Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta coming to 98?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on 99, then 98 and now dropped to 97.

I did notice something interesting during a test drive of 6 miles last night at 8pm.
This is the road behind my home & traffic very sparse at night

I had exactly 42.7 FCW warnings despite minimal traffic & driving at a steady 40mph or less with a 3 car distance

Repeated the test at 10pm when traffic was even less & I still had a high number of FCW & 0 on everything else,
except any turn is counted as "aggressive"

I initially thought that approaching my garage was triggering the above, so in subsequent tests I parked outside & it had no effect.
I've also gone up the street for ~2 miles till I reach a cu-de-sac & do a wide turn & drive back & that will still trigger turn warnings

For all the tests above I'm using regen braking & since I'm driving ata low speed I let the car stop on it own & keep a long distance between cars
However if you are at a stoplight & if there's a car ahead of you , then it will randomly trigger an "aggressive following" warning

At this point I would not worry about the beta & will just drive normally, since I think the scoring system is inaccurate or late evening shadows are affecting the car
Though I do A/B tests at various times to eliminate lighting conditions.

2018 Model 3
HW 3.0

• Informative
Reactions: SunCharged
I thought I read on some post that Musk tweeted Tesla will start pushing FSD beta to us sorry saps sitting at 98 this Friday. Am I hallucinating wishful thoughts?

10.4 is expected to start rolling out this Friday 11/5 but it may drag out a few days for some. In an interesting twist the rollout may start in the afternoon as opposed to midnight PT.
Elon's tweet from 10/27:

1635956708449.png

Last edited:
FCW warnings are a unit per 1000 miles.

Yeah, I meant I'm seeing exactly 42.7 at various times which is really odd.

Drove the same route again at 9:30PM last night to pick up some food & this time score was 99 with 0 FCW, but multiple aggressive turn warnings

At this point I don't know about the above so will just wait it out & not stress over whether the beta shows up or not.

And back from 97 to 98 overall. 5.6 avg FCW on this drive.

Yeah, I think the evening shadows when entering the single garage etc may be throwing off the system and causing the 40+ warnings per drive on some drives

Also drove again last last night & made a perfect 100 on the same road to the same grocery store.

So I guess, I'll just leave it for now & see what happens on fri. :D

And back from 97 to 98 overall. 5.6 avg FCW on this drive.

Yeah, I think the evening shadows when entering the single garage etc may be throwing off the system and causing the 40+ warnings per drive on some drives

Also drove again last last night & made a perfect 100 on the same road to the same grocery store.

So I guess, I'll just leave it for now & see what happens on fri. :D
Try and use AP every chance you can. Know it can be inconvenient and sometimes a PIA on some roads but at least it will protect your score.

I am using AP on the freeway. It a little bit tricker on the winding back road that I use.
AP does work on that, though because of the low speed I can see when the calibrations a kicking in between regular firmware releases.
I work in ML & software (non-vision stuff) & so this is always interesting to see & test & I usually try to file a bug report if I see an edge case

This is why, though it would be nice to get the beta, I'm not too stressed about the score to getting it to 98/99/100

If I do see an edge case in regular firmware even it's not FSD related, I will try to do A/B tests to make sure it reproducible & then call it in at the nearest SC with a detailed email with steps on reproducing the issue.

I did this a few years ago with the passenger seat heater randomly turning itself off & the sequence was Park/turn on seat heater/ Shift reverse/drive back approx. 5 ft & the heater will automatically turn off.
SC was able to verify this & it was fixed next firmware update.

Anyone seeing bugs should see if they are 100% reproducible & then write down the steps & call it in.
Tesla is very good at following up on detailed reports & will address the issue.

and back to 97.
11 miles with a score of 57.
Drove at 25mph with no issues & on the way back the FCW flashed red on the screen on a car that was turning right in the adjacent lane about 4 or 5 car lengths ahead of me.

There were no other cars in either lane at the time apart from my car & the one turning right and another 42.7 ding
Clear sunny day.

Drove that same route twice yesterday with much more traffic and no issues.

This is getting comical, because I'm seeing more warnings closer to every beta release date than on the other days & if assertion shows up in similar cases then it makes it possible to drive in bulk at the onset of the week than later in the week

or the likely cause is an issue with 2021.32.22 & the sensors in my car.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCharged
will they first update the existing 10.3 Beta testers to 10.4, then start with the 98/99 scores
I estimate there's ~4k FSD Beta testers that got in with 100 score and ~7k with 99 score with 98 score also about that much. Also adding 98 scores will likely push total FSD Beta population to over 20k with a ~40% expansion.

