Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on older Model3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any feedback of FSD on Older Model 3s?

I am especially concerned with the cameras which are pretty low resolution in my March 2018 Model 3.

Thanks

Sure, it's awesome.

I don't think that the higher resolution new cameras are actually there for the higher resolution, I suspect that they are there for better nighttime viewing. Higher resolution is actually a problem for computing, it takes exponentially more compute power to process the data.

And up until recently, HW4 versions of FSD have been behind the HW3 versions.

2019 has never gotten FSD 12.

On v111.1 (2024.8.9)

Tried to force a v12 upgrade by subscribing.

We have Ver12 on our Model X. It is more aggressive in acceleration, even in "chill," than ver 11.

I have a jet to go fast in. I'm a type B driver. If the BMW wants to go first and cut in with no turn signal; whatever. I prefer 11.

2019 has never gotten FSD 12.

On v111.1 (2024.8.9)

Tried to force a v12 upgrade by subscribing.

We have Ver12 on our Model X. It is more aggressive in acceleration, even in "chill," than ver 11.

I have a jet to go fast in. I'm a type B driver. If the BMW wants to go first and cut in with no turn signal; whatever. I prefer 11.

2024.8.9 means that your car snuck in and get new releases that many of us didn't have. But because of that, you are on a branch that doesn't have FSD 12.
It will get there, just may take time.

That happened because you didn't have FSD and you weren't held back on a 2023 release branch for months like FSD vehicles were.

For the time being, anyway, there doesn't appear to be any difference regardless of vehicle age (those with the full camera complement, of course). My car is the same vintage as yours and has the same pros and cons with FSD as, reportedly, all the new cars.

That said, I have no faith that the current complement of cameras (regardless of resolution) will ever be able to achieve the necessary awareness to fulfill the promise of FSD. Unless all other vehicles, pedestrians, and animals are chipped and communicating with each other, there will need to be additional cameras (and microphones!) to make up for the fact that the cars can't swivel their heads and crane their necks (or listen for sirens, horns, screeching tires). At the very least, they need to retrofit better rear facing cameras that can see fast approaching passers.

Actually, you might get a bit better results out of the 2018, sort of.

Sold my 2018 M3 RWD in September of last year, transferred FSD to a newer 2023 M3. When I bought FSD back in the day, the computer was upgraded from HW2.5 to HW3. Which, interestingly, is the computer in the 2023 M3.

But the Really Interesting Part was that 2018 M3's come with USS. So, unlike the vision-only based 2023 M3, the 2018 M3 (and my SO's daily driver, a 2021 MY) still have summon. And autopark works quite well.

Which means that in theory, you'll be able to summon the M3 from across a parking lot. In practice, you'll be able to back the 2018 M3 out of the garage or out from between two tightly parked vehicles, something those of us with the vision-only systems can't do.

Now, admittedly, the vision-only cars are supposed to get Actually Smart Summon any minute now; and I will say that the Autopark on the 2023 M3 at least looks cooler with all that vision stuff. But, still: Summon!

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
I have a 2018 LEMR. Tesla installed the HW3 update on it when it came out. The cameras are old and have the light leak issue (where you can see the light from the blinker). I've been using FSD v12 for a while now, and it's worked fine.

I also have a 2022 Model Y on FSD 12, and between the two I don't see any difference in FSD performance.

Both seem to work as well as the videos on Youtube suggest - very impressive, but be prepared for disengagements on occasion.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Are there any feedback of FSD on Older Model 3s?

I am especially concerned with the cameras which are pretty low resolution in my March 2018 Model 3.

Thanks
Mine's December '18, made in October. I upgraded my chip to HW3 and it runs V12 just great. No issues. This is from earlier this week, when I had this giant truck appear on my screen, so I looked at it with my cameras to see how close it actually was. As you can see, the cameras look good!
IMG_3950.jpeg

What is weird is I did get a loaner, back in January, a 2019, and it also had HW3 and FSD, and the cameras were terrible. You can see the frame rate on the side cameras was low, like 3 fps, and so the images were tearing. I vaguely remember my side cams were originally that bad, but they improved over time. I thought it was software updates, but maybe HW3 helps? Dunno, but my sidecams are great now.
IMG_2595 (1).jpeg

Which means that in theory, you'll be able to summon the M3 from across a parking lot. In practice, you'll be able to back the 2018 M3 out of the garage or out from between two tightly parked vehicles, something those of us with the vision-only systems can't do.
Good point about the USSs, but I wonder if there is anyone who regularly uses Actually Scary Summon, Autopark, and "garage park." The first is scary and all are too slow. Mine, last time I tried, wouldn't go into the garage unless there was lots of room on the sides.

I do admit that parallel autoparking is nice.

Good point about the USSs, but I wonder if there is anyone who regularly uses Actually Scary Summon, Autopark, and "garage park." The first is scary and all are too slow. Mine, last time I tried, wouldn't go into the garage unless there was lots of room on the sides.

I do admit that parallel autoparking is nice.

Define regularly I guess?

I use normal autopark moderately often when I've got something else to do with my hands for the few seconds longer it takes the car to back in than I could do it... stop music/podcast streaming, put my phone from charger to pocket, switch from car to phone if I'm in the middle of a call, put sunglasses away, get something out of/put something into center console, etc... It's a net time saver in those cases.

I've used advanced summon at work occasionally when it's raining because there's a covered roundabout area near the door I use most often the car can pull under IF I got in early enough to get a spot within range of it... if range was 50-100 feet greater I'd use it more... but I'm not physically AT work a ton since covid anyway so times I am, and it's raining, and I got a close spot- it's maybe a few times a year?

Basic summon I've used a couple times when some jerk parks WAY too close to my driver side door to pull the car out of the spot so I can get in... never owned a garage narrow enough to need to use it at home though.

Unlike AP/FSD which I'm actively mad anytime I have to drive a car without, all the above are just very tiny nice to haves though. A more advanced summon (or banish) would be nicer.

got the hw3 upgrade the other week on my 2018 3 and it definitely breathed new life into my car, even outside of FSD (which I use 95% of my drives now):
  • Much better camera colors
  • Ability to view the other side cameras and interior cameras during sentry mode
  • Auto blinker cancel
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control during autosteer
  • Green light chime
  • Better on-screen visuals
I was just going to sub to FSD for $100 (even though I have EAP) but since the price decrease, I just bought FSD for $2k