Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did report the 2016 demo video and the 2019 demo video (as L3 for unknown reasons). Their policy appears to be to report only when there is video evidence.

Yes. Since there was video evidence and the demos were hands-free, I think they figured they had to report it. There is lots of video evidence of FSD beta but it is not hands-free so they don't report it. I think the hands-free part is what made them report it. But otherwise, they did go several years in a row reporting 0 autonomous miles.

EDIT: I think Tesla referred to the 2019 demo as L3 because they disabled the steering wheel nags for the demo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewg
+1 .. there have posts here ver the years making all sorts of claims (with dubious "proofs") that the car would not be able to see red lights, would not be able to see far enough down the road, would not be able to see lanes at night etc. Meanwhile, the car is doing all of this and more. Basically, the sensor stack is doing a pretty good job, but the planner still needs work.

As another poster noted, most FSD disengagements these days (including mine) are more related to embarrassment than fear. The car is being so cautious that you dont want the driver behind you honking in impatience. Or the car is changing lanes (safely) for no apparent reason. The planner clearly has a very short "horizon", and needs to look ahead much further (in time, not distance). This is not a sensor issue, the data is there from the nav system, it just isnt incorporating it the way a human would.
Every single disengagement I have had is also not because of an inadequate sensor suite. It’s the decisions it made or (like stated above), mostly embarrassment so people are not waiting on me.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Do you think there is not single route or locale in the entire USA that Tesla can polish or focus on to deliver a level 4 service?
Perhaps it would be San Mateo where a lot of the autopilot data labelers worked previously. There is a noticeable improvement in performance and reduced number of disengagements as compared to any other locale that I have used FSD in. I am referring specifically to that smaller area and not other parts of the SF bay area.

One possibility is that once they release and mature v11/single stack, Tesla "releases" L3 for highway driving (or perhaps for some geofenced highways). I agree that path planning and dealing with other complex scenarios can still be a struggle for FSD Beta. However the perception models in FSD Beta are so much more advanced than current AP, and highway driving is much simpler in comparison to city streets.

That said, I'm not sure what "releasing" L3 would mean - removing nags and driver monitoring? Getting regulatory approval? Accepting liability?

That said, I'm not sure what "releasing" L3 would mean - removing nags and driver monitoring? Getting regulatory approval? Accepting liability?

L3 would mean removing nags so that the driving can be hands-free but the human driver would be asked to take over when prompted. L3 would not remove driver monitoring. Driver monitoring would just shift to the internal camera. L3 would also mean that Tesla accepts liability when L3 is on, just like BMW and Mercedes accept liability for their L3.

There is zero way they are going to retrofit whole new camera locations, radar, LIDAR, or whatever else they need. This is like an AP1 to AP2 retrofit, which they never supported. It could be 20's of labor hours and thousands in hardware.

Depends on the location.

They could very easily replace the current three-camera cluster with a different cluster that has two or three overlapping higher-resolution cameras, thus giving them stereo vision at a wider range of angles.

They could very easily replace the existing RADAR hardware with new/improved RADAR hardware. Not sure about cars that don't have RADAR, or how hard it would be to add the wiring harness after the fact if it doesn't exist, but it might not be too hard to do so underneath the frunk.

"Try their best" isn't enough- they specifically said the cars have the HW needed. If they EVER ship FSD, and it requires ANY kind of paid hardware upgrade on a car, they have a huge liability. Even 10 years from now. So their most logical thing to do is just struggle with what they have for a very long time.

Or find a way to add the missing hardware as cheaply as possible, such as reusing existing wiring harnesses with new types of data flowing over them.

Reactions: scottf200
Yes they did, but nothing came of it (other than a prototype):

They also tried battery swapping in the past.
They stopped development on the automatic charger after Adrej(sp?) Karpathy accidentally bent over in front of it.

Made him so mad he quit. On the plus side, he hasn't had to charge his cell phone ever since.

Yes they did, but nothing came of it (other than a prototype):
It could well be that the cost per unit for something that complex (times a dozen stalls), plus liability for damage caused by software bugs, additional insurance costs, etc. exceeds the cost of a single minimum-wage human employee per charging station over the expected life of the hardware....

So, the crafty implementer of an L4+ consumer vehicle, knowing that a drivers license issued in any state is valid in all states will find the state with the laxest licensing rules. They'll provide a turnkey mechanism for consumers to create an LLC in that state. The LLC purchases the vehicle, so becomes the registered owner. Since the vehicle is owned by the LLC, the person(s) who own the LLC will be able to use their L4+ vehicle anywhere in the US without having to conform to any licensing rules in their home state.

People use this dodge to own expensive RVs or aircraft without paying high taxes in their home state. The register an LLC in Montana. That LLC purchases the vehicle and it gets registered in Montana even though the vehicle may never go to that state.

Companies like Waymo or Cruise could not do this because they are doing business in the state where the AV operates. But an individual who uses the vehicle for personal travel could probably get away with this as their LLC does not have a presence outside of it's state of registration.

Nobody has tried this but it sounds like it could work.

....but a Drivers Licenses is for the person and NOT related to the vehicle. So in another state regardless of the vehicle they are driving the driver is required to obey that state's driving laws. Wouldn't this negate this and no loophole.

Well the L4 vehicle still has to obey state's driving laws. The person or the LCC that owns the vehicle could be held responsible for the driving of the vehicle. But this is all uncharted territory.

One reason why I think the US needs Federal AV safety and deployment regulations so that this could be straightened out. It would help with deployment as companies would know if their AVs are "good enough" for deployment. It would also help with any liability issues when AVs get into an accident.

Well the L4 vehicle still has to obey state's driving laws. The person or the LCC that owns the vehicle could be held responsible for the driving of the vehicle. But this is all uncharted territory.

One reason why I think the US needs Federal AV safety and deployment regulations so that this could be straightened out. It would help with deployment as companies would know if their AVs are "good enough" for deployment. It would also help with any liability issues when AVs get into an accident.
It would still have to obey the law that only L4 vehicles approved in the state can operate in the state.

The change was in April 2019. Everything before that was clearly L4, take you to your destination as you sleep, car will come get you with nobody in it across the country.

Also I seem to remember Elon stating at the Model 3 unveiling or something around that time??? That (bad paraphrase) Tesla wanted to drive out the factory and deliver the new car to your door.
This guy did a great video overall but he found several videos about "Elon Time" - see that section
10:20 minutes in (620 secs) -
Title: Is Elon Musk Killing People? -- Mahmood Hikmet - Aug 9, 2021

This guy did a great video overall but he found several videos about "Elon Time" - see that section
10:20 minutes in (620 secs) -
Title: Is Elon Musk Killing People? -- Mahmood Hikmet - Aug 9, 2021
I wish Elon didn’t keep making these predictions on when FSD will arrive.

That being said, once it is here, almost no one will care that it was “late”.