Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD at least a decade away (Morgan Stanley)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's true but then again, on FSD neither does EM. So..meh. I've been watching it closely over the last year. It's going to be long, 2 hardware redo's. Robotaxi is, the more I thought through the business, a big nothing burger. Just think...a chance to compete with Uber...a company that has never turned a profit and has no path to profitability...even if you remove drivers. Why do you want to compete with a money losing pig ? Cars, trucks, everything energy. It's amazing that Tesla is such a great investment despite FSD being a bit of a ...sink.
I disagree with this assessment.

First of all in terms of hardware redos ... let's call it what it is - a guess. My guess is as good as yours. And i've no idea ;)

On robotaxi business - I definitely disagree. It can be a very profitable business. See Ark's spreadsheet.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
He’s not wrong.

I also think a 15% take-rate is extremely generous.
As far as FSD dates are concerned, the fact is, no one knows. Not Elon, not Andre, and certainly not some banker/analyst who thinks a neural net is something used in fishing. That's why all predictions, both optimistic and pessimistic, are just total guesses in the dark.

What is telling for me is that each FSD release is getting better, sometimes a lot better. If I think back to the first beta releases, with the steering wheel jerking all over the place (even when the car was stationary), sudden nervous pauses before making any sort of turn, and abrupt stops/starts, the beta has improved hugely. Sure, the car still doesnt do X or Y, so what? That's why its still beta, guys!

I disagree with this assessment.

First of all in terms of hardware redos ... let's call it what it is - a guess. My guess is as good as yours. And i've no idea ;)

On robotaxi business - I definitely disagree. It can be a very profitable business. See Ark's spreadsheet.
I agree with your on the hardware ...but then I know it's not the current hardware and since they've announced hw4 lets face it..even EM knows it is not this HW version. I also can't imagine HW staying static for half a decade so I think 2 is a safe easy conservative estimate.

On Ark. I used to think it was interesting..then I found out they had invested in Palantir and Palantir is a fraud. I only say that because I used to sell against them, I had friend responsible for the programs at the State Dept and other places (that suggested against them). A consulting business with so so software that is just so so. Paying management way way too much. Terrible business. I immediately began to question any analysis done by Ark because if anyone went to an actual customer of Palantir you'd have found the same thing I just wrote. They failed in the commercial space where we competed and withdrew. If you can't uncover that...what kind of analysts are you employing.

Then I thought long and long and hard about the whole robotaxi model and I realized that I could not think of any family with child that would find it workable, maybe to take kids to school but that seems regulated out for now. Do you have children? Then I studied Uber...then I found out Uber had no profits basically won't have meaningful profits Then I thought well strip out the drivers and it works, but that is not clear at all. Uber and Lyft are a bit opaque but I cannot see that stripping all driver costs would suddenly generate profit. So...why invest billions and billions in robotaxi fleets? Why do you want to compete with Uber when Waymo will be driving around every urban area in the USA within the decade. So I don't see it. I think someone will have to own and operate the Robotaxi and I don't think that's Tesla's wheelhouse. So I see a spinoff that does robotaxi majority owned by Tesla but is service oriented. Anyway that's my glass of coldwater on robotaxi's. I think FSD is a much better option as an enhancement to vehicle sales, a luxury feature or a feature for elderly. Robotaxi's..not so much and I wouldn't trust an Ark pie in the sky presentation. I'd trust someone that could peel back Ubers numbers and show me how Robotaxi's are so much better, so much more compelling and so much more profitable. I wonder if, after a bunch of manipulation Uber will break even this year? They've fired everyone they can.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well that's true but then again, on FSD neither does EM. So..meh. I've been watching it closely over the last year. It's going to be long, 2 hardware redo's. Robotaxi is, the more I thought through the business, a big nothing burger. Just think...a chance to compete with Uber...a company that has never turned a profit and has no path to profitability...even if you remove drivers. Why do you want to compete with a money losing pig ? Cars, trucks, everything energy. It's amazing that Tesla is such a great investment despite FSD being a bit of a ...sink.
To be fair, Uber had two straight profitable quarters recently, although the most recent one is mostly one-time deals based on windfalls from other investments. However, it's a fair point that they took a decade to do that (which may be one justification for Morgan's decade estimate for anything substantially positive to come from such a venture if Tesla were to try). Also, the revenue from deliveries ($2.4 billion) barely beat out out rides ($2.3 billion), and that is something that isn't going to really be easy to replicate with driverless cars (someone has to handle the loading and unloading).
Uber profitable for second quarter in a row as rides near pre-pandemic levels

...On robotaxi business - I definitely disagree. It can be a very profitable business. See Ark's spreadsheet.
Yes, it can be profitable with a big footnote: As long as it will have the ability to avoid hitting a green bollard!

One of the rationales to get rid of the radar and now use pure vision is to avoid the problem of colliding with stationary obstacles.

Reactions: Ramphex and 2101Guy
As far as FSD dates are concerned, the fact is, no one knows. Not Elon, not Andre, and certainly not some banker/analyst who thinks a neural net is something used in fishing. That's why all predictions, both optimistic and pessimistic, are just total guesses in the dark.

What is telling for me is that each FSD release is getting better, sometimes a lot better. If I think back to the first beta releases, with the steering wheel jerking all over the place (even when the car was stationary), sudden nervous pauses before making any sort of turn, and abrupt stops/starts, the beta has improved hugely. Sure, the car still doesnt do X or Y, so what? That's why its still beta, guys!
Yeah. Here’s what we do know; the banker’s prediction is certainly more in line with reality than anything Elon has ever said.

