Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Not Working at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hopeful Tesla will make good on this problem. I initiated a Tesla Service Call in June 2022 with this issue. Tesla Service Rep came and said that since FSD Beta is in roll-out, he had no knowledge on how to service it. Thinking things may have changed with a larger roll-out, I initiated another Service Call in December 2022. Instead of coming to my house, Tesla messaged me saying its a known issue; I agreed to cancel the appointment. When asked when they'd resolved it, by message Tesla Service said they didn't know but expected it would be resolved.
I initiated a service call and mobile service will be coming out. I sent them a photo of the cabin camera at night when using sentry mode. Haven’t heard anything back. Appointment is for Tuesday morning

Reactions: ArthurVan
I have this same issue (2022 MY, Sept delivery). I scheduled service _ they contacted me and indicated that it would need a future software update to correct and cancelled the service call). Christmas update didn’t fix it. Maybe v11 will? I normally set my screen briteness to auto - I’ve found that setting it to “light” (instead of dark or auto) allows enough light in the cabin to use FSD at night. Annoying though because it is bright and messes with my night vision 😫

I have this same issue (2022 MY, Sept delivery). I scheduled service _ they contacted me and indicated that it would need a future software update to correct and cancelled the service call). Christmas update didn’t fix it. Maybe v11 will? I normally set my screen briteness to auto - I’ve found that setting it to “light” (instead of dark or auto) allows enough light in the cabin to use FSD at night. Annoying though because it is bright and messes with my night vision
please test your cabin camera, at night access the live feed from your phone, you should be able to see night vision if its just pitch black your camera is broken, FSD at night works flawless for me, went over 100 miles straight on backroads without an issue

please test your cabin camera, at night access the live feed from your phone, you should be able to see night vision if its just pitch black your camera is broken, FSD at night works flawless for me, went over 100 miles straight on backroads without an issue
Yep - just pitch black. I just figured this was a limitation of the camera or the software “tuning” for low light. So everyone without this issue has a viewable cabin in low light?

yup should. be dead clear at night with infrared, make a service request. they will replace it
Well, Service is telling me that this is normal (and I’m sure they will look to cancel my service appointment next).
What model do you have? I didn’t think the MY had infrared. But as it stands, seems like the cabin camera is pretty useless at night (which is ~90% of winter use).

Well, Service is telling me that this is normal (and I’m sure they will look to cancel my service appointment next).
What model do you have? I didn’t think the MY had infrared. But as it stands, seems like the cabin camera is pretty useless at night (which is ~90% of winter use).
Service told me the same thing and that’s it’s a software issue and they are working on it. I call BS but I don’t have FSD. I only got it for a month to try out.

Reactions: sjc003
its not normal. look up tesla interior camera at night and you will see people be able to fully see the seats and all when full dark. its also not a bug either

Reactions: sjc003
This is what my 2022 MYP cabin camera looks like in pitch black in my garage, absolutely no lights:

IMG_4975.jpeg

You should definitely be able to see something.

• Helpful
Reactions: sjc003 and Mike_TV
Thanks for the advice! I initially just thought the black screen was normal. But after scheduling a service call and having the camera replaced the image is much better. Note - I had to emphasize that the service request was due to no cabin camera visibility at night. They initially took this to mean that I was having issues with FSD at night (which I was) and then started to reference future software updates (blah, blah). Consequently, now that the camera has been replaced and can capture images in the dark, FSD works again at night!

Maybe 15-20 minutes at the most. It was essentially open the housing, unplug the old, plug in the new, and put everything back together. In my experience, Tesla mobile service has been great.
That is the good case. The less good cases exist. Just last month I had service for this exact matter--which was converted from an initial automatically generated mobile service appointment to a Service Center appointment. They checked me in a 9:38 a.m., and checked me out at 12:28 p.m. They had replaced the cabin camera and done a camera calibration run down the local highway, but did not replace the triple camera nor the wiring harness on the original estimate.

Sadly, thecar still has the same problems--FSDb kicks off within tens of seconds if running in a dark place, no maroon dots visible in my cell phone, and nothing to see in Sentry mode in pitch dark. I have a new appointment with the same estimate list of parts three days from now at the same service center. I don't have a good theory of why it did not work in my case, when has fixed the problems for several other people.

Reactions: ArthurVan
Sadly, thecar still has the same problems--FSDb kicks off within tens of seconds if running in a dark place, no maroon dots visible in my cell phone, and nothing to see in Sentry mode in pitch dark. I have a new appointment with the same estimate list of parts three days from now at the same service center. I don't have a good theory of why it did not work in my case, when has fixed the problems for several other people.
My second try was successful. The invoice advises that this time they replaced the triple camera (1514448-00-G) and again replaced the interior camera (1588124-90-I). It took about 1.5 hours, though I was initially quoted much longer--mostly because they expected a long delay before starting. The invoice specified that the tech had "verified IR light is seen with phone camera" before he was done. That gave me great hope. And indeed my subsequent tests showed that I could see the two lights with my iPhone, that I could see the seats in Sentry mode in my dark garage, and that FSDb could drive in the full dark in my dark neighborhood, as it never could before.

Reactions: ArthurVan and Bob2C