Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD attempts to run red light, twice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does it take to listen to and read the bug reports from a fleet of ~4 million cars though?

Because that's an insanely large tine commitment there's 0 evidence of them ever having the slightest interest in.

And I'm unaware of anyone, in 10+ years of Tesla selling cars, who got any response, let alone a thanks, for their feedback via this method. Are you?
You have software that parses that info. The software would look for patterns or similarities. I'm just guessing but Tesla pulls in a LOT of data from FSD cars....I'm pretty sure someone at Tesla is collecting that data. A human probably doesn't look at every report of course...but it probably gets pulled at certain intervals like the wording in the manual says.

It takes two seconds to report it. It's guaranteed nobody will look at it if you don't.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I've had FSD for roughly 10 months now. I've tempered my expectations and generally enjoy it more often that not. I've gotten pretty familiar with it's strengths and weakness over that period. However, yesterday I was surprised that it literally lurched into an intersection while waiting at a red light. This happened twice at the same red light. After the first lurch, where I had to stomp on the brakes, I noticed that the UI showed the red light to be blinking, or flashing (the actual light was NOT flashing, it was a solid red). Then it lurched again, and then I just left FSD disabled until we got away from that intersection. Also rebooted the computer, FWIW. Hasn't done it since, but I'm a little freaked out by that anomaly.

Anyone else had this happen?
Yes, I have been trying to report this to Tesla through the app but nothing seems to Change. I’m glad others are seeing this as well, and I have come to the conclusion that it is as somebody else describes below a hertz/pulse rate thing and how our camera interprets it. The reason I say that is it happens at three specific stoplights around my home, but not everywhere. But the same three lights I go to it always happens so it must be bulbs specific, I can’t imagine Tesla ever having this be considered fully autonomous until they fix this problem because it will kill people if it goes through a red light. I’ve had to slam on the brake every single time unless there’s a car in front of me because then it doesn’t go , I’d be happy to provide Tesla with specific street lights, but I’ve done that by recording it but I don’t know that anybody really pays attention to it

But the same three lights I go to it always happens so it must be bulbs specific,

Are they new LED traffic lights?

Our building's parking garage had LED bulbs put in for lighting and we can no longer use Sentry in the garage because the flickering of the bulbs triggers 'events' and we'd come down in the morning to between 300 and 500 events. Obviously, this defeats the sentry mode for recording activity. A useful tip for thieves.

If the cameras are interpreting LED traffic lights the same way, then FSD is a very very long way away. These are common in our area but we don't use FSDb off of highways so don't know how it would react. It does work on a few lights on highways in our area but I don't know if they are LED or not. The only way I can usually spot them is after a snowstorm when they remain snow covered because there's no heat to melt the snow off the lights.

The problem is harmonics. If the blinks of the light are similar to the capture speed of the camera it may simply miss the on (or off) cycle. Of course this is all speculation, but I have seen it too.

But, as an example, if you were to have someone to briefly flash lights in a room exactly every 2 seconds. Then you, in the same room, opened your eyes very briefly every 2 seconds as well. There is a case where, depending on aligning you might see only dark or conversely only light.
this hypothesis is easy to test. Save the Dashcam footage of the event (or other times when driving near the intersection and at a red light), and see if there is a flashing pattern recorded on the camera that wasn't visible to your eyes originally.

If the drive was recent enough, it might still be on the rolling recording, even if not explicitly saved. @Jmolloy3, probably worth checking ASAP if you can, before overwriting it with further driving recordings

Same here had FSD 11.4.4 try to run a red light as if it were a stop sign. Stopped then tried to roll through when there was no cross traffic. Usually works great on red lights but not sure what happened here. The fsd screen even had the stop lights as red.

This was in San Francisco exiting the freeway going into Octavia st.
Screenshot_20230802-083324.png
Screenshot_20230802-083352.png

What is regular FSD? Or did you mean Autopilot?

Autopilot only is intended for use on divided highways and just autosteers inside a single lane and has traffic-aware cruise control- that's it.

Regular FSD adds things like automatic lane changes, handling freeway interchanges and exist, and various summon and parking-related features (all of which also come with the EAP package), as well as handling stop signs and red lights.

FSD Beta is the version that also navigates city streets- taking turns at local intersections and the like.

This am FSD/11.3.6 had to decide on back to back lights: the main light was green, ahead of it was red light covering the RR crossing, rhe gates were up/ok to cross
FSD controlled, we pulled out of the parking lot and toward the main green light, right after the pull out there was the RR crossing light (before the main light)
Seems FSD missed seeing the crossing light for it was red and the vehicle went right through it and through the green main light

Very strange

Autopilot only is intended for use on divided highways and just autosteers inside a single lane and has traffic-aware cruise control- that's it.

Regular FSD adds things like automatic lane changes, handling freeway interchanges and exist, and various summon and parking-related features (all of which also come with the EAP package), as well as handling stop signs and red lights.

FSD Beta is the version that also navigates city streets- taking turns at local intersections and the like.
There is no such thing as "regular FSD", as it's still beta just like the street version. What you are talking about is actually EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot).

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
There is no such thing as "regular FSD", as it's still beta just like the street version. What you are talking about is actually EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot).

No, it's really not.

Regular FSD is the non-beta version that does not do city streets. It's what you get, by default, if you buy FSD in the US since March 2019. (Prior to March 2019 buying FSD got you something entirely different than buying it since then).

If you want city streets you have to then opt into fsdb, which is not the "regular" default FSD.

That regular FSD is quite SIMILAR to EAP, but not the same. EAP does not do stop signs and stop lights for example.

Also EAP has not actually been for sale in the US for much of the time since the big rearrangement of features in March 2019 (though it has come back a few times here and there in the US, and more often in Europe/China since almost 0 people buy FSD there)

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist