Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD at least a decade away (Morgan Stanley)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't say FSD (as in Tesla realizing full revenue from the option package after delivering the city streets feature) is a decade away, they say the following:
"We note that while our Tesla Target includes ARPU for the 'Network Services' business and recurring revenue from 'Tesla Mobility' (human-attended ride share) that we do not ascribe any specific value on full autonomy as we do not believe the technology will be ready to deploy at scale for many years (i.e. a decade or more)."

This basically means they don't believe any serious scale revenue generating robotaxi service will be coming from Tesla anytime soon, but that's way different than from saying that they won't have a "feature complete" FSD package before then (aka door-to-door L2).

The passage immediately proceeding that touched on realizing FSD option revenue: they say currently only 60% is realized, 40% is not. The way they talk about it seems to suggest they feel it'll be fully recognized in the near future.

Last edited:
Looks reasonable, though making predictions 10 years from now is very difficult. More importantly Jonas is skeptical of all robotaxis …. Not just Tesla.

Tesla stressed autonomy as an Al problem and is looking to train its neural
network over time, layering on real world mileage data it accumulates. We
note that while our Tesla target includes ARPU for the Network Services'
business and recurring revenue from Tesla Mobility' (human-attended ride-
share) that we do not ascribe any specific value to Tesla from full autonomy
as we believe the technology will not be ready to deploy at scale for many
years (ie. a decade or more).

Adam Jonas. Let’s see what he said about Tesla earlier though ….

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas cut his bear case outlook scenario on Tesla’s stock from $97 to $10 in a note published Tuesday. This worst-case scenario would represent an about 95% decline from Monday’s closing price of $205.36 per share.

The real kicker ? The price is pre-split ;)

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and Iain
Who is more credible? Elon Musk who is an engineer and has insider information as well as progress status or a banker?
I’ll give you a hint, it’s not Elon.

His FSD timelines have been absolute, flat out, lies and exaggerations.

How’s that cross-country trip from LA to NY coming along? It’s 5 years later and I still have not seen it happen.

Perhaps. But my point is that we can't automatically say that Elon is credible on FSD just because he is an engineer and has insider information since Elon has those things and was still wrong on FSD timeline.
Of course. We "know" he has been constantly wrong.

But that also doesn't make Jonas anymore credible !

ps : I should add - all of us, 60k testers, have front seat on this. We can see what's happening month to month and will know when we are anywhere close to human level, let alone robotaxi level. No need to defer to experts and analysts!

Did you see my post above ?

Jonas doesn’t exactly have a stellar record.
Well that's true but then again, on FSD neither does EM. So..meh. I've been watching it closely over the last year. It's going to be long, 2 hardware redo's. Robotaxi is, the more I thought through the business, a big nothing burger. Just think...a chance to compete with Uber...a company that has never turned a profit and has no path to profitability...even if you remove drivers. Why do you want to compete with a money losing pig ? Cars, trucks, everything energy. It's amazing that Tesla is such a great investment despite FSD being a bit of a ...sink.