Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I think this piece of news throws the cat amongst the pigeons. I’m hoping Tesla might be getting this sorted. I really wouldn’t mind the ability to let go of the wheel, even if only on motorways.

2 thoughts here:
1. musky's too tight to pony up
2. musky knows there's no point in ponying up as his software isn't fit for purpose

Reactions: CWT3LR
Oh what an embarrassment for Tesla - They led the way for so many years and indeed the only manufacturer that claimed full self driving and leader in software development.
We all knew other manufacturers would get up to speed at some point - and i suspect the Ford system will be full of flaws too - but they are making the news - its high profile publicity - something that Tesla dominated for many years, but its fantastic progress that another marque has its name attached to greater driver assistance systems - perhaps Twitter will take a less dominant role and a bit more focus towards Tesla will ensue.

Ford have a big customer base in the UK and in the eyes of many customers Ford is seen as a British company simply because of the years of production in the UK. They have a reputation for building cars that people want - and indeed I have had 10 Fords over the last 45 years. All were perhaps middle of the road but loaded with gadgets that made them desirable as I usually bought the Ghia models or equivalent.
I for one would be very interested in an all electric Ford of a similar size to the Focus that is fully loaded (Don't like SUVs) and indeed they would get my order.

I have said previously, I do love my M3P but will never buy another Tesla due to the penny pinching, the companies dishonesty and the lack of desire to fix long standing issues - not faults but poor performing software.

My fingers are crossed that this publicity will give Ford a big boost and in the near future a range of EVs - this news excites me.

his software isn't fit for purpose

Neither is the hardware. I drove my MS R from Derby to Sunderland and back the other day and it was the worst (most frustrating) experience since owning the car. Clear, dry weather, sunny / broken cloud, around 10 to 12 degrees. I noticed when I started out that there was a bit of condensation in b cam's, not exceptionally bad though. Unusually I noticed a small patch of condensation in front camera window which I haven't seen before. No issues during the previous drive. I never use a/c, always vent windows, avoid driving in wet weather. The b cams were worse when I arrived than when I started out, but no issues with condensation inside car windows.

The whole drive was plagued with different 'cameras blinded' messages. Lane Change would be fine for a few times, then abort mid way. Others it just put on the indicator and then never attempted the lane change. No message. Several times drivers behind were left wondering what I was doing when they waited for me to pull out but didn't. Then I had to guess if they were going to accelerate quickly to pass the moron in front who didn't know what he was doing.

Mix in the usual steady stream of (bogus) advice about which lane I should move into to get away from traffic cones, follow my route or get out of the passing lane and really was fed up by the time I arrived. The return journey started out much the same so I gave up on AP completely.

I'm still clinging onto .8 software so I have radar. Haven't had any Phantom Braking recently, but not thanks to changes in software. Having stopped installing updates I am aware how the car can often give the impression that behaviours have changed that one would probably put down to software updates.... if any had been installed.

And incase anyone still thinks Tesla has a solution for this condensation issue (other than may be HW4), I haven't seen it and they haven't managed to fix it on my car.

During this drive the hardware on my car proved to me that it manifestly is not suitable for delivering consistent and reliable function of systems that depend on it. And that's regardless of regulatory approval!

Attachments

• IMG_20230409_122851.jpg
    IMG_20230409_122851.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230409_151259.jpg
    IMG_20230409_151259.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GT_M3 and goRt
I believe (undocumented) the front camera heater is switched on with a single press of the front demister (a long press gives you full demist/fans etc). As for B pillar cameras - meh glwt - they don't have heaters.

I care rather less that FSD has not been delivered even if I did pay over the odds for it thinking well surely they have to deliver something useful by now, I do care when it gets worse to the point it is both unpleasant to use, and arguably outright dangerous if the driver does not have his alertness and stress level set to max. I do also care that performance is inconsistent between software builds, so stuff that used to work suddenly doesn't and that no explanation is provided in the release notes.

Well, there’s your problem.
I disagree. As soon as I use a/c (in Tesla only, other EV's no problem) I get huge swings in humidity. I've had the inside of the windscreen / shield dripping with condensation on one occasion.

There is no humidy issue causing any condensation on inside of glass..... except b-pillar cams.

I agree that a/c should be good at dehumidifying - and in my Kona EV it is great. Its a/c also self purges if ever it detects excess humidity build up. Which is a rare thing.

In any case.... to answer your 'suggestion'.... of course I didn't start off not using a/c. I stopped using it to reduce the problems it caused. As it happens, for the journey in question, there was no need to use a/c unless Tesla now mandate a/c must be on at all times to demist b-pillar cams - which it doesn't do anyway. Ambient not high humidity or high temps.

T
Oh what an embarrassment for Tesla - They led the way for so many years and indeed the only manufacturer that claimed full self driving and leader in software development.
We all knew other manufacturers would get up to speed at some point - and i suspect the Ford system will be full of flaws too - but they are making the news - its high profile publicity - something that Tesla dominated for many years, but its fantastic progress that another marque has its name attached to greater driver assistance systems - perhaps Twitter will take a less dominant role and a bit more focus towards Tesla will ensue.

Ford have a big customer base in the UK and in the eyes of many customers Ford is seen as a British company simply because of the years of production in the UK. They have a reputation for building cars that people want - and indeed I have had 10 Fords over the last 45 years. All were perhaps middle of the road but loaded with gadgets that made them desirable as I usually bought the Ghia models or equivalent.
I for one would be very interested in an all electric Ford of a similar size to the Focus that is fully loaded (Don't like SUVs) and indeed they would get my order.

I have said previously, I do love my M3P but will never buy another Tesla due to the penny pinching, the companies dishonesty and the lack of desire to fix long standing issues - not faults but poor performing software.

My fingers are crossed that this publicity will give Ford a big boost and in the near future a range of EVs - this news excites me.
The problem here is that Ford are a bit confused over future strategy. They have indicated they wish to withdraw from the "small car" market. But they have announced a BEV version of the Puma, which is small?

Anyway, they have announced 2 new SUV BEVs for Europe, their Transit range (from Tourneo Connect to full size Trannies), and a refresh of the Explorer. Seems likely they will hit their target of 2 million BEVs a year by 2027. I can't wait, best car I ever had was a Ford.

Reactions: GlynG
The Ford Puma SUV is slightly bigger than the current VW Golf. I’m not sure that really counts as a small car, though my do these days with almost all cars getting bigger. I think when Ford said they were pulling out of small cars they really meant the likes of the Fiesta, where production stops in June.

The Ford Puma SUV is slightly bigger than the current VW Golf. I’m not sure that really counts as a small car, though my do these days with almost all cars getting bigger. I think when Ford said they were pulling out of small cars they really meant the likes of the Fiesta, where production stops in June.
It might have external dimensions bigger than a Golf, but it is really tight inside. I've never understood small crossover thingies, unless it is for the slightly raised seat height.