Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.10 Release Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And? 😃 Suspense is killing me!

Ski
I literally only went two miles. I got six more Last night. Busy day at the office. I had to disengage right off the bat when it would not take the exit ramp. It did that twice. Otherwise it continues to get smoother. 10.8.1 was prior version.
I have one intersection that the car has always tried to slow or stop at, it drove right through it last night no issue.
I’ll get over 100 miles today and 100+ tomorrow.
Our X had real bad Phantom braking issues in town with 10.10 And stopped using it. I want to see how that works out with this update 10.2 update When we get it.
Does anybody know what FSD beta uses to identify emergency vehicles? Is it flashing lights? I can't imagine whether it's also markings such a labels and license plates.
EMS vehicles run strobe that run specific pulse patterns. These patterns are what pre-emept traffic lights to all red, with the EMS getting the green. Problem is those strobes are on front of the true EMS vehicles, not tow trucks or other non life threatening cases.
Tesla could easily mimic the traffic light cadence for on coming but the rest may have to guess the patterns of the strobes or quantity of lights in a traffic or shoulder lane. I could see a real issue with road side advertisement signs freaking out the FSD.

I had a Neighbor’s house burn to the ground last week. It was real early in the morning and I was the only one on the road. They had the road 100% blocked. FSD continued to drive right up to them, I stopped at about 300’ and turned around. Not one thing showed up on my screen. I sent a clip to the mother ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoffEV
I literally only went two miles. I got six more Last night. Busy day at the office. I had to disengage right off the bat when it would not take the exit ramp. It did that twice. Otherwise it continues to get smoother. 10.8.1 was prior version.
I have one intersection that the car has always tried to slow or stop at, it drove right through it last night no issue.
I’ll get over 100 miles today and 100+ tomorrow.
Our X had real bad Phantom braking issues in town with 10.10 And stopped using it. I want to see how that works out with this update 10.2 update When we get it.

EMS vehicles run strobe that run specific pulse patterns. These patterns are what pre-emept traffic lights to all red, with the EMS getting the green. Problem is those strobes are on front of the true EMS vehicles, not tow trucks or other non life threatening cases.
Tesla could easily mimic the traffic light cadence for on coming but the rest may have to guess the patterns of the strobes or quantity of lights in a traffic or shoulder lane. I could see a real issue with road side advertisement signs freaking out the FSD.

I had a Neighbor’s house burn to the ground last week. It was real early in the morning and I was the only one on the road. They had the road 100% blocked. FSD continued to drive right up to them, I stopped at about 300’ and turned around. Not one thing showed up on my screen. I sent a clip to the mother ship.
Thanks. Here's why I'm asking. I was driving on a two lane road and I approached a county sheriff's SUV from behind, that was stopped in a line of traffic. As I got to about 20 ft from the SUV, FSD beta yanked the steering wheel to the right and attempted to pull into the shoulder. I caused a disengagement by maintaining a straight path. The SUV had no emergency lights flashing. The SUV was clearly marked from the rear as "Police" and had police license plates. I'm chalking this up to coincidence but I've never had FSD beta attempt to move to the shoulder with any previous version.

Thanks. Here's why I'm asking. I was driving on a two lane road and I approached a county sheriff's SUV from behind, that was stopped in a line of traffic. As I got to about 20 ft from the SUV, FSD beta yanked the steering wheel to the right and attempted to pull into the shoulder. I caused a disengagement by maintaining a straight path. The SUV had no emergency lights flashing. The SUV was clearly marked from the rear as "Police" and had police license plates. I'm chalking this up to coincidence but I've never had FSD beta attempt to move to the shoulder with any previous version.
Do you think it was trying to ”go around” thinking it was traffic? I assume the shoulder was paved. Mine has tried to go around right and left direction, once on an exit ramp

This would be great if it were reliable, but there are several reasons FSD can't use this approach
- Many (I think most) departments don't have such a system installed on their emergency vehicles, especially in rural areas where volunteer fire departments struggle to afford even the most basic equipment
- Some of these systems don't use visible light as the means to trigger the light change. Some are IR, some are radio, and I bet some rely on city infrastructure and GPS on the apparatus (i.e. central servers monitor en-route vehicles and trigger light changes ahead of their positions)
- Even the optical ones would be forward-facing only
- Even if there were a standard for this optical system (it would be in NFPA 1901 if anyone wants to do some reading, but I don't think it's there), it would only work in the US, and while some other countries might have similar standards, it's likely some countries wouldn't have such systems at all, so FSD couldn't work there without other means of identifying emergency vehicles

I've served in a volunteer fire department where I know for a fact we had no such system on our makeshift pickup truck response vehicle, although we did have flashing lights on top.

I've long thought identifying emergency vehicles would be one of the most difficult challenges to solve to get to true full-self driving. There are lots of different styles/colors/placements of lights on lots of different base vehicle chassis that are emergency vehicles, and there are also numerous vehicles with flashing lights you don't pull over for (snow plows, garbage trucks, random pick-up trucks used by construction companies that leave the lights flashing for no apparent reason, and there are also places (Korea is one example) where actual police cars have their lights slowly flashing at all times but switch to a much more aggressive flashing pattern when responding to an emergency)

Do you think it was trying to ”go around” thinking it was traffic? I assume the shoulder was paved. Mine has tried to go around right and left direction, once on an exit ramp
The shoulder was ordinary (probably the standard 10' width) and there was a utility pole just off the shoulder. I think that your explanation is correct.

