Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD now $8,000. Who's buying?

How much does FSD need to be for you to buy it?

• $5K

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • $4K

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • $3K

Votes: 20 11.1%
  • $2K

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • $1K

Votes: 39 21.7%
  • $99 a month is the way to go.

Votes: 63 35.0%
  • $6K

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • $7K

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also thinking about upgrading to FSD for $2,000 for my 2018 M3 with EAP.
Main reason for me is that, I want FSD to be transferred to a new car purchase when they allow it again.

Currently, side cameras have light bleed, would the FSD upgrade include newer camera replacements too?

Reactions: bry_bry
I am also thinking about upgrading to FSD for $2,000 for my 2018 M3 with EAP.
Main reason for me is that, I want FSD to be transferred to a new car purchase when they allow it again.

Currently, side cameras have light bleed, would the FSD upgrade include newer camera replacements too?
I would not rely on FSD transfers. They may or may not happen ...and even if they do...may not happen in a time frame that is suitable for you.

FSD upgrade is only software, no upgrades to any HW4 hardware.

My recommendation is always the same: only buy it if what it gives you right now in terms of capability is worth the price you will be paying.

I would not rely on FSD transfers. They may or may not happen ...and even if they do...may not happen in a time frame that is suitable for you.

FSD upgrade is only software, no upgrades to any HW4 hardware.

My recommendation is always the same: only buy it if what it gives you right now in terms of capability is worth the price you will be paying.
I have HW2.5 on my 2018 M3LR, so I assume they will upgrade to HW3.0?

And yeah, i am not 100% counting on Tesla to allow FSD transfer to a new car purchase, but I will take my chance while enjoying FSD when I already paid 5k for EAP in 2018..

Reactions: APotatoGod
That I am not sure of. (I never owed a HW 2.5 vehicle...it may be an upgrade you need to pay for. Others will need to chime in.

And yeah, i am not 100% counting on Tesla to allow FSD transfer to a new car purchase, but I will take my chance while enjoying FSD when I already paid 5k for EAP in 2018..
As long as you understand you're taking a chance...all's well!

The website expressly states that if you purchase Full Self Driving Capability, you are eligible for a free upgrade to the 3.0 computer. My install is tomorrow, they haven't sent an "estimate" yet, but I expect it to be $0. Whether or not that has changed now that the upgrade is $2k total, I dunno. But It still says it on the website so it would be an easy dispute. As far as cameras go, the Beta should function as intended after the computer upgrade, if your cameras aren't right I would think that would be replaced, maybe at your expense, if damaged.
I've had my car almost 6 years now and it is hard to fathom dropping $2k on software on a 6 year old car. I have no reason to get rid of the car though $2k to breathe new excitement into it is well worth it to me.

I wouldn't upgrade on the assumption that you will get to transfer in the future. Buy it for what it is. Youtube, FSD Beta 4.3.2 (or whatever) and thats what you are buying

Last edited:
I'll just mildly point out that the title of the thread, and the wording of the first post, is asking who will pay $8,000 for FSD.

But the poll choices don't have an option for $8K, so no data will come back about the stated question. The discussion is fine and it's happening in several threads at once.

I can't vote anyway because I already purchased FSD, knowing that I was paying an enthusiast / early-adopter price for the existing capabilities.

Reactions: APotatoGod
All depends on how long you expect to own the car. For someone like me who generally purchases a car and holds on to it for 10 years, purchasing can economically make much more sense.
Same here. The main feature of my model Y is that it's the most comfortable driving experience I've ever had, even with the road bumps. Wrap-around glass, one-pedal driving, big display, good sound system, plenty of range. Yeah, I'm a bit shocked they dropped FSD so much, but that's par for the course with Tesla. And FSD works fine in my area.

Along with many Tesla owners, I was a software developer in my career and it's fascinating to see FSD and the NN system improve. I think it would be a blast to work on.

While Elon was obviously not right with the overall trend in FSD price....he will be ultimately correct if/when FSD becomes Level 4 capable.

If/When that happens, the price will skyrocket.

It's simply not that valuable or average Joe, but if you'r into having a ride sharing business, that's a whole different ball game. If Tesla bots would take care of all the grunt work related to renting out a car, I might consider having a fleet, but only if it required zero of my time and attention w.r.t., hand-offs, washing, charging, maintaining, clients being stranded for random reasons, or eventual collision repairs.

Well this is interesting. They cancelled my service appointment to upgrade my car from 2.5 to 3.0 stating. Your car will receive the functionality via software update. I don't know if that is by error or did they figure out how to get FSD to work with 2.5 hardware?

• Funny
Reactions: Zedbox
Side note, is that people who originally paid a higher price for FSD Beta are now getting upgraded to FSD Supervised for free.
WHAT? No one has ever paid a 1¢ for FSD Beta or FSDS. Anyone who buys or subscribes to the FSD can get either FSD Beta 11.9.4 or FSDS 12.3.x depending on their car's software's week release date at this time.

It's simply not that valuable or average Joe, but if you'r into having a ride sharing business, that's a whole different ball game.
I would agree that Supervised FSD (city streets) is not that valuable....however I would say that
1) Supervised FSD on the highway for long trips is valuable.
2) Level 3 (or 4) autonomy...if Tesla achieves that...would also have lots of additional value for the average Joe...just for his own vehicle.
I might consider having a fleet, but only if it required zero of my time and attention....
Yeah...the same reason I have no interest in being a landlord. :)

Last edited:
This is pretty much what Autosteer, which comes with the car, gives you right now.
Not really, IMO. With EAP I personally value
1) both the automatic + "initiated" lane changes...with no disengage / re-engage the system.
2) Handling interchanges. (So it will get to the appropriate lanes when the highway splits, changing interstates, etc.)

That being said, Autosteer itself does have decent value. "Stay in this lane and don't hit anything" is a significant stress reliever as long as you don't mind not changing lanes.

Last edited:
Layoffs, big discounts and now a reduction for FSD, anyone smell Tesla desperation?
Honestly, no.

I see that Elon believes he can clearly see the robotaxi finish line now, so he is going to have Tesla ultra-focused on that until it "is done." Does this mean it is guaranteed to get done? No....but I give it a better than even odds. (And not because "Elon says so" but because of my experience with FSD 11 vs. FSD 12).

Last edited: