Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same email above for my Model 3, AWD, LR built Sept 2018 and delivered Nov 2018 . I bought EAP during initial configuring. I love EAP . From this email above I get the impression that aside from Summon in parking lot (I use the simple back and forth summon now) , Red light detection, and city streets auto pilot, that FSD will not add much beyond what I have now.

The part of the email that concerned me is the wording "current convenience features " . Does this imply some things I have now under original EAP are going to be turned off later?

As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time.

Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces.

The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16.
I got the same e-mail. So, they acknowledge that I already purchased EAP, and then dangle the FSD carrot with NoA, Autopark, and Summon? I mean, most people that would actually consider plunking down $3k would already know what they're paying for. But really, no mention of HW 3.0, or stop light/sign detection?

I got the same e-mail. So, they acknowledge that I already purchased EAP, and then dangle the FSD carrot with NoA, Autopark, and Summon? I mean, most people that would actually consider plunking down $3k would already know what they're paying for. But really, no mention of HW 3.0, or stop light/sign detection?

I think they will have to give HW 3.0. For FSD it will be a prerequisite. They cannot risk having weaker HWs but still they should have mentioned it.

I think they will have to give HW 3.0. For FSD it will be a prerequisite. They cannot risk having weaker HWs but still they should have mentioned it.
Oh, I agree, it's a prerequisite and those who purchase FSD will get it installed eventually. I just can't understand how nobody vetted out this e-mail before sending it out. We already have EAP, and you're telling us about how much we'll like NoA, Autopark, and Summon that we've already been using? Maybe their VP of Communications was among the rash of folks that left the company?

I received the email as well but agree that it's not clear what $3k gets you. I paid for EAP when I purchased 02/2018 and would love Advanced Summon for all the rainy times I forget my umbrella. Does any one have clarity on the following:

1. Will HW3.0 be a free upgrade or require purchase of FSD?
2. I already have Summon and NOA. Will I receive Advanced Summon or does this requires purchase of FSD?

I think they will have to give HW 3.0. For FSD it will be a prerequisite. They cannot risk having weaker HWs but still they should have mentioned
I certainly would not assume that. I just sent a message to the support center asking if AP 3.0 is included for FREE if I purchase FSD now. For some reason, I doubt they will give a straight answer (but I'll post here if they do). And if it is true, why wouldn't they simply say so?

Fool me once...

Lol. Will you be able to send me software updates that will detect stops and traffic lights? I do not expect FSD as a feature for a long time but incremental updates for driver assistance interests me.

Supposed to get the HW3 later this year. That will start to separate capability of FUD and non-FSD cars.

I certainly would not assume that. I just sent a message to the support center asking if AP 3.0 is included for FREE if I purchase FSD now. For some reason, I doubt they will give a straight answer (but I'll post here if they do). And if it is true, why wouldn't they simply say so?

Fool me once...

Why they'd fool you? HW3 is shipping already. Elon said many times it will be free for people who have purchased FSD.

Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free.

Elon Musk clarifies Tesla's plan to retrofit cars for 'Full Self-Driving' with new HW3 computer - Electrek

Last edited:
Why they'd fool you? Elon said many times it will be free for people who have purchased FSD.
Actually what he said was:

Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3.

Given his track record of constant lies, he probably has a legal defense - he is a habitual and known liar. Anyone who follows him would know that. I simply do not believe him or anything he says.

Plus if true why wouldn't the online support simply back him up?

Not to mention in context he is talking about AP 2.5, nothing about 2.0.

I honestly hope it works for all of yous who took that gamble. Seriously. I just don't want to invest in a "promise" from a known liar.

Now if support does back his story, that's something else entirely. I would believe the written word of support personnel if written. But believe a vague tweet by someone out of touch with reality? Not for me, not today

My account online has shown $6000 purchase for FSD since I took delivery in June. Just received an email about being able to upgrade to FSD for $3K...pretty confusing. Especially when I click on the email link and it takes me to my account overview with the $6K price listed...hmmm

So I have a 2017 MS 75D with the Enhanced Autopilot.

If I purchase the $3,000 FSD, what will I be getting that I don't currently have?

I'm so confused.

Specifically, an upgrade to the FSD computer (HW3.0). I don't know for sure that this is good for your model, though.

A lot of people believe the upgrade cost is purely software enablement. It is not.

I upgraded our 3 to FSD for the $3k. Now have it on both of our cars. Am totally drinking the Tesla Robotaxi kool-aid. Plan to start a Robotaxi fleet.
Or at least have the car drop me off at the door in the rain. Fun stuff coming.

Fool me once...
Actually what he said was:

Given his track record of constant lies, he probably has a legal defense - he is a habitual and known liar. Anyone who follows him would know that. I simply do not believe him or anything he says.

Plus if true why wouldn't the online support simply back him up?

Not to mention in context he is talking about AP 2.5, nothing about 2.0.

I honestly hope it works for all of yous who took that gamble. Seriously. I just don't want to invest in a "promise" from a known liar.

Now if support does back his story, that's something else entirely. I would believe the written word of support personnel if written. But believe a vague tweet by someone out of touch with reality? Not for me, not today

He constantly changes his mind. He just keep making new decisions from new info learned. You certainly need to keep that in mind but to say he's a habitual layer is not only not understanding how he operates but a bit too harsh.

Billionaire Jeff Bezos: People who are 'right a lot' make decisions differently than everyone else—here's how

He constantly changes his mind. He just keep making new decisions from new info learned. You certainly need to keep that in mind but to say he's a habitual layer is not only not understanding how he operates but a bit too harsh.

Billionaire Jeff Bezos: People who are 'right a lot' make decisions differently than everyone else—here's how

Changing your mind on the arrival of new data makes sense. Changing your mind on a past ‘forward-looking statement’ so that you’re ‘right’, or your view fits with prevailing opinion, could be considered capriciousness.

I can imagine the fun Tim Cook must’ve had playing heads or tails with Steve Jobs. “Heads or tails Steve?”
“heads”
“It’s tails, that’s another dollar you owe me”
“Tim, I said ‘tails’”

on FSD predictions, there’s less of this post-hoc changing. But there is a lot of inaccurate estimation that leads to misplaced beliefs. I suppose ‘there’s a 50% chance we’ll have stop sign recognition rolled out by year end’ might be accurate, but it lacks the decisive precision that CEOs are expected to provide.

In day to day life I suspect folks would be disappointed in your abilities if you behaved in such a way.