With the expected 1k/hour rollout starting say Friday 4pm, that's rolled out by Saturday 8am if not including 98 scores or by 2pm if including 98 scores. So not that much of a difference either way.

Reactions: K5TRX
ok, so more trip same route to cvs to get some meds & this time the score was 100
Overall still at 97

I did notice the route back has trees over head so some parts of the road are shaded and also on 2121.32.22 when I put the car in reverse everyone once in a while the backup camera will not intialize, which I'm pretty sure is a firmware issue

I have 2 more errands to run later today in later afternoon, so this will be a good test.

I think its a combination of one of my sensors & firmware that is the primary culprit on this road, though I'm trying to get the exact sequence of steps that is causing the issue

ok so, if you do multiple trips in a day & have one bad trip, it's counting each trip as complete as soon as you exit the car & close the door & the car beeps & the mirrors fold

You could in theory drive around in a giant loop at a low speed 25mph & negate any FCW's that came up on the trip on which you scored poorly
eg I had 42.7 & then the false reading with the car on the right which bumped it to 98.6 for that one trip

2 more trips on the same route, because I forgot to stop at cvs on the way out & now the fcw total for today is 36.7
This literally involved driving the same road & then driving back at 25mph which had everything at 0

I think Tesla may improve this a bit at some point to reduce the false positives & also gaming the system does not really provide good data at the other end.

Yeah, I meant I'm seeing exactly 42.7 at various times which is really odd.

Drove the same route again at 9:30PM last night to pick up some food & this time score was 99 with 0 FCW, but multiple aggressive turn warnings

At this point I don't know about the above so will just wait it out & not stress over whether the beta shows up or not.

There is nothing at all odd about this. If you have a set route you take that is ~23.42 miles and get a FCW, then every single trip that occurs on will have a 42.7 FCW/1000 miles reading.

Reactions: K5TRX
You could in theory drive around in a giant loop at a low speed 25mph & negate any FCW's that came up on the trip on which you scored poorly
eg I had 42.7 & then the false reading with the car on the right which bumped it to 98.6 for that one trip
You're a little behind in this "game" :)

First - set FCW to "medium" - that's what it judges you on regardless of what you have it set to. Now that you match the score's setting, if it goes off, you know you will get dinged in the score.

Then, if you do get dinged on a drive, a two-scroll-weel-reset will throw out the current drive. Like it never happened.

Finally, If you the best thing to do if you want to get miles @ 100 is go out on the freeway and drive 100% on AP for however long you want. Nothing that AP does counts against you, but the miles count toward your total.

Also, "close following" is only monitored above 50mph, so if you can get AP engaged before you hit 50, then even better.

(except for the reset) All of this is outlined on Tesla's Safety Score page

Reactions: rxlawdude and K5TRX
and back to 97.
11 miles with a score of 57.
Drove at 25mph with no issues & on the way back the FCW flashed red on the screen...
You could have done a reset and the trip would have been deleted.

Tesla Score Reset To Delete a Bad Trip or Event:
What do you do if someone cuts you off or you have a bad event, especially an Auto Pilot Disengagement Third Strike?
Here is how to delete the event and the entire trip since you last were in Park.
  1. Do NOT go into Park. Do NOT open any car door as this also puts the car in Park.
  2. Pull over in a safe spot, come to a stop, and let the car go into Hold (H).
  3. Press and hold the two thumb wheels on the steering wheel at the same time.
  4. Continue to hold the two wheels until the Cell Phone bars icon changes to a slash.
  5. Once the screen goes black, press the Park button.
  6. Wait until the map comes back up on the screen. Go into Drive, then Park again.
Tesla Score Reset Notes:
  • If you Park before the reset, the trip may be already logged and the reset may fail.
  • If you do not press Park after the reset, the next trip, until you do Park, may also be deleted.

Reactions: sodakar
I thought Elon said Safety Scores of 98 would get the FSD beta today Friday Nov 5th? I've got nothing and am still on software version 2021.32.22. I finally made it to a score of 98 and I'm leaving for a long drive tomorrow and am afraid my score will go down and I'll have to wait that much long to get the beta. This sucks!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I thought Elon said Safety Scores of 98 would get the FSD beta today Friday Nov 5th? I've got nothing and am still on software version 2021.32.22. I finally made it to a score of 98 and I'm leaving for a long drive tomorrow and am afraid my score will go down and I'll have to wait that much long to get the beta. This sucks!
Just reboot at the end of every drive before you put in park and your score will not change.