Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that FSD Beta is going very nicely and in addition has demonstrated incredible improvements since the first release, this is easily the best self-driving out there as of today. So with that, I am now seeing a ton of positive media articles on how promising Tesla FSD is.

.. oh wait.. no actually they are all waiting for the first accident to happen to write their "Tesla is a horror show' articles. In fact the most dishonest ones - Russ Mitchell, Lora Kolodny, Neal Boudette, Lopez and host of others - have already written their hit piece. Just waiting for the first accident. Scumbags.

Two Steps Foward...One Step Backward - 23:33 - Tesla Raj
** Note that this is the previous beta version 2020.44.15.3 **
I almost didn't watch this because it's on the previous beta version...but...I found it very worthwhile. Tesla Raj does a great job of narration and explains everything clearly. He also edits very well so the time you spend watching is all action packed. This drive points out a lot of both good and bad things with the beta and will serve as a good reference to compare future versions against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
Two Steps Foward...One Step Backward - 23:33 - Tesla Raj
** Note that this is the previous beta version 2020.44.15.3 **

lots of impressive stuff, some iffy stuff, and a couple of dangerous situations.

12:20 - car tries to go straight from the right turn lane twice. Second one would be especially dangerous since there was a car in the perpendicular street who wanted to either turn or go straight and might have decided to pull out, understandably assuming the car in the right turn only lane was planning on turning right instead of making a juke back into the left straight lane without signaling.

12:50 - handles one of those sloped roundabouts it has tried to drive straight over before in previous versions well. The new functionality Elon was talking about for v5 had to be about roundabouts since Brandon saw a nice improvement there too. They do need to work on the yield stuff. Coming to a stop is okay for now with a driver overseer who can goose the accelerator if it’s clear and there are people behind, but in the future when it’s true FSD it shouldn’t be coming to a complete stop at yields when it’s completely clear.

edit -

16:15 - wtf is Raj doing? He let the car slowly drift waaay too far for comfort into an unprotected left turn with an oncoming truck. He said he was uncomfortable and yet he let the car do it’s thing anyway. Either hit the go pedal and gun it or hit the brake and stop the damn car.

16:45 - car was going to run straight into a median. Kind of a similar situation to that driver a few years back who died in his X when it hit one of those freeway spear points that was never re-extended after a previous driver hit it.

19:15 - car said it was creeping forward to observe cross traffic, but it looked like it was going to creep forward right into said cross traffic. Raj took over, and given his propensity to let the car just go, it was probably pretty close.

Last edited:
Brandon, Raj, and others have said that the cars should bias towards the left line when it’s a wide lane, but I assume there’s a reason why Tesla hasn’t done so. It’s either harder than just justifying to the left, or there are edge cases where it might be very dangerous. Otherwise I don’t know why Tesla wouldn’t have already done so, since that’s been a complaint for a long time even on regular AP.

12:20 - car tries to go straight from the right turn lane twice. Second one would be especially dangerous since there was a car in the perpendicular street who wanted to either turn or go straight and might have decided to pull out, understandably assuming the car in the right turn only lane was planning on turning right instead of making a juke back into the left straight lane without signaling.
This is the type of situation where I think the first crash is going to occur. Tesla needs to tell people testing the system not to let it do this. This is a perfect example of why I think they should allow test drivers to correct the lane selection without disabling the system.

lots of impressive stuff, some iffy stuff, and a couple of dangerous situations.

12:50 - handles one of those sloped roundabouts it has tried to drive straight over before in previous versions well. The new functionality Elon was talking about for v5 had to be about roundabouts since Brandon saw a nice improvement there too. They do need to work on the yield stuff. Coming to a stop is okay for now with a driver overseer who can goose the accelerator if it’s clear and there are people behind, but in the future when it’s true FSD it shouldn’t be coming to a complete stop at yields when it’s completely clear.

edit -

16:15 - wtf is Raj doing? He let the car slowly drift waaay too far for comfort into an unprotected left turn with an oncoming truck. He said he was uncomfortable and yet he let the car do it’s thing anyway. Either hit the go pedal and gun it or hit the brake and stop the damn car.

16:45 - car was going to run straight into a median. Kind of a similar situation to that driver a few years back who died in his X when it hit one of those freeway spear points that was never re-extended after a previous driver hit it.

19:15 - car said it was creeping forward to observe cross traffic, but it looked like it was going to creep forward right into said cross traffic. Raj took over, and given his propensity to let the car just go, it was probably pretty close.
Thank you for providing the key highlights of that drive. It really helps us go look for those spots in the video quickly. Your pre-work and taking the time come here and write is much appreciated

Last edited:
Brandon intervened on a couple of yellows in his vid, but those were on the edge. I’ve certainly seen other drivers take late yellows with the light turning red while they were in the middle of the intersection, and I’ve done it a time or two myself. Not ideal behavior, especially on roads where there are unprotected lefts and cars waiting to turn left might be banking on cars stopping at late yellows instead of gunning through, but not completely untoward. He’s probably right that Tesla should err a bit more on the cautious side on yellows, but I don’t think the car would have been running reds if he had just let the car go.

This is the type of situation where I think the first crash is going to occur.

Wow, yeah, at 12:23 that was extremely dangerous. Only due to a good defensive driver proceeding with caution that an accident did not occur. Some aggressive drivers would have proceeded into the intersection in that situation, since the oncoming Tesla vehicle was obviously turning right (except it wasn't). Raj (or the car?) even briefly signaled right at the last second. Raj: "That was good." :rolleyes:

People can't be doing this with the beta. It will result in an accident. It's truly just a matter of time. And this sort of accident would clearly be in the category of "caused by FSD" - not one that "would have happened anyway." They need properly trained safety drivers or some way of dealing with this error that doesn't give an incentive for the driver to "let it work out what to do." Maybe a deafening klaxon alarm whenever the vehicle isn't sure what it is doing, as long as this is early release beta? (Not clear whether that would solve this - the car might well think it is doing the right thing).

That sounds like a lot of Waymo videos :p

Uneventful
For those of you who have watched a lot of these videos, how much are of the issues are perception related vs planning (or other)?

I’ve watched a fair share starting with the very first night of videos. From what I can tell perception hasn’t changed much. Most of the negative feedback and subsequent fixes have been elsewhere making the car drive more like a human.

• Informative
Reactions: FloridaJohn
For those of you who have watched a lot of these videos, how much are of the issues are perception related vs planning (or other)?
It's hard to tell. There are a lot of errors like turning from the wrong lane, driving on the wrong side of the road, etc. that are probably perception but there is no way to tell because they don't display everything on the screen. On the other hand I've seen a lot of errors like turning in to parked cars, driving through the center of roundabouts, swerving in the middle of intersections where the perception looks fine. I would say mostly planning errors though.

Question for FSD beta testers:

It appears from the interface (showing both a steering wheel and speed limit icon) that you still have to engage TACC and auto steer separately (by pulling down on the right stalk twice).

I know how AP behaves today if you only engage one or the other. For example, if you only engage TACC it will manage the vehicle's speed but will not steer. If you do the opposite it will steer but you have to manage speed.

How does it work with FSD? If you engage TACC only does it simply maintain speed? If you engage auto steer only does it only lane keep, or will it still make turns at intersections?

It seems to me they should do away with this distinction and just have an on/off for FSD.