Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chuck,

My question is how do the improvements FEEL?

. We've all been in cars with good drivers and bad drivers (think kids with their permit) and have a level of comfort based on what we can expect from their driving behavior, so as someone using this daily, how much has that comfort increased since the initial release, and how if the current rate of improvement keeps going, how kong do you think it would take before you trusted it to take your kids to school?

Chuck,
My question is how do the improvements FEEL?

TLDR: Just as Elon stated, two steps forward, one step back is the pattern so far.

It feels like I am teaching my 16 year old son how to to drive. Some/most things get better but then some things get worse. So just as you can never really see where your teenager's foot is .. on the gas or on the brake .. I feel that I don't yet have confidence I know when the car will do something unexpected. Make no mistake .. the drives are getting better overall, but with the added complexity of new unexpected behaviors. For example this week's update I only had one drive with before having to leave town .. it started a new behavior where it would get in the wrong lane and oppose oncoming traffic. This is documented in my last video that was in the rain.

Haha.. I wish it could be my full time job and it paid the bills.
Thanks Chuck for all the videos! Very much appreciated.

It's hard to get a feel for this in all the videos I've watched but I have two questions:

1 - When the car makes turns... I've seen a few that are slow but most seem to be near human speed. Is that your observation or do they all go a little slower than you would make them yourself?

2 - I use AP nearly every time I get in the car. While in the city the car often gets confused by breaks in the lane lines - particularly when there's a bend in the road. When it gets confused it will JERK the car to change lanes when it shouldn't be changing lanes. Did you see this behavior prior to FSD Beta and has the FSD Beta solved this issue?

Thanks Chuck for all the videos! Very much appreciated.

It's hard to get a feel for this in all the videos I've watched but I have two questions:

1 - When the car makes turns... I've seen a few that are slow but most seem to be near human speed. Is that your observation or do they all go a little slower than you would make them yourself?

2 - I use AP nearly every time I get in the car. While in the city the car often gets confused by breaks in the lane lines - particularly when there's a bend in the road. When it gets confused it will JERK the car to change lanes when it shouldn't be changing lanes. Did you see this behavior prior to FSD Beta and has the FSD Beta solved this issue?

1. Right turns are better than left turns. Sometimes its smooth as butter .. sometimes it has a bit of wheel jitter/shake that makes me feel like it is thinking about something.. But if I were to asses where turns are .. I think they are 75% there. It helps to have a lead car for sure. Seems to take that into consideration. It still scares me on left turns at a light were there are two lanes turning, and I am on the inside lane with another car on the outside as the Tesla seems to go wide sometimes.. and when it realizes there is another car there .. its reaction is to slow down.. which can be unsafe in the middle of an intersection where every car is trying to "make the light"

2. Yes I saw this behavior you describe to FSD Beta, and I can say it is much better. But it still has a center of available lane bias. Which means on merging lanes it seems to want to use "both lanes" when the white line disappears. One of my videos shows this pretty well on a side street with parked cars on the side of the road. The Tesla wants to use empty parking spaces as available lane still.

Hope that answered your question.

Also, have you had any phantom breaking with FSD beta?

Unfortunately .. yes Phantom braking is still there .. but it isn't in the same spots I used to get it. I don't get it approaching green lights like I used to after confirming with the stalk, but I do get it occasionally in traffic .. and that scares me honestly. I caught a good one in one of my vids .. that I didn't post this week because I threw an F-Bomb .. was an aggressive phantom brake with a car tailgating me.

Chuck

In all likelihood we are about to enter a slower release phase since the teams have started taking time off for the holidays and end of year.
Yes. As you say he has crossed the stop line so he is in the intersection.

The recommended yellow light time for 30 mph traffic is 3.5 seconds. It took him 3 seconds to enter the intersection. It may be that since fsd knows how far away the light is and when it turned yellow, it is calculating if it has enough time to make it into the intersection before the light turns red.
Part of the problem here is the size of the intersection and the extra time it took to take the left hand turn. I've seen other yellow lights where the turn was immediate and the FSD behavior was ok. I suspect Tesla will need to include a modifier that takes into consideration the size of the intersection. In this case there wasn't enough time to continue so the car should have stopped. Just another edge case to address.

Part of the problem here is the size of the intersection and the extra time it took to take the left hand turn. I've seen other yellow lights where the turn was immediate and the FSD behavior was ok. I suspect Tesla will need to include a modifier that takes into consideration the size of the intersection. In this case there wasn't enough time to continue so the car should have stopped. Just another edge case to address.

I doesn't look like fsd has taken drivers ed and learned defensive driving, but once you are in the intersection you have the right of way and other cars must avoid you. Mad Max traffic lights.

Here in Florida it's the crossing of the stop line that determines whether you've run the traffic light or not. And they call that entering the intersection. You should check CA law for running red lights to see if they use the technical intersection or the stop line.
You are correct. The limit line, if it exists, is the delineator, not the intersection.
A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection

1. Right turns are better than left turns. Sometimes its smooth as butter .. sometimes it has a bit of wheel jitter/shake that makes me feel like it is thinking about something.. But if I were to asses where turns are .. I think they are 75% there. It helps to have a lead car for sure. Seems to take that into consideration. It still scares me on left turns at a light were there are two lanes turning, and I am on the inside lane with another car on the outside as the Tesla seems to go wide sometimes.. and when it realizes there is another car there .. its reaction is to slow down.. which can be unsafe in the middle of an intersection where every car is trying to "make the light"

2. Yes I saw this behavior you describe to FSD Beta, and I can say it is much better. But it still has a center of available lane bias. Which means on merging lanes it seems to want to use "both lanes" when the white line disappears. One of my videos shows this pretty well on a side street with parked cars on the side of the road. The Tesla wants to use empty parking spaces as available lane still.

Hope that answered your question.
Thanks! Very helpful!