Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustration with being both a Model S owner and a renter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon to be Model S 90D owner. Excited about it but frustrated about looking for places to rent that would allow garage socket upgrades. I heard that in California, laws have been passed to for landlords to allow renters who have EV vehicles to upgrade their garage sockets to allow faster home charging. Moving to Reno, NV and many luxury apartments have turned that down. Anybody with the same experience?

Soon to be Model S 90D owner. Excited about it but frustrated about looking for places to rent that would allow garage socket upgrades. I heard that in California, laws have been passed to for landlords to allow renters who have EV vehicles to upgrade their garage sockets to allow faster home charging. Moving to Reno, NV and many luxury apartments have turned that down. Anybody with the same experience?

You could also petition/ask your hospital to install some chargers :). There's several Teslas at my hospital, I might look into it too...

Its a very common, but no less frustrating situation. Indeed CA does have such a law but the landlord can push back if the upgrades are deemed to be ambiguously expensive/complicated.

Plug In America has begun to make this issue a focus, so perhaps seek out their representatives local to your area.

I rent and specifically looked for and found a duplex with attached garage that had a NEMA 10-30 installed for a drier. Quick trip to Home Depot and I had an adapter to charge.

Good luck and congrats on the 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: David99

Are they NOT willing to allow you to pay for/install at least a 10-30 or better yet 14-50 if the panel would support. Even a 240v 15/20A would be better than nothing and just about any panel supports that. o_O

Reactions: Ormond

I believe this, by far, is or is going to be the biggest impediment to EV adoption.

Yes, thousands of people have been through this and every experience is different. Good luck!

It's definitely a transitional dilemma. I had to wait almost two years to by an MS because I was living in a rented condo while rebuilding my house. I was able to use a 110v outlet in the garage to charge a BMW i3, but there was no ability to support an MS.

On a practical level, there are CHAdeMO chargers available at two different SavMarts in Reno (see Plugshare) and another in Carson City. Then there is a Supercharger in Reno and if you go south or west you have Superchargers in Truckee and Gardnerville, both less than an hour away. The CHAdeMo's require the adapter, but should give you about 50kW which is a pretty good charge for an hour of grocery shopping.