Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk not releasing completely-second latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zero CO2

a long term goal
Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2017
A Mountain in NY
This past weekend my 2017 model S frunk would not release it was pretty cold upstate NY so i thought it could be temperature related...looked in the S manual and the instructions where for older model S ... none of the manual releases described in the operators manual are on my vehicle. I was able to finally feel around inside the gasket where the latch is secured and figured out if I moved the latch towards the driver side i was able to open the frunk.
Anyone run into this issue yet?

SC required?

There’s something called the cinching actuator, a small electric motor that cinches the latch closed. My guess is that it would not release — maybe it was frozen.

I have the opposite problem — mine doesn’t work so the latch is never cinched, which means the lift gate shows open on the touch screen and I can never lock my car. My service center willl address this problem on Friday — it’s one of the remaining problems of being rear ended at a traffic light on June 30.

There’s something called the cinching actuator, a small electric motor that cinches the latch closed. My guess is that it would not release — maybe it was frozen.

I have the opposite problem — mine doesn’t work so the latch is never cinched, which means the lift gate shows open on the touch screen and I can never lock my car. My service center willl address this problem on Friday — it’s one of the remaining problems of being rear ended at a traffic light on June 30.
Thanks ....you had this issue with your trunk or frunk? sounds like SC will be required

My frunk always has that issue. 9 times out of 10, the 2nd latch catches. However, there's a manual button you press next to the latch to release it (unless some models don't have that button). It's not obvious if you haven't used it before. Just take a look with the frunk open. If it's there, once you see it, you'll be surprised you never saw it before. You might have to lightly press down on the frunk while pressing the button if the button seems like it doesn't want to be pressed in.

I bought a used 2015 Model S about 6 months and it had this issue when I bought it. Initially the frunk wouldn’t fully unlatch about 50-70% of the time when I tried to open it. In my case I discovered that I could push the frunk down an inch or so as I doubled clicked the remote to unlatch the frunk again and this time it would open fully.

I lived with the problem until I needed to take it in to the SC for some other issues and the notes said that they adjusted the latch. It helped with the problem, but it didn’t fully fix it. Now it wouldn’t open maybe 30% of the time.

I lived with it for a while and I mentioned it again when I had to bring the car in for it’s annual service. This time they replaced the latch. That was about a month ago and it hasn’t happened again since.

You know why I totally don't care about this issue? Because the 2nd latch catching makes it the same as every other hood on every other car out there. So who cares? The only reason it might seem different is because the hood covers storage space instead of an engine. So, yeah, because of that, maybe it should work better, but then again, I just don't care.

Reactions: tccartier
You know why I totally don't care about this issue? Because the 2nd latch catching makes it the same as every other hood on every other car out there. So who cares? The only reason it might seem different is because the hood covers storage space instead of an engine. So, yeah, because of that, maybe it should work better, but then again, I just don't care.
that would make sense if the latch was easily accessible ... but it is not and the location not intuitive
My frunk always has that issue. 9 times out of 10, the 2nd latch catches. However, there's a manual button you press next to the latch to release it (unless some models don't have that button). It's not obvious if you haven't used it before. Just take a look with the frunk open. If it's there, once you see it, you'll be surprised you never saw it before. You might have to lightly press down on the frunk while pressing the button if the button seems like it doesn't want to be pressed in.
2017 does not have the release button ... it does not have any of the buttons in the manual ...

2017 does not have the release button ... it does not have any of the buttons in the manual ...

Does the 2017 still have a 2nd catch? If it does, and there is no longer a release button, I would see that as a problem that should be further investigated and taken up with Tesla. That would be unacceptable.

Can a couple of folks with 2017's confirm this? Also, does the manual show anything?

I don't want to start getting on Tesla's case unless we are certain this is a problem.

