Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see it happening yet, since the regulations are still not in place yet. They keep saying they are going to allow you to do things like watching something on the cars screen while on the motorway.
You mean the regulations that are currently in place that would allow hands off ALKS at 60kmh on certain situations like motorway traffic jams and being extended to 130kmh in a months time which would make for a very useful feature on longer distance driving.

Caveat - Tesla would need to gain type approval which I hope is what this testing is otherwise there would be no excuse to hide behind.

they want it to drive on UK roads where there are that temporary white line remnants that even humans get confused

What FSD is currently capable of, and what the current AutoPilot/Summon/Park can do, are night-and-day.

Feature improvements could have been extracted from FSD and rolled out to fleet ... but that hasn't happened (and quite possibly that is either "way too hard" or "Commercially can't be bothered"). Maybe we will suddenly find that someone has decided to cannibalise FSD into fleet-OTA-features ... time will tell. Or even to FSD subscribers. Heck, I'd even like to get routine OTA Updates on my FSD car before the non-FSD one, but that hasn't happened on any update to date ... almost certainly "Not a priority".

Reactions: Avendit
You mean the regulations that are currently in place that would allow hands off ALKS at 60kmh on certain situations like motorway traffic jams and being extended to 130kmh in a months time which would make for a very useful feature on longer distance driving.

Caveat - Tesla would need to gain type approval which I hope is what this testing is otherwise there would be no excuse to hide behind.
Is it actually cleared in the UK ?
I know the UNCE was making it legal, the UK keep mentioning it and I was more convinced that we would have fusion power before then lol

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and M3noob
You mean the regulations that are currently in place that would allow hands off ALKS at 60kmh on certain situations like motorway traffic jams
AFAIK these regulations never actually made it into law. In fact, I don't even think the change has been presented to parliament owing to the distraction of Boris Johnson fathering extra children at Downing Street parties and Liz Truss crashing the economy.

Our government is singularly incompetent.

Interpret it how you want, but my interpretation of https://unece.org/media/transport/Vehicle-Regulations/press/368227 is that we are certainly still (as of right now) currently listed as an active participant of UN Regulation 157 since Jan 2021. 157 is the regulation for ADS (automatic driving system) at 60kmh, soon to be amended to 130kmh, which built upon the L3 AKLS regulations from 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
We are still in it, though it still has to be integrated into UK law AFAIK.
This reads to me that cars that meet the UNECE type approval become part of the approved UK vehicle list.

My interpretation is that gaining type approval and fulfilling UK traffic laws is the restriction for currently 60kmh and as of Jan to exceed UK speed limit at 130kmh

I'm not arguing with you on that bit, the real hurdle is the integration into the road traffic act / Highway code.
I'm struggling to find where road traffic act specifically prevents this. Please share where this is specifically prevented by road traffic act.

The only thing mentioned is that there are currently no vehicles approved/registered for this in the UK. That is not the same as saying that no vehicles can be allowed - I cannot see anything that blocks use of a suitably registered vehicle. It looks like everything was covered in an 2018 act which also covers current Tesla autopilot assist features (rule 150), although probably not Level 4 where liability changes from <= L3 driver is ultimately responsible for of the vehicle, to L4 where there doesn't actually have to be a legal driver in the vehicle, which is the fundamental difference between L3 and L4, the latter potentially required to be more robust and driving domain more specific to allow a driverless vehicle to operate wholly in that domain where as L3 will gracefully hand back control when it comes across a situation (rather than pre determined domain limitation) it cannot handle, eg, with current 60kmh limitation, when car is about to exceed that limit due to a queue clearing etc.

• Informative
Reactions: JupiterMan and GSP
I’m annoyed that the FSD I paid for three years ago is not transferable to my MY.
I’ve always thought this was dumb. It’s a software option so it’s not like it would cost Tesla real money for you to take it with you and it would increase the lock-in effect to their brand if you could have features ‘for free’ if your next car was another Tesla.