Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated. 2 month old car not drivable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thr Y had been doing great. Then today my wife gets in the car to goto work and gets an error message. Car may not restart. She calls Tesla they have her reset and filly power down the car.

Then she gets a new message electric system failure car may stop suddenly, and or may operate at reduced power. She again reboots the car, runs some errands.

Then she gets a third error message when she goes to drive again. Car powering up please wait. At this point Tesla says they will need to tow her. After about 10 minutes she gets the car to move, but the system is not working right, Bluetooth is not connecting etc. She does have a service appointment later in the week.

I like the car a lot, but what the hell is going on here.

Tesla vehicles have a 12V battery in addition to the lithium battery pack. The Tesla vehicle will not power on if the 12V battery fails. Sometimes the 12V battery in a new vehicle is defective and fails within a short period of time. Also, it could be a loose 12V battery terminal connection. These issues are not uncommon in a new vehicle. Tesla Mobile Service should be able to check, correct this. I would not drive the vehicle until Tesla Service has been able to check out your Model Y.

I agree, the 12v battery is probably defective.

I had a 12v battery fail in my i3 while on the freeway, with hardly any warning immediately prior as well... not fun, kinda scary to be honest. It gives me peace of mind knowing that the MY at least gives some warnings prior to it failing.

Got the car September 30th. Has 2200 miles on it, and love the car so far. Wife got an error message that the car my not restart with driving. Later that day, got a second message saying electric system problem, car may operate at reduced power or stop suddenly. Then finally the car would not go. Gave a message that car was rebooting. She almost needed to get towed, but the car did eventually reboot and she got home.

Next day. I took the Y to the service station which is only 10 minutes away. They agreed to take the car and give us a loner.

Today, no communication from a human, but a message that parts are on order and the car should be ready December 9th. No explanation what is actually wrong.

Not very happy right now.

The service center has done a good job. What is frustrating is it is very hard to get a human to talk to. I actually had to call my sales representative and say I am bringing the car over now and we need a loaner. By the time I got to the center, the service coordinator and sales rep had called me back to make sure the car could be taken ASAP, and they had a loaner ready. They both did a great job. I showed up gave them the Y, and they gave me the loaner. Took 10 minutes.

It is frustrating that now, I do not have my car for 10 days, and did not get a call as to what the problem was. Just the car went from being serviced to waiting for parts on the app. I only saw that because I checked it manually.

I know if sucks, but they gave you a loaner and will fix the car.

Keep track of the number of days for lemon law purposes. it may have already met the limits if you want to return it. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and never have any problems again.

If the service center isn't keeping you informed, I would say they're not doing a good job. I like to be informed by a human, although I know my 22-year-old son wouldn't be annoyed by the electronic communication.

My Toyota dealership prefers to send me a text, rather than a phone call. I have to admit the phone call takes more time, because of the actual conversation that ensues, but it does help clarify issues.

Keep us posted.

I think communication is the most critical aspect of customer service, and the OP wants to take with a human. I totally agree with that. With the right human touch, you can make the most dire news tolerable.

It is more that Tesla does everything through the app. My with could not get a service appointment till Friday, and only got a human when she said it was an emergency. I had the idea to call our local sales representative, who acted very quickly. I had a call from her and the service representative in about 15 minutes. Thry did a great job, and the loaner was ready when I got there.

It would have been nice to get a call or even a text saying what was going on. The only way I have any clue is I manually went into the app and the cars status was changed to parts on order expected completion December 9th. They app did not even indicate the car status had changed.. They have done no communication of any type, just a computer updating my Tesla app.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Of course it is inconvenient and frustrating.

I agree with Fred. There is a lot of wasted time with phone and they have moved away from it. That said I can always call the local SC wait for prompt 3 and get a person. When local SC updates come by text, she is always quick to respond. They do a great job overall - not perfect. But if you have a loaner what is the issue? Depending o. The part it can take some time. I have delayed two different appts recently bc they have none (1st time in 3 yrs) and I am not taking Uber so I'll wait