And that’s a guy who doesn’t know what a neural net is. If Elon is so smart, why is he so often, so wrong? I’ll answer that for you; it’s because he’s a slimy salesman.

Who is more credible? Elon Musk who is an engineer and has insider information as well as progress status or a banker?

A banker. For sure. Money talks…

Even if we approach the cars ability to fully self drive itself tomorrow there will beed to be many more years of validation, legal wrangling, regulatory frameworks developed, infrastructure improvements ect before actual level 5 autonomous driving can be delivered on a scale Musk invisions. And let’s not kid ourselves, fsd ain’t gonna be ready tomorrow.

I agree with your on the hardware ...but then I know it's not the current hardware and since they've announced hw4 lets face it..even EM knows it is not this HW version. I also can't imagine HW staying static for half a decade so I think 2 is a safe easy conservative estimate.
Any HW revision - would be incidental to how long it will take to get the SW working ? I can go with that ;)

On Ark. I used to think it was interesting..then I found out they had invested in Palantir and Palantir is a fraud. I only say that because I used to sell against them, I had friend responsible for the programs at the State Dept and other places (that suggested against them). A consulting business with so so software that is just so so. Paying management way way too much. Terrible business. I immediately began to question any analysis done by Ark because if anyone went to an actual customer of Palantir you'd have found the same thing I just wrote. They failed in the commercial space where we competed and withdrew. If you can't uncover that...what kind of analysts are you employing.
My reference to ARK has nothing to do with their analysis per se. You can take a look at their spreadsheet and play around with it. Plug in your own numbers and post it here. We can talk concrete numbers instead of hand waving ;)

Then I thought long and long and hard about the whole robotaxi model and I realized that I could not think of any family with child that would find it workable, maybe to take kids to school but that seems regulated out for now. Do you have children? Then I studied Uber...then I found out Uber had no profits....
We have talked a lot about this in other threads. As I said above use the ARK spreadsheet (or come up with your own) and we'll talk numbers.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
...No way to have a backup driver in bad weather like rain and snow...
L5 can operate in conditions that humans can but maybe a very cautious human can.

Humans can drive in the fog but that is not very wise as the recent fatal pileup accident of over 135 cars in Missouri demonstrated.

Thus, maybe L5 should be programmed to refuse to work in bad weather.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It's funny how different people look differently at the same thing. I would say that I am surprised at how little progress has been made between when I got Navigate on Autopilot back in October of 2018 and today. Mainly because even after 4 years of development and 15 months of beta testing of AutoSteer on City Streets (FSD Beta), the latest version still has the steering wheel jerking all over the place (even when the car was stationary), sudden nervous pauses before making any sort of turn, abrupt stops/starts, etc.

It's funny how different people look differently at the same thing. I would say that I am surprised at how little progress has been made between when I got Navigate on Autopilot back in October of 2018 and today. Mainly because even after 4 years of development and 15 months of beta testing of AutoSteer on City Streets (FSD Beta), the latest version still has the steering wheel jerking all over the place (even when the car was stationary), sudden nervous pauses before making any sort of turn, abrupt stops/starts, etc.
4 years ago the car could follow lane lines. That was pretty much it (not that, at that point, it wasn't impressive). Now the car can drive along complex city streets and handle parked cars, moving cars, pedestrians, bikes, dogs, traffic cones, speed bumps and other obstacles. It can also figure out complex lane markings, navigate lane changes far better than TACC/NOA, handle complex junctions, 4-way stops etc etc. I'd say that was a massive advance .. or do you know how it could have been done faster? If not, why do you think the rate of progress is slow?

As for jerkiness, pretty much all of the jerky steering has gone (for me) in the latest betas, and the overall smoothness has improved dramatically.

I wish Tesla provided a way to regress back to (say) 10.4 just so people see how far the car HAS come.

Last edited:
...traffic cones...
So how do you explain that the progress is so great that Tesla fired the driver who posted the collision with the green bollard?

If the progress is so great, the driver would not encounter a collision and he would not be fired.

Reactions: cwerdna
I’ll give you a hint, it’s not Elon.

His FSD timelines have been absolute, flat out, lies and exaggerations.

How’s that cross-country trip from LA to NY coming along? It’s 5 years later and I still have not seen it happen.
Indeed. Here are some pointers to some of Elon's claims on this (and others), compiled in 1 convenient location:

So how do you explain that the progress is so great that Tesla fired the driver who posted the collision with the green bollard?

If the progress is so great, the driver would not encounter a collision and he would not be fired.

Did I at any point claim FSD was complete? Or ready for release? Or defect free? Your argument seems to be "You can't claim progress has been made because there are still problems to be solved". I think perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word "progress".

Reactions: Yelobird
I'd say that was a massive advance .. or do you know how it could have been done faster? If not, why do you think the rate of progress is slow?
I could get into a discussion of which of all those things you mentioned that it really can't do or what I think the priorities should have been in development to have a more reasonable progression, but I don't see how any of that is germane. I don't have to prove that I know anything in order to express my perceptions of the rate that it has progressed.

The truth is that most of the information I have by which to judge the progress against expectation came directly from Elon Musk. So by that standard, yes, progress has been far slower than what the expectation was.