Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All you need to know about how people really feel is:

When they get the software, all of a sudden all of the complaining will go away.
If I was Elon reading these messages I would just give everyone FSD Beta. Let everyone play with the new toy and then revoke it after a week for unspecified rule breaking, or possibly for actual rule breaking.

Like I can't believe they actually sell this thing:
I mean honestly. Here's the disclaimer: "An often boisterous game, recommended for players age 16 and up." Sure, what could go wrong.
45K1787-mini-axe-throwing-game-f-0179.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
All you need to know about how people really feel is:

When they get the software, all of a sudden all of the complaining will go away.

Did you miss the Smart Summon release?
Did you miss the Navigate on Autopilot release?

There hasn't been a release of any significant feature set within FSD without complaining. Probably the most well received one was traffic light, and stop sign response. But, that one is pretty limited in scope.

I look forwards to the FSD beta because I feel like it would do really well in some common situations. Most of where it seems to have difficulty I don't typically do. I'm also curious to see what if any difference it makes to NoA. I personally feel like NoA is ridiculously bad. I can't see it getting any better till V9 of the FSD code. That's when the 360 degree visualization is supposed to land.

Most of my negativity towards FSD is about human capability in overseeing an FSD yet still L2 system.

I'm not sure how one can be positive about FSD.

If one takes the stance that FSD is going to be great they have to accept that accidents will happen due to people trusting it too much, and edge cases occurring. Where enough incidents will likely happen that the media will be all over it, and Tesla will be forced to put limitations on it. This happened back with AP1 when the first US fatality happened. Tesla added a bunch of nags that quite honestly were not necessary, and took away from experience of it.

If one takes the stance that FSD is going to make a lot of mistakes, and people won't trust it then they're basically saying FSD sucks. I strongly feel like the reason there hasn't been an accident so far is it sucks enough for people not to trust it.

So what's the solution?

The only solution I can see being viable is Tesla will release a version much more limited than what we see in the FSD beta V8.2 videos. Where they simply won't allow some of the more dangerous stuff. That allows a more controlled FSD beta to continue on while satisfying the need to release at least something to buyers.

This of course will lead to complaints because people will feel like they were baited.

Now I won't feel baited. Instead I'll be the weirdo that goes "oh, socks for Christmas. Sure its not really what I wanted, but hey I needed some socks".

Now I'm not ruling out that they'll release it without much limiting. There is some rationality in getting ahead of any federal regulatory changes on L2 vehicles. FSD City driving is massively important to Tesla's FSD direction so they might release it with some pretty firm disclaimers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The only solution I can see being viable is Tesla will release a version much more limited than what we see in the FSD beta V8.2 videos.

This would be fine by me. They've been holding back on even minor improvements to the public release. Just give us no confirmation stop signs and traffic lights for starters! And maybe, maybe AP on unmarked roads. They can leave the turns out for now. Or give us the entire beta. But one or the other.

This would be fine by me. They've been holding back on even minor improvements to the public release. Just give us no confirmation stop signs and traffic lights for starters! And maybe, maybe AP on unmarked roads. They can leave the turns out for now. Or give us the entire beta. But one or the other.

I'm going to be pretty excited the first time they release any no-confirmation go.

Whether its a stop light, stop sign or roundabout.

So far nothing in EAP/FSD makes a decision without some kind of confirmation. Even the non-confirmation lane change really has a confirmation in making sure the there has been steering torque detected after the indicator goes on.

I would even be pretty happy with a stealthy FSD beta like what I believe you were describing. I currently can't use AP in city streets because the car will re-center on into turn lanes that open up. This won't happen with the FSD beta so it would immediately improve that. The other reason I can't use AP in city streets is it doesn't know to slow down before a blind corner that's a couple hundred feet or so in front of a stop light. I slow down not just for the corner, but in case traffic is backed up. The FSD beta might or might not fix this.

My feeling is they'll release the ability to get into the correct turn lane, but they won't have any no-confirmation go. So if you turning left or right at an uncontrolled intersection it won't do it without a push of the throttle. The coolest thing will be a stop sign where you'll get a beep when its your time to go.

but but but @powertoold told me that in about 30 days, FSD Beta will surpass humans. That it will be able to go 150k miles between a disengagement that will lead to an accident. This prompted a 3 page discussion on 150k miles per disengagement.

Alas, @powertoold like elon musk when he knows he will be wrong, just makes another prediction.
Now the next guarantee is end of 2021, which is about 9 months away.
Both will fail and then he will make another one like clockwork.
Another Ray of Sunshine from Motor City. (Gee, I wonder who he works for?)

The incident at ~12 minutes seemed particularly risky, and completely avoidable with rapid and firm application of the brake pedal. That's what made me cringe.
yes, well frankly I was cringing through the whole video. I think my blood pressure shot up just watching it. I'm willing to take lottery bets on what day he will be on the evening news as a dead Tesla driver :oops: That said, I do wish every video were edited like his. Nice job on that.

#FSDBeta 8.2 - 2021.4.11.1 - 4K Drone View of Unprotected Left Turns with Forward Facing Traffic

I used to work near there and would walk to Chinatown for lunch sometimes. No one, and I mean, No One, should be testing any beta FSD in that area or in downtown SF (where I also was at). Fools going to get into an accident or hurt someone testing FSD.
FSD is nowhere remotely close to being ready to use in a downtown area like this.

