it. Is it really that hard to put a palm of your hand on the hood to close it vs any additional risk of the hood opening when you don't want it to?
The spring isn't related to any additional risk as it only lowers the required closing pressure (and opening springback). Can you be more specific to what your safety concern is?

Reactions: beachmiles
I get it that it shouldn't cause an issue but if something does happen to the mechanism even if unrelated to the spring change it's something for tesla to point to as being changed. I don't find the closure that big a deal so not worth it to me.

. I don't find the closure that big a deal so not worth it to me.
Certainly to each their own.... But the OEM spring takes enough pressure that they go to a lot of trouble in the owner's manual to have people close the frunk with TWO hands to "avoid damage". To a metal hood. When I close my frunk with the OEM spring I see the hood visibly flex a noticeable amount when pushing.

Certainly to each their own.... But the OEM spring takes enough pressure that they go to a lot of trouble in the owner's manual to have people close the frunk with TWO hands to "avoid damage". To a metal hood. When I close my frunk with the OEM spring I see the hood visibly flex a noticeable amount when pushing.

we tried lol but seems like he's standing his ground. lol

The fact that Tesla uses the strong spring despite obviously being aware of these issues tells me there must be a good reason.

Reactions: SigNC
I have had the same question, why would Tesla use a heavy spring if it wasn’t necessary. There is no logical answer other than maybe to help open the lid with weight on it like snow. My thought is they ordered 100,000 latches and they came with the wrong spring rated for a heavier lid. It was easier to edit text in the manual to use two hands for closing than replace all the springs.
In my case I have changed to a medium strength spring, and stock lift cylinders.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Tesla had more general requirements that I do. Tesla wanted the latch to ALWAYS overcome the month+ old seal that forms when it's not used, AND overcome a certain amount of snow (Per @Nikola M3 above) AND overcome manufacturing variability in the struts, hoods, mechanisms, and springs. Tesla had to envelope ALL this variability because they didn't want it working "sometimes" and this lead them to the spec'd OEM spring design. I'm just willing to say that I'll never have snow on my hood and I'm sizing mine to work with my exact hood, struts, springs, etc. As a matter of proof of this statement, you'll see some members in this forum can use the Home Depot spring and get perfect frunk "popage", but I can't. My setup required me to remove an additional 3-4 loops from that spring to increase it's load for my setup. I feel I've optimized my solution for 98% of my use case and it's much easier than with OEM spring (but not as easy as someone using an unmodified HD spring). Getting it to 99.9% would make it a little tougher yet, but still below stock. I plan on leaving it at 98% to make closing it easy.

Reactions: Scott7
Point being, why would they put such a stiff spring if it wasn't for a reason.

Agree with @insaneoctane said above, but also because Telsa isn't perfect. Consider the almost unusuably dim LED lights in the trunk. Why did they choose such dim lights? My guess is they used one LED everywhere but I definitely prefer more light in the trunk vs ambient lighting in the cabin. I changed my trunk lights to the Abstract Ocean lights and IMO it's massively improved. I can actually see items in the trunk now!

I think I'm also going to remove a few loops from my HD spring as it doesn't always pop up as much anymore. It's still enough to open it with my fingers but just a bit more force would be perfect.

Reactions: Goodtohave
I changed the spring yesterday ...

Best thing I’ve done to the car I can finally use the frunk. Hard to close with two hands when you have something else in your hand. I was constantly putting something on the ground to have two hands available .

Now if there was only an easier way to open it....

A way to make the trunk easier to close would be great, OK for me my wife has a hard time with it.

Reactions: zhu-