Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to be reduced to $3K for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends. Those of us with early cars MCU1/AP2 don't have dashcam or real sentry mode either. Considering it will probably never be this low again, I doubt you'd be able to make more on the stock.

For $3K, the upgrade from AP2 to FSD seems worth it to me.

It obviously is a personal thing. Absolutely as a benefit to a car you plan on keeping, and compared with switching cars to get the benefits, it has to be a win, but I think if you focus on the hard benefits right today, EAP gives you most of them, no? Either way, it's all about the journey!

It obviously is a personal thing. Absolutely as a benefit to a car you plan on keeping, and compared with switching cars to get the benefits, it has to be a win, but I think if you focus on the hard benefits right today, EAP gives you most of them, no? Either way, it's all about the journey!

You are 100% correct. And I almost swore I'd not go to FSD just for City driving. "thats dumb. I'll drive in the city myself".

But then I started seeing all of the videos on how quickly the city driving is progressing, reading about the neural network, and then the FOMO factor (latest HW3 getting all the hot updates), and the fact that I had already also decided to go MCU2 later this year.

I had a plan. The plan was to NOT give Elon any more of my money towards upgrades for this car.

Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the mouth.

The sale price to $3k, the promise to increase the price to $5k July1, and all of the youtube videos was like a punch in my mouth.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
a wise man with EAP would definitely stick with EAP and put $3k into TSLA stock. Defnitely the better financial move.

But sometimes? Im a wise man, that doesn't make the absolute best financial decision. And I know it. And Im ok with that. lol.

FSD purchased.

Haha I did both actually. I have TSLA stock and purchased FSD for $3K. Win/Win

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
On a separate note, Tesla's customer service remains pretty terrible in some ways.
When I purchased, got a message (ordered via my PC) that said "thank you, you will receive a software update overnight". Or something like that.

I have a 2017 S so I knew, that I would need the hardware upgrade, followed by software updates. But I know that because of this forum.

but a regular tesla user not familiar with the car, would have been sitting and waiting, then would have had to have opened a ticket complaning about not getting what they paid for, etc.

Would it have been THAT hard for Tesla to code the post purchase response on the screen to say "Thanks for the purchase. Your car will require a hardware update at the Service Center near you. We've scheduled an appointment for you. If you need to change the date of this appt, please go into your app".

Reactions: outdoors
I'm afraid if I didn't go for it, I would never be able to access FSD unless I paid out of pocket for the HW3 (who knows what Tesla charges for just HW3???). If/when FSD comes as a subscription, I would not be able to take advantage of it with HW2.5. So, in my head, $3k right now just made enough logic to move forward.

I'm still out on the upgrade - until it gets further along, it's still just going to be something to worry about even more than just driving myself on city streets. Plus, without the ability to handle roundabouts - and California roundabouts at that - it's still not going to be hands free at all.

California Roundabouts - where you have vehicles flipping over at least once a year, accidents at least once a month, and people honking at least once a day.

On a separate note, Tesla's customer service remains pretty terrible in some ways.
When I purchased, got a message (ordered via my PC) that said "thank you, you will receive a software update overnight". Or something like that.

I have a 2017 S so I knew, that I would need the hardware upgrade, followed by software updates. But I know that because of this forum.

but a regular tesla user not familiar with the car, would have been sitting and waiting, then would have had to have opened a ticket complaning about not getting what they paid for, etc.

Would it have been THAT hard for Tesla to code the post purchase response on the screen to say "Thanks for the purchase. Your car will require a hardware update at the Service Center near you. We've scheduled an appointment for you. If you need to change the date of this appt, please go into your app".

To top it off they send a confirmation email with the following:

Purchase Successful

Your car will upgrade while in park. This may take a few hours. We recommend connecting to Wi-Fi or a hotspot to upgrade sooner.

Not sure many owners would expect to use Autopilot on roundabouts. Not what it was designed to do.

I would figure that if this is supposed to be "Full Self Driving" that it would eventually handle a roundabout? It seems like EAP is still the best bang for the buck... I'm sure we'll see some weird sales again that Musk announces on Twitter in a year...

Did not take the bait on our 2018 M3 with EAP, the additional features in the current form of FSD is not worth $3k to us.

Now that the price is $5k instead of $4k, I realized Tesla probably never expected any EAP owner in their right mind to upgrade at $5k. So this artificially inflated $5k is just there to make you feel better the next time they drop it to $3k.

Did not take the bait on our 2018 M3 with EAP, the additional features in the current form of FSD is not worth $3k to us.

Now that the price is $5k instead of $4k, I realized Tesla probably never expected any EAP owner in their right mind to upgrade at $5k. So this artificially inflated $5k is just there to make you feel better the next time they drop it to $3k.

I don’t think we’ll ever see 3k again like we never saw the 2k come back. Prob the cheapest he’ll do is 4K again at some point. His stock is at all time highs, making lots of money, don’t think he’ll care to reduce the price when he wants his value of the car to go up.

I also had a 2018 model x EAP, but decided to go ahead and spend the 3k. I figured I’ll be having this car for next 5-6 years and once I resale it’ll pay it self off and I’ll have the latest HW3 for the next 2 years or so