Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price change in my account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they know exactly what they are doing with pricing. They are playing with the price to understand how elastic the demand is for the car and the timing of all the price adjustments further supports that they are lowering prices specifically to increase sales/revenue. There really isn't any other good reason to reduce a price other than to motivate sales, frankly, or you are just throwing away money.

People like to say that Tesla is "passing on savings to the customer from production improvements" but think about that for a second, why would a corporation want to purposely reduce their revenue per product? Answer: elastic demand. Elon has even said as much by saying things like "we have unlimited demand, it's just the price that holds us back".

I agree that reducing the price of the car itself is NOT a lie since no where on the website did it say "Will be +3K in 3 months". FSD, on the other hand, specifically said that it would cost more post-delivery in writing with no ambiguity.

Saying its "just how they do things" implies there is no logic or reason to their decisions which is antithetical to everything Elon stands for (physics, first principles etc.). They weighed the pros and cons and decided revenue was worth more and to be honest, i would probably have done the same thing if i was at Tesla - but it sucks as a customer.

Price we pay to help Tesla survive until they are more mainstream and i'm OK with that, but it sucks.
Very well said, can’t argue with that.

I'd be curious to know if "most of us" is actually accurate. For me, at $2K it was an easy decision and I pulled the trigger. It was a pretty short-lived price point and I see people wishing they would have jumped on it. Not saying it is or isn't an accurate statement, but certainly not black and white.[
I'd be curious to know if "most of us" is actually accurate. For me, at $2K it was an easy decision and I pulled the trigger. It was a pretty short-lived price point and I see people wishing they would have jumped on it. Not saying it is or isn't an accurate statement, but certainly not black and white.
@afadeev, do you have stats to back this up? Noticed you disagreed with my post. I would love to see some stats that say it definitive one way or the other, which is why I asked the question. You seem to have info I haven't seen.

The people that i consider to be early adopters are those who paid for FSD when ordering because we were told it would be more expensive later.

I'm not sure that paying for something that doesn't exist makes one an early adopter.
Early adopters are first to use the new tech, test its features, review them in public, and provide feedback to the developers to improve them. It's hard to argue that FSD buyers have been given an opportunity to do much of the above.

People who paid upfront for a nebulous promise have a name, but I don't want to pile in on them here.

The cost of rolling it into my loan and paying interest was lower than the after-purchase price difference, so I took the fiscally-correct option and gave them the benefit of the doubt. I got played, pure and simple.

Something like that.

If anything, they need to start rewarding the people that they lied to when they said it would cost more after delivery and then they turned around and made it cheaper.

I never understood, or could relate to, this sentiment.
You paid money for a thing in a box (or a promise of a thing), and now are upset that the next guy paid less for the same thing?

Just sour grapes.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: Chewy3
You're making it seem like the "pricing gods" just decided to adjust things and Tesla had no control over it, which is not true. They made a conscious decision to reduce the price for a brief time span to entice additional people to buy into FSD. The fact that this "FSD sale" correlates with end of Q1 is further evidence that they did this not because "pricing changes", but because they wanted the additional revenue at the expense of their previous "promise" of prices only going up.

Pros
  • More revenue for free at an earlier point which is HUGE in business.
Cons
  • Piss off some existing customers.
You can see what choice they made. Not saying i disagree with it from a business standpoint, but they actively made the decision to reduce price when they knew that they had said it would cost more in the future.

Small nit, but the fire sale for FSD did not result in any 'revenue', just cash. Per GAAP, the $2k folks paid for FSD is a liability to Tesla until FSD is delivered. OTOH, the $2k that folks paid to add AP is essentially 100% revenue since it is only a SW switch to be turned to obtain SW that is already developed, i.e., no work to install a new computer chip and no work to develop new SW.

Reactions: kbecks13
People who paid upfront for a nebulous promise have a name, but I don't want to pile in on them here.

Suckers. That's what we are. I learned my lesson, I'm just glad it only cost me $3k. Could be worse.

You paid money for a thing in a box (or a promise of a thing), and now are upset that the next guy paid less for the same thing?

I never cared about that. I care that they lied about us getting into the early access program.

My guess is that “most of us” who actively participate in the TMC forum bought FSD for $2K if they were eligible to purchase it during that time.

As for the general population of Tesla owners who have better things to do then actively monitor the threads in this forum, I would guess that most of them had no idea about the fire sale in March.

I was in that category in March, had no clue about sale. I wasn’t offered the discount today since I’m EAP and it remains at 6k. But I wouldn’t have known about today’s discount either as I rarely log into the Tesla site just to see what has changed. I don’t understand why Tesla offers these sale prices yet won’t send the email.

Go re-read all my previous posts on this thread lol. Tesla specifically stated that this feature would cost more if not purchased as part of the original order and then went back on that. It is not sour grapes because they were dishonest in saying it would cost more after the fact when in reality it was less.

This is quite different than the people complaining that the price of the car itself went down as Tesla never claimed it wouldn't (go down in price) and in fact told us it would.