Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 3k after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you saying this $3k full self driving offer must include HW3... you're probably right, but it would sure be nice to see Tesla say that.

They have. Repeatedly.

I'm baffled anyone is still confused about this.

We've known since October that FSD buyers get HW3 for free since it's required to enable new FSD features.

Why in the world would that change now just because some EAP features got moved to the FSD column (while other future ones were never EAP)?

Reactions: tracksyde
go into your tesla account

click manage

under shop there should be an option for autopilot upgrade

click buy $3000

one more confirmation screen

an hour later my car says full self driving capability

They have. Repeatedly.

I'm baffled anyone is still confused about this.

We've known since October that FSD buyers get HW3 for free since it's required to enable new FSD features.

Why in the world would that change now just because some EAP features got moved to the FSD column (while other future ones were never EAP)?

We know Elon tweeted in October that people who ordered (i.e., prior to October) FSD will get HW3 for free. Does that mean everyone who orders FSD for all time going forward will get HW3 for free? People have been speculating for months on this forum what Tesla may charge existing owners in the future for FSD and for HW3 if you never ordered FSD before. If it was so clearly established back in October, why have people been wondering what HW3 will cost? I’m not trying to be difficult or obtuse (really), I just think Tesla has been less than definitive.

We know Elon tweeted in October that people who ordered (i.e., prior to October) FSD will get HW3 for free. Does that mean everyone who orders FSD for all time going forward will get HW3 for free?

Yes, since it's impossible to provide FSD without it

W People have been speculating for months on this forum what Tesla may charge existing owners in the future for FSD and for HW3 if you never ordered FSD before. If it was so clearly established back in October, why have people been wondering what HW3 will cost?

Because some people don't bother to look this stuff up even though its been answered 50 times already.

It's a plague common to internet forums.

They literally can not provide you with FSDs promised coming features if your car lacks HW3.

Therefore if they sell you FSD for X dollars it has to include HW3 for that price.

Also it's more people were speculating about 2 other things-

1) That Tesla might offer a paid upgrade to HW3 without getting FSD (which never made much sense and is obviously debunked now that they've moved all the hard stuff into FSD anyway)

and

2) That Tesla might raise the price of FSD (which still would include HW3 for those with HW2.x cars) once they reintroduce it to the menu... and this turned out to be mostly correct though apparently with grandfathering and other weirdness going on right now, but doesn't change the fact HW3 upgrade still comes with it, because it has to

This article provides a good overview of the definitions of level 1-5 autonomous driving:

Updated: Autonomous driving levels 0 to 5: Understanding the differences

If I read the description on the Tesla website for FSD, I would say it corresponds to level 2. I’m not aware that HW3 is required to achieve level 2 automation. I believe that Elon is developing the HW3 hardware to get Tesla to level 4 and 5, which I see as still being far in the future. I see no reason why the existing hardware could not read stop signs and traffic lights. So just because Tesla is selling something they refer to as “full self driving”, I see that as being a very loose term that is more marketing spin than anything else. It will still require active attention on the part of the driver to take over the car in difficult situations.

So I am still not convinced that those paying the $3K for the FSD upgrade are being promised anything more than software. If Tesla wants to assure its customers they are offering HW3 as part of the $3K upgrade I think they would have clarified it in writing by now. Even Musks tweets from earlier today were completely silent on hardware. And in other posts Tesla owners have called Tesla customer support to inquire as to whether HW3 was part of the upgrade and I’m not aware of a single owner who has posted that they received a positive response to their inquiry.

Reactions: dave999z
This article provides a good overview of the definitions of level 1-5 autonomous driving:

Updated: Autonomous driving levels 0 to 5: Understanding the differences

If I read the description on the Tesla website for FSD, I would say it corresponds to level 2. I’m not aware that HW3 is required to achieve level 2 automation.

The only thing that prevents it from being better than l2 is the disclaimer that it'll still require supervision.

Which only exists to avoid not being able to roll out the features until regulations catch up.

Elon has repeatedly and clearly stated (as recently as yesterday) that the same FSD being sold today will NOT require driver attention once they have enough miles of fleet validation to both improve/confirm reliability sufficiently, and convince regulators of the fact they've done so.

I believe that Elon is developing the HW3 hardware to get Tesla to level 4 and 5, which I see as still being far in the future. I see no reason why the existing hardware could not read stop signs and traffic lights.

For one, it's incapable of processing the data from all the cameras at full frame rate- so it's literally missing/skipping significant amounts of data to work at all.

If you've seen how NoA has some issues with relatively simple tasks on divided highways you wouldn't think the same processor would be capable of handling local roads and intersections as the "coming soon" FSD features state the will do.

So I am still not convinced that those paying the $3K for the FSD upgrade are being promised anything more than software.

I'm sorry you don't like facts.

Even Musks tweets from earlier today were completely silent on hardware.

On the call yesterday he explicitly said FSD would require HW3 for new features. For like the 97th time now.

Apparently nobody wants to believe it though....for no reason I can possibly fathom at this point.

Reactions: tracksyde
Out of pure curiosity, I called Tesla sales today and asked them the following three questions:

1) How many speakers are in the SR+ interior?

Answer: I don't know

2) Does the SR+ still receive live traffic data?

Answer: I don't know

3) If I purchase the $3K FSD option for my LR RWD M3, does it include the upgraded HW3 chip when it comes out?

Answer: No, it just includes updated software.

I followed up by telling him that in December 2018 Elon Musk tweeted that anyone who buys FSD will be entitled to an HW3 upgrade, which is required to support FSD. He said he was not familiar with that and nobody had informed sales about this.

So...I'm not saying that just because one guy in sales told me that HW3 is not included in the upgrade that it must be so. But if the front line Tesla salespeople can't answer this question, is it reasonable to understand why some of us Tesla owners are either a bit skeptical, or at the least, confused?

So...I'm not saying that just because one guy in sales told me that HW3 is not included in the upgrade that it must be so. But if the front line Tesla salespeople can't answer this question, is it reasonable to understand why some of us Tesla owners are either a bit skeptical, or at the least, confused?

I totally agree with you. I was about to purchase the FSD for $3000 and then Elon said it would be $2000. Now, I think I'll just wait and see what happens.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Just so everyone can see what Elon was posting this week, he specifically calls out $2000 cost (and a $1000 refund if you bought it at $3000) and that hardware upgrade is included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-044842.png
    Screenshot_20190302-044842.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20190302-045003.png
    Screenshot_20190302-045003.png
    744.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20190302-044920.png
    Screenshot_20190302-044920.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 68