This would be great if it were reliable, but there are several reasons FSD can't use this approach
- Many (I think most) departments don't have such a system installed on their emergency vehicles, especially in rural areas where volunteer fire departments struggle to afford even the most basic equipment
- Some of these systems don't use visible light as the means to trigger the light change. Some are IR, some are radio, and I bet some rely on city infrastructure and GPS on the apparatus (i.e. central servers monitor en-route vehicles and trigger light changes ahead of their positions)
- Even the optical ones would be forward-facing only
- Even if there were a standard for this optical system (it would be in NFPA 1901 if anyone wants to do some reading, but I don't think it's there), it would only work in the US, and while some other countries might have similar standards, it's likely some countries wouldn't have such systems at all, so FSD couldn't work there without other means of identifying emergency vehicles

I've served in a volunteer fire department where I know for a fact we had no such system on our makeshift pickup truck response vehicle, although we did have flashing lights on top.

I've long thought identifying emergency vehicles would be one of the most difficult challenges to solve to get to true full-self driving. There are lots of different styles/colors/placements of lights on lots of different base vehicle chassis that are emergency vehicles, and there are also numerous vehicles with flashing lights you don't pull over for (snow plows, garbage trucks, random pick-up trucks used by construction companies that leave the lights flashing for no apparent reason, and there are also places (Korea is one example) where actual police cars have their lights slowly flashing at all times but switch to a much more aggressive flashing pattern when responding to an emergency)
I have yet to see any beta reaction from emergency vehicles. Two days ago I was stopped at a right turn red light when two large firetrucks and several other emergency vehicles came charging up from behind. I was starting the right turn when I noticed and manually pulled car to the shoulder. After the first wave passed me I pulled back on to the road and engaged the beta. The first thing it did was charge ahead, switch lanes and try to pass the slower moving big firetrucks. More emergency vehicles came from behind with sirens and flashing lights - no slow slowdown or attempt to pull over from the car, it stayed left and ignored them all. So again I manually got right to let them all pass and upon re-engagement FSD tried again to run them down and pass them on the left, so I disengaged and moved right (two lane "city" highway), then engaged FSD and the car gave me "Moving out of far right lane" message and tried to move left, again in front of more emergency vehicles approaching from the rear. I just received 10.10.2 maybe it will do better.

I have yet to see any beta reaction from emergency vehicles. Two days ago I was stopped at a right turn red light when two large firetrucks and several other emergency vehicles came charging up from behind. I was starting the right turn when I noticed and manually pulled car to the shoulder. After the first wave passed me I pulled back on to the road and engaged the beta. The first thing it did was charge ahead, switch lanes and try to pass the slower moving big firetrucks. More emergency vehicles came from behind with sirens and flashing lights - no slow slowdown or attempt to pull over from the car, it stayed left and ignored them all. So again I manually got right to let them all pass and upon re-engagement FSD tried again to run them down and pass them on the left, so I disengaged and moved right (two lane "city" highway), then engaged FSD and the car gave me "Moving out of far right lane" message and tried to move left, again in front of more emergency vehicles approaching from the rear. I just received 10.10.2 maybe it will do better.
If I'm not mistaken, FSD only responds to emergency vehicles after dark. I'm not sure what the rationale is for that distinction.

Also, have to be traveling at high speed I think, so on the freeway only pretty much.
Yes.
"If Model3/ModelY detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreen displays a message informing you of the slowdown," a recently updated version of the driver's manual now states. "You will also hear a chime and see a reminder to keep your hands on the steering wheel. When the light detections pass by or cease to appear, Autopilot resumes your cruising speed. Alternatively, you may tap the accelerator to resume your cruising speed."
The article that I quoted (and numerous others) mentions just model Y and 3, so it appears that it only applies to those models.

If I'm not mistaken, FSD only responds to emergency vehicles after dark. I'm not sure what the rationale is for that distinction.
I went back and reread all the official and unofficial accounts regarding this alleged feature and you are correct. I don't see how this would ever work consistently, even the in just the US. There are just too many lighting combinations among the various jurisdictions. I suspect that Tesla must just rely on flashing red lights to identify emergency vehicles since they are the most common emergency lighting that is used in the US.

Waymo additionally uses microphones to detect ambient noise such as sirens. I doubt that the cabin ambient noise microphone in the Model S and X could be used in a similar manner, but you never know.

Drove 60 miles this morning 10.10.2 is doing real good. No disengagements

I noticed regene is working a lot better. I went back to a normal screen and now notice as soon as yellow light comes on the car goes right to regene and slows the car down.

My energy consumption has dropped down into the high 200’s down from the 400’s
This bodes well. Haven’t tested it yet. But nice to see improvements. Hopefully it’s consistent for you and others well!

Ski

....voice commands would be initiated with a prompt word like "Alexa"?
Hey Elon how much charge is left in the battery?
69%

Hey Elon engage Full Self Driving.
Available by the end of the year.

Hey Elon what time will I arrive at my destination?
4:20

Hey Elon set Wipers to Auto.
Two weeks

Hey Elon set regen brakes to standard
Failure is an option here

I suppose, but Tesla would need to create code for this new "sensor". Like lighting, sirens don't sound all that consistent either. Could the Model 3 and Y microphone be changed such that it's listening full time and the voice commands would be initiated with a prompt word like "Alexa"?
I like the "wake up" word (as I've written earlier).

One thing we don't know, though, is how directional the mic is. Echo mics are omnidirectional - but car mics would be better if they are directional since they want to respond better to driver voice than noises from all sides.

Drove 60 miles this morning 10.10.2 is doing real good. No disengagements

I noticed regene is working a lot better. I went back to a normal screen and now notice as soon as yellow light comes on the car goes right to regene and slows the car down.

My energy consumption has dropped down into the high 200’s down from the 400’s
I've never seen a new release affect energy consumption to that extent. For me the driver for energy consumption is temperature. Have your temperatures increased?