I have encountered this scenario where if i leave the frunk unlocked for more than thirty seconds to a minute without fully opening it, then a secondary latch engages preventing the hood from opening. If i lift the hood immediately after unblinking it with the fob. It Irma every time.

when i realize this, simply double clicking the hood of the fob disengages it again. Presumably a safely feature to prevent it from opening while driving accidentally, although i also know the vehicle won't let you drive off if it is unlached, just like the charging port. Perhaps it is an anti theft mechanism.

Does the 2017 still have a 2nd catch? If it does, and there is no longer a release button, I would see that as a problem that should be further investigated and taken up with Tesla. That would be unacceptable.

Can a couple of folks with 2017's confirm this? Also, does the manual show anything?

I don't want to start getting on Tesla's case unless we are certain this is a problem.

Hello, from KCMO. I recognized the pic in your profile.

My wife's 2013 has two catches or hooks on her frunk. My 2014 only has one.

correction

I have encountered this scenario where if i leave the frunk unlocked for more than thirty seconds to a minute without fully opening it, then a secondary latch engages preventing the hood from opening. If i lift the hood immediately after unlocking it with the fob. It opens every time.

When i realize this, simply double clicking the hood of the fob disengages it again.

Presumably a safely feature to prevent it from opening while driving accidentally, although i also know the vehicle won't let you drive off if it is unlatched, just like the charging port. Perhaps it is an anti theft mechanism.

I’m not totally sure what you’re asking, but our late July 2017 S had the behavior I described above where the second latch was failing to release. I got on the phone with a helpful Tesla tech who had me first ensure the frunk wasn’t overloaded and putting pressure on the secondary latch (the frunk was empty, so this wasn’t applicable...) Then he described the manual release for the secondary latch. I fiddled for a bit when he said he’d send me a PDF of a photo and diagram, which cleared it up for me.

Once I figured it out and released it manually, I could see what the mechanism looked like, which made subsequent openings a non-issue. Obviously it was something we wanted fixed, but it didn’t really impact our use of the frunk for a few weeks.

So to recap:
- Late July 2017 Model S

- Electronic release would engage and was audible, hood “popped” about an inch

- Lifting the hood by hand revealed it was stuck/locked by the secondary latch

- Similar to every ICE I’ve ever owned, using fingers to release secondary latch allowed normal frunk operation.

FWIW, when I was at the SC to get the actuator replaced, I checked out a Model X in the showroom with the frunk open and confirmed the mechanism *is different* with no obvious mechanical secondary latch that is easily accessible by hand. It may just be I didn’t know what I was looking at, but it did not look anything like my S latching mechanism.

• Informative
Reactions: Zero CO2
I’m not totally sure what you’re asking, but our late July 2017 S had the behavior I described above where the second latch was failing to release. I got on the phone with a helpful Tesla tech who had me first ensure the frunk wasn’t overloaded and putting pressure on the secondary latch (the frunk was empty, so this wasn’t applicable...) Then he described the manual release for the secondary latch. I fiddled for a bit when he said he’d send me a PDF of a photo and diagram, which cleared it up for me.

Once I figured it out and released it manually, I could see what the mechanism looked like, which made subsequent openings a non-issue. Obviously it was something we wanted fixed, but it didn’t really impact our use of the frunk for a few weeks.

So to recap:
- Late July 2017 Model S

- Electronic release would engage and was audible, hood “popped” about an inch

- Lifting the hood by hand revealed it was stuck/locked by the secondary latch

- Similar to every ICE I’ve ever owned, using fingers to release secondary latch allowed normal frunk operation.

FWIW, when I was at the SC to get the actuator replaced, I checked out a Model X in the showroom with the frunk open and confirmed the mechanism *is different* with no obvious mechanical secondary latch that is easily accessible by hand. It may just be I didn’t know what I was looking at, but it did not look anything like my S latching mechanism.
This is exactly what happened with my 2017 ... it is a bit of a PITA but once you figure it out the frunk can be opened ... it is not intuitive however...will get fixed at next SC visit