Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD add-on for one month possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I declined to purchase autopilot upgrades (the FSD package) with my 2023 MYLR and AFAIK it only has the basic autopilot software installed. I'm taking a long-distance 2400-mile trip in July and I see that one can purchase FSD one month at a time and I thought that a one-month subscription would be a big assist. I am wondering how that works.

Yes.

You can get the subscription for just one month.

If you're on 2023 software, you'll only get EAP benefits - access to the actual Beta won't be possible until they release an update for the FSD Beta (11.4.x, most likely) to catch up to 2023 software.

Reactions: WNC-MY
You're going to want to know how long it could take before the beta actually downloads to your car.

I would hope you'd get the latest beta within a day after purchasing and then get updates as they roll out, but I'm not confident it works that well.

It sure would suck to pay for a month and have to wait a week to get it.

You're going to want to know how long it could take before the beta actually downloads to your car.

I would hope you'd get the latest beta within a day after purchasing and then get updates as they roll out, but I'm not confident it works that well.

It sure would suck to pay for a month and have to wait a week to get it.
As of yesterday, people are getting it within 24 hours of subscribing.

As of yesterday, people are getting it within 24 hours of subscribing.
A little correction: As of yesterday SOME people are getting... With Tesla you can never tell, especially about FSD Beta. Could be everyone will get it in the next few days, only a certain number (from small to large) will get it or Tesla may even stop the rollout altogether at any time.

Reactions: fetar30310
Gosh! I thought it was a fairly straightforward thing to do: pay your money and "rent" FSD for a month at a time. This now sounds like a Rube Goldberg rigamahroll adventure.
Not that complicated. The problem is that some people assume the FSD option is the same as FSD City Streets Beta, but they’re different. Subscribing will get you immediate access to the FSD option, which includes Enhanced Autopilot plus Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. That’s probably all you need for your road trip. If you’re only interested in the FSD Beta, then don’t subscribe until you know that the latest FSD Beta build is newer than whatever you already have installed.

Reactions: JB47394
I subscribed yesterday evening for first time with version 2023.12.5 installed. The car almost immediately asked to upgrade to 2023.12.9 which I did (this version doesn't include fsd beta). Now I have to wait for 2023.12.10 to be pushed to my car, since that is the one that actually includes fsd-b.
Other people have had it pushed within 8 hours. I'm hoping to get it in the next 24 hours or so.

So what happens when your FSD subscription expires? I'd be nice to get some better highway manners for EAP by subscribing to FSD for a month, getting the new code, and then disconnecting the car from wifi so it can't roll you back to the old software.

So what happens when your FSD subscription expires? I'd be nice to get some better highway manners for EAP by subscribing to FSD for a month, getting the new code, and then disconnecting the car from wifi so it can't roll you back to the old software.
EAP/NoA is the old software stack/code and having FSD Beta has no effect on using EAP/NoA or the way it performs. WiFi has NOTHING to do with Tesla's ability to communicate with your car. This is done through the LTE. So if you don't pay the subscription then the FSD Beta stack is immediately grayed out and unavailable for use. There is NO roll back of software, you just can't turn FSB Beta on until you renew your subscription.

Last edited:
EAP/NoA is the old software stack/code and having FSD Beta has no effect on using EAP/NoA or the way it performs. WiFi has NOTHING to do with Tesla's ability to communicate with your car. This is done through the LTE. So if you don't pay the subscription then the FSD Beta stack is immediately grayed out and unavailable for use. There is NO roll back of software, you just can't turn FSB Beta on until you renew your subscription.
Sounds like your car would then be loaded with two stacks of code during the subscription and it would then flip back and forth based on the status. Wifi becomes important if your car can only have one portion of ADAS code loaded at a time.

Sounds like your car would then be loaded with two stacks of code during the subscription and it would then flip back and forth based on the status. Wifi becomes important if your car can only have one portion of ADAS code loaded at a time.
FSD Beta has ALWAYS had both stacks installed, loaded and ready to run. Up until FSD Beta 11.x the highway was not FDS Beta stack compatible and it would instantly/dynamically switch stacks (legacy NoA stack on the Interstate and back to FSD Beta stack as you exit) as you merge on or off an Interstate (and sometimes while on highways). WiFi has nothing to do with switching or loading stacks and it can happen in a millisecond.

Reactions: zazim
That's good to know. There are plenty of other changes made to the car where disabling wifi does effectively block Tesla from adjusting the status of the car. Guess FSD isn't one of them. Too bad they don't just merge the highway stacks already, but that's another thread.

That's good to know. There are plenty of other changes made to the car where disabling wifi does effectively block Tesla from adjusting the status of the car. Guess FSD isn't one of them. Too bad they don't just merge the highway stacks already, but that's another thread.
What "changes made to the car" are disabled by not having WiFi? I don't and have never had WiFi (and may people who live in condos and apartments) and only hotspot to get my updates. Also when the Beta program started we got our updates over LTE. Any safety, NHTSA or Tesla diagnostics can also be done over LTE.

In all likelihood Tesla will move all AP to the new stack but that will probably be a year or so. The highway FSD Beta driving is brand new and Tesla needs a lot of testing and revisions before replacing the well known legacy AP stack.

What "changes made to the car" are disabled by not having WiFi? I don't and have never had WiFi (and may people who live in condos and apartments) and only hotspot to get my updates. Also when the Beta program started we got our updates over LTE. Any safety, NHTSA or Tesla diagnostics can also be done over LTE.

In all likelihood Tesla will move all AP to the new stack but that will probably be a year or so. The highway FSD Beta driving is brand new and Tesla needs a lot of testing and revisions before replacing the well known legacy AP stack.
The software version on the MCU could be "locked" by not connecting to Wifi. There are some people here who were able to stave off updates for years that lowered supercharging speeds, capped the max cell voltage, and changed the UI.

Wife has a 2021 Y that actually came originally with 3 months of FSD and is listed on our account on tesla site in Specs as having Autopilot. Of course it lapsed, and when the subscription program started I recall seeing in the app I think behind the "upgrades" option the subscribe to FSD, and kind of put it away mentally knowing that at some point we'd want it. (Have FSD on my 3 and for long trips IMHO it's a complete game changer.) Anyway, the time is here, went to see what the current deal was, and it's not available anywhere in the app menus that I can find, or in the account on the site. Hoping I'm missing something obvious - help! :p

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 79