Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing your mind on the arrival of new data makes sense. Changing your mind on a past ‘forward-looking statement’ so that you’re ‘right’, or your view fits with prevailing opinion, could be considered capriciousness.

I can imagine the fun Tim Cook must’ve had playing heads or tails with Steve Jobs. “Heads or tails Steve?”
“heads”
“It’s tails, that’s another dollar you owe me”
“Tim, I said ‘tails’”

on FSD predictions, there’s less of this post-hoc changing. But there is a lot of inaccurate estimation that leads to misplaced beliefs. I suppose ‘there’s a 50% chance we’ll have stop sign recognition rolled out by year end’ might be accurate, but it lacks the decisive precision that CEOs are expected to provide.

In day to day life I suspect folks would be disappointed in your abilities if you behaved in such a way.

When he made those statements he truly believed that's what it will happen. He certainly could, and maybe he should, not say anything or hedge it a bit like most CEO's would do. Which one you think is lying?

Read this Emerson's quote to understand some people don't operate at our level. They have more important things to do than worry about how we misunderstand them.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”

Reactions: willow_hiller
Is this helpful? Elon Musk's twitter statements:
Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Ben
@MacBenTosh

Mar 29
Replying to
@elonmusk
What about FSD on AP 2.0 vehicles?

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Mar 29
Anyone who bought FSD will get it

To me there is no point spending $3K more when the MCU is old. If Tesla can offer a combined package to upgrade both MCU and a the FSD, then it might make sense to dump more money into a car that has already seen 40% of its life (with me).

To me there is no point spending $3K more when the MCU is old. If Tesla can offer a combined package to upgrade both MCU and a the FSD, then it might make sense to dump more money into a car that has already seen 40% of its life (with me).

That's entirely the point. It includes the FSD computer, from my understanding. It's not just software enablement.