I used to work near there and would walk to Chinatown for lunch sometimes. No one, and I mean, No One, should be testing any beta FSD in that area or in downtown SF (where I also was at). Fools going to get into an accident or hurt someone testing FSD.
FSD is nowhere remotely close to being ready to use in a downtown area like this.
That must be one fuzzy memory maker you got there o_O since that is the completely opposite coast in suburban JAX, FL.:eek:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 6.50.19 AM.png

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I have a MS 90D, initially purchased with FSD in Dec 2016. It was upgraded for free to the new FSD cpu in 2020 and I paid to upgrade to MCU2. Since I do not have the interior camera, will I be able to get the new FSDbeta (v8.x or v9.0) when the testing is expanded? Will Tesla have to add the camera or other changes?

I have a MS 90D, initially purchased with FSD in Dec 2016. It was upgraded for free to the new FSD cpu in 2020 and I paid to upgrade to MCU2. Since I do not have the interior camera, will I be able to get the new FSDbeta (v8.x or v9.0) when the testing is expanded? Will Tesla have to add the camera or other changes?
I think nobody knows. Elon tweeted that the cabin camera was infact used to revoke FSB beta access to some inattentive testers. But then I've read that one of the youtube testers (dirty tesla? I think) has electrical tape covering his cabin camera and is obviously not kicked out

Reactions: Microterf
Lol, no you don't man. You constantly spew nonfactual information. You misinterpret things constantly.

Everything I have said for the past 5 years have been absolutely correct. While you regurgitate everything Elon has says.
Again still waiting on 150k mile safety disengagement.

Also, you keep using one video in one area (like downtown Chicago or Oakland) to make your point.

No I'm not. You can find clips from every city where someone has a FSD beta and its failing miserably.
I even posted clips from Detroit.

Obviously no one is expecting fsd beta to be great in every location. It's about averages, not "let's find the worst area for FSD beta and use that to take a dump on it or someone".

The average is a safety disengagement every 5 miles or so. Its well under a mile in these downtown cities.
But you are not claiming that FSD Beta is another ADAS feature. You are claiming that it will be a Level 5 system as good as the average human driver. Therefore it was to work good everywhere.

Also, can't you just wait until 8.3 comes out before you bash me. All the stuff you quoted above is my opinion. I'm entitled to it, and it hasn't been 6-9 months since October 30 yet. Crazy man

And your opinion has been proven to be BS and wrong every single time.
"wait until 8.3" then its "wait until 9.0", then its "wait until 9.5" then its "wait until 10 with dojo".
This goal shift has been going on for 5 years. Is this what you gonna rely on?
Btw the post you replied to said "about 30 days till 6 months".

Let’s face it, Elon has been terribly wrong about the timing of FSD. And it’s annoying he keeps stating these timelines. Under promise and over deliver. Simple concept. I bought it on my 2017 S during the fire sale for 5 k. Wouldn’t pay 10k for current functionality.

But compared to the other options out there, I’d still take Tesla’s option.

Waymo doesn’t work in private cars nor even in my city. So, can’t use that. And even in cities Waymo does work for, can only go on certain paths and certain pickup/drop off points. It avoids complicated lefts by taking multiple rights and can take more then 30% more time for the same pickup and drop off scenario. Tesla’s system seems to handle situations similar to those just fine. But in more complicated areas, Tesla still needs work. And Waymo doesn’t even try. So I don’t get the comparison there that some on here like to make. Seriously. Even the “oh my 150k miles driven by Waymo”, is still a ridiculous comparison. Geofence a Tesla to the same simple routes and they would be on par.

Ford and GM is only good on specific roads and doesn’t seem to hold the lane as well.

So as much as some people on here like to keep crapping on Elon, there is still nothing that comes close...yet. Yes it’s true the timeline keeps changing for FSD. But so too does this ever elusive “Tesla killer” thats coming “any moment now” that many of those same people like to keep saying.

I bet yes to getting it without needing the cameras added. All YouTube videos with FSD beta in a current S/X seem to have the software without a camera. For example, AIdriver.

Revisiting this now that 8.x won't be widely released. Tesla *really* needs to consider pushing some minor enhancements from FSD Beta to the public build to hold us over until FSD Beta is available to everyone. Even if they do release 9.x to beta testers in the next month or so, it's a significant rewrite so I'm sure it'll take months before they feel comfortable rolling it out to everyone.

So in the meantime - how about no-confirmation lights and stop signs? Or auto steer on unmarked streets? I really don't think they know or care how pissed long-time FSD owners are about the utter lack of progress in the public build.

Oh, and put an adult in charge of the FSD rollout and communication plan. Publish clear, transparent updates on progress and plans. Elon has lost whatever credibility he had left on this topic.

Revisiting this now that 8.x won't be widely released. Tesla *really* needs to consider pushing some minor enhancements from FSD Beta to the public build to hold us over until FSD Beta is available to everyone. Even if they do release 9.x to beta testers in the next month or so, it's a significant rewrite so I'm sure it'll take months before they feel comfortable rolling it out to everyone.

So in the meantime - how about no-confirmation lights and stop signs? Or auto steer on unmarked streets? I really don't think they know or care how pissed long-time FSD owners are about the utter lack of progress in the public build.

Oh, and put an adult in charge of the FSD rollout and communication plan. Publish clear, transparent updates on progress and plans. Elon has lost whatever credibility he had left on this topic.
Elon has huge power - you can think of him as a god.

When god makes it rain, the farmer is delighted. The couple having a picnic in the next field - not so much.

He is not trying mess folk around, merely make the best decision at the time. Dave Lee calls his YouTube videos a stream of consciousness - he can change his mind at any time. Such authenticity should be warmly received in today's society.