Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. Paying someone minimum wage even with training and they are less likely to pay attention. When you are doing something "fun" on your own time, you are way more likely to not tune out and pay attention. I think it was smart of Tesla to do it this way.
Could be, however when you pay someone to do it you can fire them if they're doing a bad job. Another issue is that FSD beta testers seems to think it's fun to let the system drive erratically and/or disobey the law. I suspect paid testers are encouraged not to do that. Really I think it's too early to say, right now the system makes so many errors that only an insane person wouldn't pay attention.
BTW, it looks like a Cruise safety driver makes $25 an hour which admittedly is not that much in San Francisco.

Let me add, I do sometimes like AI Addict even though he often makes lots of excuses. Overall he is good. I refuse to watch Dirty though anymore. He is not as bad as Hyperchange but he is a cheerleader.

Hyperchange is the worst because he's really peddling his own wares essentially.

He simply can't be non-biased.

Clearly there are lot of hand picked FSD testers that are not objective, and only handful of almost accidental aces like Chuck.

Chuck is a combination of a normal owner, balls of steel (who even signs up for taking 10+ uncontrolled lefts in a row), and someone with a lot of patience.

It's amusing to me how much discussion is around improvements vs. the most recent build. Of course there is going to noise and some videos are going to look worse and others better. The delta in improvement won't be big enough to make a clear difference in all testers.

What we should be doing is ask, how is this version vs. 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months ago?

It seems like there are clear significant improvements over the longer time frames, right?

Where do you think FSB beta will be in another 6 months, another year?

It's amusing to me how much discussion is around improvements vs. the most recent build. Of course there is going to noise and some videos are going to look worse and others better. The delta in improvement won't be big enough to make a clear difference in all testers.

What we should be doing is ask, how is this version vs. 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months ago?

It seems like there are clear significant improvements over the longer time frames, right?

I would guess that V10 is about 10x better than the first release. I predict (with huge uncertainty) in a year it will be 20x better than it is now.
It's a very difficult thing to quantify. I did a poll of V9.1 performance and the range of answers was 6 orders of magnitude apart!

Reactions: 82bert
I predict (with huge uncertainty) in a year it will be 20x better than it is now

If Tesla *only* improved lane semantics and choice, V10 would be "10x" better than it is now. Add in improved pathing for complex and diagonal intersections, then you're looking at much much reduced disengagements.

What we're seeing with V10 is a great foundation to polish everything up. Obviously easier said than done, but Tesla is the only one with the data and data engine to get it done.

The logic here is: if Tesla was able to use their data to create such beautiful and accurate birds-eye-view visualizations, what's stopping them from extracting even more information from the cameras (perhaps other than hw3 limitations)? Tesla is closing in on LIDAR performance without any of the LIDAR drawbacks. During AI Day, Tesla already showed us the rich types of data that they can extract from cameras given the compute. They were basically proving that camera-only is viable.

Last edited:
Hyperchange is the worst because he's really peddling his own wares essentially.

He simply can't be non-biased.

Clearly there are lot of hand picked FSD testers that are not objective, and only handful of almost accidental aces like Chuck.

Chuck is a combination of a normal owner, balls of steel (who even signs up for taking 10+ uncontrolled lefts in a row), and someone with a lot of patience.
Chuck gets wayyy too much credit. Him repeatedly testing the exact same insane left turn seems unnecessary and dangerous. Once, maybe twice is sufficient. We get it, the current iteration cannot reliably complete the insanely difficult left turn. I can’t imagine they need him to test it 25 times in a row.

Move along and drive as if you’re going about a more typical routine with a huge variety of different lefts, rights, rights in red, yellows, etc. Far more likely to catch various edge cases and video useful for the NN and mothership.

Ofcourse its gonna improve. The real question is what is the rate of improvement versus other AV systems. But based on what we are seeing their rate of improvement is akin Nissan and not Google. They have a very average but subpar rate of improvement.

Tesla fans always claim this exponential magic rate that is 100% fabricated and doesn't exist. What tesla fans should be praying that their rate of improvement is atleast as good as Waymo.

Waymo
2009 - 25 mile (based on their 10 100 mile uninterrupted challenge)
2012 - 500 (guesstimate)
2015- 1,244.37 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2016 - 5,127.97 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2017 - 5,595.95 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2018 -11,154.3 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2019 - 13,219.4 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2020 - 29,944.69 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2021 - 35,000 (projected based on history)
2022 - 90,000 (projected based on history)

Last edited:
Reactions: planetary
can't believe he just blew by this minivan with it's door open without his feet hovering over the pedals or his hands on the wheel...

Interesting situation, grey area for me, in terms of what V10 did and how confidently it did it. But yes, I agree that Whole Mars should have been more ready to take over, although having hands on the wheel or not doesn't equate to being more ready IMO. I find that I'm more ready to take over AP when my hands are close to the wheel but not on them. This seems counterintuitive until you've used AP for a while. Having my hands on the wheel turns my reactive brain off. Plus, there's not much he could have done there in terms of turning or stopping for oncoming traffic.

In WA where the video was shot, changing lanes across the solid white is apparently legal

Note however the cop they initially asked thought it wasn't legal but said they need to check with Seattle DOT to be sure. DOT confirmed it WAS legal.
Yes, I pointed this out a long time ago in the first video that the car tried to go between the pillars. That apparently is a legal move.

Interesting, in that posted signs specifically warn against crossing a DOUBLE WHITE LINE from mainline to HOV or vice versa. The DMV information is a bit muddy, but does suggest waiting to cross at a broken single white line.

There is nothing in CVC prohibiting lane changing across a SINGLE WHITE LINE. Some law enforcement officers may be confused, but if cited for this violation, it's a guaranteed win in traffic court (assuming the lane change was done SAFELY).
Yep, nothing it the CVC prohibits crossing a single white line. There is mention in a handbook that is it discouraged, but nothing says specifically that it is illegal. In most situations it is illegal due to other signs that take precedent, but not the specific act of crossing the line.
Can you cross a solid white line on a California road?

There is a carpool lane in a bridge that I cross all the time. The entire lane is separated by a single white solid line and there are no dashed breaks anywhere along the whole way (not even at the start where it begins at a concrete barrier). If it was illegal to cross a single white solid line then that carpool lane would have effectively been off limits to everyone, given you must cross it at some point to enter.

Reactions: rxlawdude
The guy who I asked it to isn’t answering because he knows he is wrong.
I should point out even if people made lots of money from Youtube videos, a key point is it's not predicated on saying positive things (about Tesla or otherwise). So people can say completely negative things about Tesla (there are some channels dedicated to this) and still make money if they go past the monetization line. I think there's enough FSD Beta videos out there that we know Tesla isn't really filtering things, as we get a look at all aspects (even when it is performing quite poorly). It's a view we don't really get from other ADAS development.

How much do you think you tube pays per view?

They really aren’t making much. Most don’t have any kind of sponsorship or Patreon, and YouTube pays pennies for each view if there are ads on the vid, and they don’t really get a ton of views. Even the ones with a Patreon page aren’t making much. I’d say they’re likely actually losing money considering some of the cameras and drone tech that some of them are using in their vids.

I fully admit my info was outdated, I didn't realize how severely youtube has cut payouts since my content creation days.

I still don't like Tesla playing favorites but I'm less offended by it now.