Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check Out this FSD Beta FSD Beta Wild Ride in the City of Sunrise Rush Hour - 12:30 - TesLatino
** See the serious intervention on a left turn starting at 3:00. I watched this portion at 1/4 speed and you can see a phantom object appear on the display just as he rounds the corner. It looks like a phantom traffic signal. I know the 'glass half full' group will have a good time with this, but hey, it's reality. I'm confident that the AP team engineers will be all over this. TesLatino makes it very clear that he will let them know. **
Something definitely appears briefly on the display along the median, likely what it identifies as a person. I believe the vehicle was trying to correct to avoid what it thought was a person about to walk in front of them.

Why it saw this when nothing was there is the real question. Would love to know what Tesla finds on some of these.

Something definitely appears briefly on the display along the median, likely what it identifies as a person. I believe the vehicle was trying to correct to avoid what it thought was a person about to walk in front of them.

Maybe, but I've seen problems with intersections that are very similar to this even in non-FSD-beta versions of the software, even on HW2.5, where there's no attempt to avoid pedestrians. I suspect that the car just chose the wrong destination lane on the other side of the intersection, and believed that it should aim for the lane that's one lane farther to the right than the lane it actually should have aimed for.

Maybe, but I've seen problems with intersections that are very similar to this even in non-FSD-beta versions of the software, even on HW2.5, where there's no attempt to avoid pedestrians. I suspect that the car just chose the wrong destination lane on the other side of the intersection, and believed that it should aim for the lane that's one lane farther to the right than the lane it actually should have aimed for.
It most certainly does occur at the 3:12 point. I freeze framed and circled the spot on the median. It wasn’t there before then and causes the car to try and avoid. You can see the other “real” pedestrian on the right in blue waiting to cross.

554E412A-DC51-4AB1-9367-097CA8C34E5B.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Self Driving Gets BETTER with Tesla Software Update 2020.44.15.4 FSDBeta 6! - 15:39 - Dirty Tesla
After watching this video as well as TesLatino's earlier today it appears that Elon's prediction of two steps forward, one step back is a reality. For FSD versions 1 to 5 it seemed there was exponential progress. On v5 James Locke's 'Curving roads along Laurel & Cold Water Canyon' drive was very impressive. On the other hand TesLatino had a terrible left turn (at 3:00) on v6 and Dirty Tesla ran a red light on a left turn in his video above (at 10:00). We will see these resolved but for right now these issues are a problem.

Self Driving Gets BETTER with Tesla Software Update 2020.44.15.4 FSDBeta 6! - 15:39 - Dirty Tesla
I enjoy his vids, but Dirty Tesla really needs to be more attentive. His car absolutely blew through a very late yellow that turned red right as his car was passing the crosswalk at 10:00 at an odd intersection where he had to travel a considerable distance to complete a left turn, and he wasn’t even sure if he blew a red? That needs to be handled better in the future.

edit - 11:13 car takes an unprotected left turn into a street whose mouth is narrow due to a suv in the turn lane. Driver took over because it was getting too close to the suv for his comfort.

I enjoy his vids, but Dirty Tesla really needs to be more attentive. His car absolutely blew through a very late yellow that turned red right as his car was passing the crosswalk at 10:00 at an odd intersection where he had to travel a considerable distance to complete a left turn, and he wasn’t even sure if he blew a red? That needs to be handled better in the future.
You only have to have entered the intersection before the light turns red which he had. It's up to the other direction to make sure the intersections is clear before they proceed.

You only have to have entered the intersection before the light turns red which he had. It's up to the other direction to make sure the intersections is clear before they proceed.
But has he entered the intersection? Super close. It depends how you define intersection. It looks like he is across the stop line. The issue is the car slowed down way too early before turn. He should have pressed the accelerator. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla looks at accelerator override data so it seems like that would help them work on intersections like this. The problem is many of these YouTubers seem to think the goal is for them to minimize disengagements.
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.20.18 AM.png

Reactions: HighZ
But has he entered the intersection?
Yes. As you say he has crossed the stop line so he is in the intersection.

The recommended yellow light time for 30 mph traffic is 3.5 seconds. It took him 3 seconds to enter the intersection. It may be that since fsd knows how far away the light is and when it turned yellow, it is calculating if it has enough time to make it into the intersection before the light turns red.

Last edited:
Yes. As you say he has crossed the stop line so he is in the intersection.

The recommended yellow light time for 30 mph traffic is 3.5 seconds. It took him 3 seconds to enter the intersection. I may be that since fsd knows how far away the light is and when it turned yellow, it is calculating if it has enough time to make it into the intersection before the light turns red.
That's not how the state of California defines intersection though. I wonder if Tesla will have different programming for different states.
An “intersection” is the area embraced within the prolongation of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways, of two highways which join one another at approximately right angles or the area within which vehicles traveling upon different highways joining at any other angle may come in conflict.
Law section

Unless there is a crosswalk like at that intersection. He's not past the prolongation of the lateral curb lines.

Here in Florida it's the crossing of the stop line that determines whether you've run the traffic light or not. And they call that entering the intersection. You should check CA law for running red lights to see if they use the technical intersection or the stop line.

Just found this thread and am willing to answer questions where I can. I am one of the FSD Beta Testers on the Model Y.

My videos are located here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdbsDtaMAh6QXvcbp08YzQ
I also post on Twitter https://twitter.com/chazman

Chuck
Thanks for being here Chuck. I've posted most of your FSD beta videos here and they have been very informative. There is a lot of appreciation for the effort you put into them, and of course they lead to some excellent back and forth discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one
His car absolutely blew through a very late yellow that turned red right as his car was passing the crosswalk at 10:00 at an odd intersection where he had to travel a considerable distance to complete a left turn
Seems like it could just be naive yellow light logic. If the current calculation is "continue if Autopilot will pass the light at the current speed," it's not too surprising of this "bad" example where the lights were about halfway through the intersection (instead of usually at the end of the intersection) and FSD beta separately decided to slow for the diagonal turn (instead of maintaining speed to go straight).

Unclear if this logic will get pushed into the neural network as there can be plenty of edge cases. Or it might be a glimpse of how future hardware will behave differently from current HW3. Potentially the current hardware will eventually settle on some "simple but safe" behavior (that still could be level 5) while future hardware can do more computation to be more "assertive and human-like."

Here in Florida it's the crossing of the stop line that determines whether you've run the traffic light or not. And they call that entering the intersection. You should check CA law for running red lights to see if they use the technical intersection or the stop line.
The technicalities don’t matter. The car shouldn’t be cutting lights that closely. If the yellow is that late, the car should not be running the light, especially if the car is going to be slow and wishy washy about it after entering the intersection.