Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just coming to this topic fresh as a newbie maybe looking for my first electric car as my employer now offers salary sacrifice scheme with the tax incentives
Honestly, I think youā€™ve got to be mad to be buying the Tesla FSD add on now. Tesla Iā€™m sure will improve on EAP over the next 5 years but I reckon proper FSD as Elon dreams it is 2-3 decades away in the UK and will almost certainly need government support and infrastructure changes. Cloud cuckoo land, lots of hot air but weā€™re still a million miles from anything workable and safe.

Reactions: zoros
Just coming to this topic fresh as a newbie maybe looking for my first electric car as my employer now offers salary sacrifice scheme with the tax incentives
Honestly, I think youā€™ve got to be mad to be buying the Tesla FSD add on now. Tesla Iā€™m sure will improve on EAP over the next 5 years but I reckon proper FSD as Elon dreams it is 2-3 decades away in the UK and will almost certainly need government support and infrastructure changes. Cloud cuckoo land, lots of hot air but weā€™re still a million miles from anything workable and safe.
Its happening.

We can debate whether it will be HW3 or HW4 or HW5, we can debate when local laws will allow it, but on the evidence of it we now see in the USA, and recent rates of progress,.... I would think 2-3 decade timeframe is a long way off.

I would wager that in the world somewhere, Tesla will have autonomous cars by 2026 at the latest.

in the UK the Automated Vehicles Bill is actually going through parliament right now, and will likely receive royal ascent in this session of parliament. sure still some political boxes to tick, but even the legal bit is happening along with the technological bit.

I would wager that in the world somewhere, Tesla will have autonomous cars by 2026 at the latest.
What exactly do you mean by ā€œautonomous carsā€? Cars that can achieve Level 5 autonomy without any restrictions such as geofencing? Cars that, as the Musk keeps promising, donā€™t need pedals or a steering wheel? Thereā€™s no way weā€™ll see that anywhere in 2026 or for a long time after.

For all the hype even FSD in the US is just a Level 2 driver assist system.

What exactly do you mean by ā€œautonomous carsā€? Cars that can achieve Level 5 autonomy without any restrictions such as geofencing? Cars that, as the Musk keeps promising, donā€™t need pedals or a steering wheel? Thereā€™s no way weā€™ll see that anywhere in 2026 or for a long time after.

For all the hype even FSD in the US is just a Level 2 driver assist system.
It is very impressive but the jump to removing the steering wheel completely is a big jump. Have to agree that's a good ways off.

Also how many people will be happy to jump into a car with no driver or steering wheel as a taxi. We cannot have Self flying planes or even Self driving trains because it makes people uncomfortable. It'll take a while for people to come around and that will take even longer if they get in and it doesn't drive pretty much perfectly.

I guess if it comes to LHD Europe, should be no reason a RHD taken over there wouldnā€™t then be able to use FSD youā€™d assume? Unless they donā€™t push the software or just wonā€™t allow it for RHD cars anyway.

Something tells me RHD wonā€™t be coming soon. Be along the same timeline we get RHD Model S / X.
If it comes to France....Iā€™ll drive up to England to test it

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I'm not sure they're going to improve EAP. It's basically abandoned in favour of FSD, and whilst that isn't happening we're stuck on an old branch of code which hasn't substantially changed since 2019.
The EAP code base that we run on has indeed been abandoned multiple years ago, but that in NA has the occupancy network etc. (originally called Tesla vision)
You only have to watch highway driving clips on YouTube to see the massive changes
Remember FSD is just driving on city streets

The EAP code base that we run on has indeed been abandoned multiple years ago, but that in NA has the occupancy network etc. (originally called Tesla vision)
You only have to watch highway driving clips on YouTube to see the massive changes
Remember FSD is just driving on city streets
I think at some point, long before FSD hits our roads they'll bring us some of the FSD stack for motorway autopilot.

Staying ahead of their competitors in this space is important and while none yet have something like FSD, many have an as good or even better autopilot equivalent. Most won't pay for FSD and in the UK it does nothing anyway so Tesla will just be deemed to have worse cruise control than other brands.

I'd like to see them match Bluecruise or maybe beat it. Auto lane change with no input and hands off with eye tracking only. I don't think they've truly mastered their eye tracking from the interior camera but they are working on it. They have to have that tech for new cars now anyway for other safety reasons.