Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 10k, is it worthwhile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the OP is in a position to purchase it for $10k, that's the question. The price will go to $12k if purchased after delivery.

My opinion is: no, don't buy it. It's like making a $10k investment in Tesla, but with no obvious potential for returns. Better off buying TSLA.
A good possibility but does it answer the question: is it right for OP?
Alternatively, at $200 per month to subscribe to FSD, this is like prepaying for 4 years of it (albeit with a better resale value).
This is a good idea but no upgrades to hardware, I believe.
I think Tesla is still on the wrong path for autonomous driving. The car is great, but you likely won't own it anymore by the time they actually get FSD working.

I'd let a Waymo drive for me, but not a Tesla.
There are people on the spectrum that want an experience where the car fully drives itself. And there are those on the spectrum that are happy with the car's ability to NOA; lane change with turn signal ; limited summon features; etc. So, while he may be able to afford the $10K is it a good deal. By your standards: NO, and probably never will be. A valid view point. By my standards: YES, I am (conditionally) happy with the 6 out of 7 things it is advertised as being able to do. I don't ever plan to be out of the driving loop no matter how good the system may be. I hope also a valid point of view. Along that wide spectrum OP needs to decides whether it's worth it for him based on our experiences and desires.

Reactions: doubleshot
A good possibility but does it answer the question: is it right for OP?

This is a good idea but no upgrades to hardware, I believe.

There are people on the spectrum that want an experience where the car fully drives itself. And there are those on the spectrum that are happy with the car's ability to NOA; lane change with turn signal ; limited summon features; etc. So, while he may be able to afford the $10K is it a good deal. By your standards: NO, and probably never will be. A valid view point. By my standards: YES, I am (conditionally) happy with the 6 out of 7 things it is advertised as being able to do. I don't ever plan to be out of the driving loop no matter how good the system may be. I hope also a valid point of view. Along that wide spectrum OP needs to decides whether it's worth it for him based on our experiences and desires.
Wait until you get the FSD beta after an excellent Safety Score. It makes incorrect lane changes without confirmation and you must override the FSD to regain control. The Confirm Lane Change selection is disabled in this version and in future FSD versions when in FSD, so you must trust it to always make the correct decision, which it does not, or disable FSD. A step backward, to be sure. Just one more decision automatically given to the automated system and taken away from your judgment.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Wait until you get the FSD beta after an excellent Safety Score. It makes incorrect lane changes without confirmation and you must override the FSD to regain control. The Confirm Lane Change selection is disabled in this version and in future FSD versions when in FSD, so you must trust it to always make the correct decision, which it does not, or disable FSD. A step backward, to be sure. Just one more decision automatically given to the automated system and taken away from your judgment.
I actually have a perfect score and wanted to test the beta but with hundreds, if not thousands, of negative experiences I'll leave that to you guys to iron out. Let me know in two weeks when it's ready for the rest of us!;)

Well. I ordered a MSLR back when it was 79k. I'm getting near delivery date and debating whether or not I should buy FSD for 10k ?
NO!!!! Flawed. And Restricted. False alarms every day with braking for bikers on side of road or cars that turned off road and moving so not in front but disappearing to side. I feel stupid for $7k on my 2020 MS. Was dumb for 2015 one too.

I enjoy it for my longer trips. One of the benefits to purchasing the full is if there's an upgrade to the hardware needed in the future it's included. That being said... If you don't do a lot of highway trips it's probably not worth it at this time. If you do it's great to have. Overall I'm not unhappy with my purchase of it when I bought the car.

I do find summon to be nice when I didn't quite park forward enough in a spot and I open the app and have it park a little further up. Hah. That's the only good feature of summon right now. Reverse summon is gonna be awesome if it ever comes out.
The problem is there’s no timeline on when it’ll be available, future is a year from now or 30 years from now. The car might not be around when FSD becomes reality.

According to Elon FSD was right around the corner back in 2017? 2018?
Elon and Tesla have resorted to threatening price increases as a way to keep selling a product that is not yet available but might be some day.

Of course take my opinion with many boulders of salt as I’m extremely on the side of never paying Tesla money today for a product to be delivered some day.

Of course take my opinion with many boulders of salt as I’m extremely on the side of never paying Tesla money today for a product to be delivered some day.
And that includes vehicles, solar roofs, power walls, etc. Delivery time for any Tesla product is completely unpredictable. Put up a deposit if you can get a refund, but don't pay a dime more until the product is delivered.

Reactions: AMPd
My problem is the FSD license is not transferrable, so you will pay for each Tesla you buy. The subscription is much more flexible.
This is an excellent point and coupled with post #19 from @father_of_6, a sound alternative. The only thing I would miss using it this way would be the summon feature but could live without it. For road trips I would definitely subscribe because it does make trips easier(IMHO).

Not sure if it’s currently worth $10k but that’s the price we got it for and do r regret it. THE BEST feature ever in the world ever is auto lane change on the highway - especially driving with the yoke and the push bottom signals.

At the very least you could subscribe monthly to see if you like it. If you get the full thing it does increase the value of your vehicle (and you build equity while the price goes up and up…).

Im searching high and low for the extreme views on the "buy" side, and Im coming up empty as a mfer.

The biggest reason to get it is if you're going to keep the car for 3+ years. That's because if you buy FSD Tesla will upgrade your hardware for free as it's updated.

If you skip FSD then a year or two from now when the new FSD hardware (3.5?) is out, you'll have to pay $$$ to get it. It hasn't been updated since 2019. Presumably that also means that you'll miss out on newer features that the upgraded hardware will enable. That could be something like robotaxi for instance.

The biggest reason to get it is if you're going to keep the car for 3+ years. That's because if you buy FSD Tesla will upgrade your hardware for free as it's updated.

If you skip FSD then a year or two from now when the new FSD hardware (3.5?) is out, you'll have to pay $$$ to get it. It hasn't been updated since 2019. Presumably that also means that you'll miss out on newer features that the upgraded hardware will enable. That could be something like robotaxi for instance.
Why do you think Tesla upgrade hardware for free?

Don't make me laugh.. Really, it's too funny. Elon fooled me once in 2016 with the famous demo, and today on my 2016 AP2 MS, I still can't even use the beta.

The HW3 upgrade was free, but I couldn't even get it until late 2019. You can't even schedule for the camera upgrades, which is supposedly a requirement even if you have a perfect score to get the beta.

My recommendation is that if you plan to keep the car for the next 7yrs, it might not be a bad idea. But if are the type to sell the car before then, just go monthly subscription, when they finally come out with a usable version.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
when they finally come out with a usable version

One of the big issues (IMO) is that there's no clear line of when it will be "usable". It'll *never* be L5 autonomy, and it's already L2.

I'd rather drive 100% myself than have the stress of "taking over at any time". What Tesla has now will likely be perpetually beta.

I'd be happy to have an autonomous vehicle, but no true L5 autonomous vehicles exist yet. What Tesla has today is going to get people killed... at least members of the general public.

Waymo has videos of how people started behaving behind the wheel of their L2 system... sleeping, putting on makeup, looking down at their phones, etc.