Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fsd beta not responding to my torquing steering wheel causing unjust strikeouts and kicked me out wrongly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please share who to contact at Tesla to report unjust strikeout issues?
I've received 5 strikeouts and system kicked me out of fsd beta due to erroneous software. Torquing the wheel and scrolling wheel buttons not always detected by Tesla software and no fault of mine resulting in fsd beta being wrongfully taken away from me.

I've received 5 strikeouts and system kicked me out of fsd beta due to erroneous software. Torquing the wheel and scrolling wheel buttons not always detected by Tesla software and no fault of mine resulting in fsd beta being wrongfully taken away from me.

Assuming you are not just doing it wrong, there could be an issue with your car. Have you contacted your nearest Tesla Service Center to get it fixed? Just submit a service appointment via the Tesla app with a description of your problem and the service center should contact you. If your car needs to be fixed, they might do a OTA softwate update to fix the problem, they might do a mobile service appointment or have you bring your car in to the service center to be fixed. And they can restore FSD beta.

Eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel, and keep the wheel weight off the wheel. Drive the car and you will be fine. Takes just small steering input to satisfy any nags. Seems to work better if you are NOT constantly torquing the wheel now. Just natural steering inputs.

What car do you have? Did the strikes happen at night? There is a small chance of a hardware failure of course.

It's not a software problem. If it was, everyone would have received five strikes by now since we all have the same software.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel, and keep the wheel weight off the wheel. Drive the car and you will be fine. Takes just small steering input to satisfy any nags. Seems to work better if you are NOT constantly torquing the wheel now. Just natural steering inputs.

What car do you have? Did the strikes happen at night? There is a small chance of a hardware failure of course.
2018 rwd model 3.
At times the car doesn't respond to my hands on wheel and torquing... Nor the scroll wheels... The car flashes and I'm scrolling the steering wheel buttons, nothing happens... I apply torque to the wheel... Keeps flashing faster and nothing happens... I torque the wheel harder as the lights flash faster and the audible alert gets louder... Nothing happens... Eventually I apply the brakes to disconnect fsd beta to try and avoid a wrongful strike but to no avail and receive a strike.
This doesn't happen often... But, in last 3 months since getting fsd beta it happened a total of 5 frustrating times.
As a laymen it seems to me as if the software is not detecting my input because it's performing something else in the background. Very annoying to be punished for something that I didn't do. I'm paying attention to the road, applying torque to the wheel when prompted but I get kicked out of fsd beta. It's just wrong and needs to be fixed.

Even on AP, there are times when changing volume/speed via scroll wheels sometimes (most times) works to cancel the nag, then other times doesnt work. Thus, its not working the way the documentation claims its supposed to work.

2018 rwd model 3.
At times the car doesn't respond to my hands on wheel and torquing... Nor the scroll wheels... The car flashes and I'm scrolling the steering wheel buttons, nothing happens... I apply torque to the wheel... Keeps flashing faster and nothing happens... I torque the wheel harder as the lights flash faster and the audible alert gets louder... Nothing happens... Eventually I apply the brakes to disconnect fsd beta to try and avoid a wrongful strike but to no avail and receive a strike.
This doesn't happen often... But, in last 3 months since getting fsd beta it happened a total of 5 frustrating times.
As a laymen it seems to me as if the software is not detecting my input because it's performing something else in the background. Very annoying to be punished for something that I didn't do. I'm paying attention to the road, applying torque to the wheel when prompted but I get kicked out of fsd beta. It's just wrong and needs to be fixed.
If you have a safe camera mount would be good to capture this. For Tesla Service too.

Just focus on torque. Remember have to torque in opposite direction if torque already is applied.

Remove any defeat device first of course (mandatory). Just interferes with debug.

It’s possible there is some issue with torque sensing.

I never have any issue clearing with steering, especially if I am not applying torque before the warning. Just easier to manage if either direction clears.

Takes just a nudge and these days it seems to hardly ever nag at all (if driving with eyes on road and no distractions or screen use). Of course I am signaling lane changes and adjusting speed and disengaging all the time (I disengage on most traffic lights due to the FSD system limitations with traffic control devices) so it is hard for me to know what the baseline rate is. But freeways seem good and I am not sure attention monitoring system is significantly different in NOA.

Assuming you are not just doing it wrong, there could be an issue with your car. Have you contacted your nearest Tesla Service Center to get it fixed? Just submit a service appointment via the Tesla app with a description of your problem and the service center should contact you. If your car needs to be fixed, they might do a OTA softwate update to fix the problem, they might do a mobile service appointment or have you bring your car in to the service center to be fixed. And they can restore FSD beta.
Thanks for your quick reply. I've contacted service... To be continued...

If you have a safe camera mount would be good to capture this. For Tesla Service too.

Just focus on torque. Remember have to torque in opposite direction if torque already is applied.

Remove any defeat device first of course (mandatory). Just interferes with debug.

It’s possible there is some issue with torque sensing.

I never have any issue clearing with steering, especially if I am not applying torque before the warning. Just easier to manage if either direction clears.

Takes just a nudge and these days it seems to hardly ever nag at all (if driving with eyes on road and no distractions or screen use). Of course I am signaling lane changes and adjusting speed and disengaging all the time (I disengage on most traffic lights due to the FSD system limitations with traffic control devices) so it is hard for me to know what the baseline rate is. But freeways seem good and I am not sure attention monitoring system is significantly different in NOA.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

This has happened to me as well. Many times, but especially with the latest FSDB releases.

Hand on the wheel. Not on the phone or messing with the screen. No FSD defeat device. Looking ahead, eyes open, no glasses.

Blue Flash of Death, start scrolling, torqueing, then Bam!! Strike and lockout for the remainder of the ride.

Now I know to more quickly recognize when it's not responding to my input, and I manually deactivate FSD by pushing the stalk up. Then double-tap down and I'm back in business.

I got to four strikes before I figured this workaround out.

It doesn't happen all the time, or even that frequently, which is why it took me a while to recognize when it's in a mood, haha!!

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Blue Flash of Death, start scrolling, torqueing, then Bam!! Strike and lockout for the remainder of the ride.
No beeping before the strike beeps?

Sadly still no video capture of these events.

I tried to reproduce this this morning by applying constant torque and while it came up and nagged me every couple minutes, the continued applied torque (same direction) would eventually (but not immediately) clear the nag (actually kind of weird…if the torque was sufficient to clear the nag, why the nag? In fact with recent builds, I feel that I get fewer nags if I don’t torque the wheel, presumably some side effect of their terrible algorithm of detecting defeat devices…). This morning on my steady torque freeway section, I got 4-5 nags over about 10 minutes. Normally I get perhaps 1 or 2, if that (with no wheel torquing).

But no defeat detected. So not sure how that happens.

Last edited:
No beeping before the strike beeps?

Sadly still no video capture of these events.

I tried to reproduce this morning by applying constant torque and while it came up and bagged me every couple minutes the continued applied torque (same direction) would eventually (but not immediately) clear the nag.

But no defeat detected. So not sure how that happens.
No.

Driving along in FSDB, then sudden urgent blue flashes (the kind that usually only happened when you ignored the first subtle nags) that won't clear with scrolling or torque. Goes from 'Everything's Jake' to 'Quit being an irresponsible A-hole RIGHT NOW!!' haha.

The only thing that will stop it is cancelling FSD with the stalk.