Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD + GPS (in)accuracy = fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you compared this GPS location to one on your phone or a dedicated GPS device? I'm just curious to know if environment has any role in the inaccuracy. I saw this sort of thing intermittently on my old Garmin GPS unit, but I don't recall the circumstances. That is, I don't recall whether it was a hot day or a humid day, or whatever.

I don't mean to excuse Tesla if environment is messing up the GPS unit. They should be making allowances for such things - where practical.
I had an episode once where the compass data was wrong - the car thought it was heading north no matter what direction it went. Not surprisingly FSD sucked until I figured out what was going on. The interesting part was the map showed the car on the east-west road, pointing north. As I drove the map would show the car driving off the road, then every 15 seconds or so it would reset and put it back on the road a bit east of the previous spot, only to move north again. It seems like the system uses the GPS for intermittent location then the compass and speed data to locate the car between the GPS queries.

I can't remember if the problem fixed itself of if I did a system reset to fix it but I'd try doing a system reset regardless.

Also, is it always off or only in specific locations? If it's only in specific locations I'd wonder if there's some sort of interference giving the GPS a bad signal

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
I am using FSD 11.4.3 in a 2022 Model S with Gen 3 hardware. I live in Colorado and see GPS accuracy issues frequently when I drive here in Boulder. For some reason it seems worse when I head either East or West - and typically my car is shown to the south of the road I am driving on. I'll post some pictures. I've seen this now in all FSD Beta releases over the last 18 months. I am wondering if this is a Gen3 hardware problem - and if it still occurs on Gen4 cars? Anyone with a Gen4 car seeing similiar problems?

View attachment 947505

View attachment 947506
Do you experience this all the time, or only when you start out? I get it every time I have not driven my car for about a day, the reason is the GPS unit is starting from warm versus hot. Time to first fix - Wikipedia, after I drive about a mile it normally gets a fix and works fine for the rest of the day. Note, I disable sentry mode at home. I think if you have sentry mode on it keeps the GPS current. So some folks may never see this if they don't leave their car "off" for long periods without sentry mode.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Do you experience this all the time, or only when you start out? I get it every time I have not driven my car for about a day, the reason is the GPS unit is starting from warm versus hot. Time to first fix - Wikipedia, after I drive about a mile it normally gets a fix and works fine for the rest of the day. Note, I disable sentry mode at home. I think if you have sentry mode on it keeps the GPS current. So some folks may never see this if they don't leave their car "off" for long periods without sentry mode.
Nope - its happening all the time for me here in Boulder CO. I had an older Model S (2018) that I traded in on this 2022 Model S last year - where I saw the same thing happening. I had been hoping the GPS would perform better in the newer car - but was still Gen 3 hardware. I have my car booked in to get this checked out - so will be interesting to see if they come up with anything.

I had a bad experience today driving to my gym. I was on a Motorway - 36 heading into Boulder. The GPS jumped from the lane I was in to a parallel local road - and picked up its 20mph speedlimit - while I was a 60mph zone. Not Good. They need to get this sorted out otherwise they will never get FSD finialied.

In the attached pic I was actually driving along the freeway shown in the center of the image.

Attachments

• IMG_5826.JPG
    IMG_5826.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark II
I emailed FSDbeta support on Monday about GPS issues. I am not sure if something was done on the backside (no firmware update on my part) but GPS seemed to correct itself for the most part which in return made FSD Beta 99% better. Like a crazy amount better.

Today though it was back to its old antics and I sent pics as well as the same email. The problem is FSD goes completely crazy changing the speed limit to 25mph on a 45mph road TOTAL brake check to those behind me as sell as blinkers and brakes happening like crazy. The red line was the road I was actually on:
View attachment 863361
How do you email FSD Support?

Nope - its happening all the time for me here in Boulder CO. I had an older Model S (2018) that I traded in on this 2022 Model S last year - where I saw the same thing happening. I had been hoping the GPS would perform better in the newer car - but was still Gen 3 hardware. I have my car booked in to get this checked out - so will be interesting to see if they come up with anything.

I had a bad experience today driving to my gym. I was on a Motorway - 36 heading into Boulder. The GPS jumped from the lane I was in to a parallel local road - and picked up its 20mph speedlimit - while I was a 60mph zone. Not Good. They need to get this sorted out otherwise they will never get FSD finialied.

In the attached pic I was actually driving along the freeway shown in the center of the image.
OK, sounds like you have a HW issue then, as others have mentioned. Hope they sort it out!

Agree, when GPS is not working FSD is a nightmare. They should perhaps revert to basic AP and rely on last know info and street signs when GPS is poor. Elon once tweeted ages ago they would reduce reliance on GPS, still waiting ...

I emailed FSDbeta support on Monday about GPS issues. I am not sure if something was done on the backside (no firmware update on my part) but GPS seemed to correct itself for the most part which in return made FSD Beta 99% better. Like a crazy amount better.

Today though it was back to its old antics and I sent pics as well as the same email. The problem is FSD goes completely crazy changing the speed limit to 25mph on a 45mph road TOTAL brake check to those behind me as sell as blinkers and brakes happening like crazy. The red line was the road I was actually on:
View attachment 863361
If the GPS is off there’s no hope of FSD working.

FSDb seems to exist only in the moment. It doesn't seem to keep track of the fact that it's on a highway and that the only way off the highway is to take an exit ramp, so teleportation is perfectly fine. There seems to be so little state information in there. It is such an odd architecture decision.

Imagine if you were a driver who lived in the moment, relying on that to get from point A to point B, while a navigator nagged you to take this turn or that. You'd drive like FSDb too.