Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to be reduced to $3K for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't that the same price for FSD when both EAP ($5K) and FSD ($3K) were offered at purchase time? I suppose it's been almost 2 years since EAP -> FSD was offered at that price? Somewhat unfortunate for those who did purchase EAP -> FSD after delivery, but I suppose that's a pretty small fraction that did end up doing that.

Isn't that the same price for FSD when both EAP ($5K) and FSD ($3K) were offered at purchase time? I suppose it's been almost 2 years since EAP -> FSD was offered at that price? Somewhat unfortunate for those who did purchase EAP -> FSD after delivery, but I suppose that's a pretty small fraction that did end up doing that.

Yep, but that was a while ago.

I'm planning on driving this car for at least 2 more years so I think I'll get my money's worth.

I saw Elon tweet this last night but I’m still seeing 4K in the in-app purchase screen. I would pull the trigger at 3K too.

do you see the discount in the app?

Not yet. Maybe the Tesla employees haven't had a chance to read Elon's twitter today to get their marching orders.

At $3K, I doubt it will ever be any lower and we'll get to enjoy (*beta test) all the new features.

I have an EAP 2017 Model S AP 2.5 with MCU 1.

What am I missing by not purchasing the FSD for $3,000?

I'm already able to auto lane change, NOA, autopark, smart summon.

And when does this offer end?

Thanks

Ends July 1st when the price goes up for everyone... Or, June 30th, some time (whenever they consider it at night)...

At $3K, I think I'll give Tesla my money. Thoughts?

I am thinking so too, and have questions!
I have Model 3 LR bought in April 2018 with EAP. At the time of purchase, I deliver EAP was 7K and FSD was 3K. So getting FSD again for 3K is reasonable price.

I am pretty certain we are going for the 3K upgrade, but want to have realistic expectations from it.

Questions (please note, we are not super tech savvy like a lot of folks here, but love love love our Tesla and the EAP):
  1. What additional functionality would FSD give us that EAP does not already have or will have?
  2. Would we need a computer upgrade to run the FSD properly?
  3. I don't know what the version of the computer is - it gets discussed here a lot, but didn't really concern me so far so pretty much ignored it. Now that it is important, trying to figure this part out. :oops:. I am hoping based on when the car was purchased, April 2018, the more informed folks here can figure it out and tell me. ;)
  4. How do I find out what version of the computer hardware is in the car?
(OK, I know this is all wrong technical terminology, but I already gave the disclaimer that we are not very tech savvy with this car tech. We just love to drive it!)

I am thinking so too, and have questions!
I have Model 3 LR bought in April 2018 with EAP. At the time of purchase, I deliver EAP was 7K and FSD was 3K. So getting FSD again for 3K is reasonable price.

I am pretty certain we are going for the 3K upgrade, but want to have realistic expectations from it.

Questions (please note, we are not super tech savvy like a lot of folks here, but love love love our Tesla and the EAP):
  1. What additional functionality would FSD give us that EAP does not already have or will have?
  2. Would we need a computer upgrade to run the FSD properly?
  3. I don't know what the version of the computer is - it gets discussed here a lot, but didn't really concern me so far so pretty much ignored it. Now that it is important, trying to figure this part out. :oops:. I am hoping based on when the car was purchased, April 2018, the more informed folks here can figure it out and tell me. ;)
  4. How do I find out what version of the computer hardware is in the car?
(OK, I know this is all wrong technical terminology, but I already gave the disclaimer that we are not very tech savvy with this car tech. We just love to drive it!)

In your vehicle info (VIN) page - sorry, I have an X, so, going under the assumption it's the same location on the 3/Y - there's a link that wlil popup and show you version information. Since your vehicle is from 2018, you will need an upgrade to get the newer features - which is something you'll probably want to schedule if you go forward with the upgrade.

However, between EAP and FSD, right now, you gain:
Visualizations (if they're useful to you - tend to be interesting, but, you can just look outside the windows)
Stopping at stop signs/red lights (if you're not used to doing that on your own) and driving on green (again, if you're not used to doing that)

Other than that, you're probably better off investing the $3k for the upgrade into something else... Hell, you might even want to throw that $3k into the market for the next week (though you might have to do options) and you may get something out of it before the week is up.

Sure, the EAP->FSD price will go up again, but, then, it might come back down, and then go up and back down... Just like it did over the past year.

Even with all that, I'm debating if I should upgrade.. Signs point to no, as EAP does everything I'll probably need.. Don't trust it enough to be driving on city streets, and I'm not that lazy where I can't drive on city streets myself. On the freeways (especially on the 101/405), I'll be NoA'ing it, but, I also leave lane change confirmation turned on, since, well, that doesn't always work (when the cameras fail to detect the dashed lane markings and the car moves back).

What additional functionality would FSD give us that EAP does not already have or will have?
For upcoming features, the next ones are likely turning on city streets and reverse summon / auto park. Tesla describes this on the website when purchasing a new vehicle right now as "Autosteer on city streets." As mjptech mentioned, the current functionality includes stopping at any traffic light including green lights, but there will be continual improvements to that behavior as well as the upcoming features too.

Nobody really knows if that will eventually result in the car able to drive by itself. Other than FSD visualization preview from the Christmas update last year, in the 2 years since you bought the car, there was no driving behavior difference with FSD over EAP. At least right now, buying FSD gets you something different (after going through the FSD computer retrofit).

A note about reverse summon, some people think it might be available as part of EAP as it's the opposite of smart summon. But this tweet seems to suggest it will require the Autopilot software rewrite/upgrade, which most likely will require FSD computer (HW3). https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1250644795216637952 "We’re working super hard on getting traffic lights & stops released. Reverse summon (auto park) will be part of the core Autopilot software upgrade for FSD later this year."

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have EAP and finding it hard to justify the cost to upgrade to FSD. I don't intend to let my car be used by others or in a robotaxi service. I do however would love to get the upgraded computer and that is what I find to be the most beneficial feature of the upgrade to me. EAP right now does most of what I want and use. If I had $3k burning a hole in my pocket I would very much consider but also throwing it into the market over time and then purchasing FSD once it is fully baked may be better off in the end financially speaking.

Feeling like a sucker! Just kidding.

As of now, you won't get the HW3/FSD computer upgrade, and no stoplight / stop sign functionality (stopping at them under AP). Also you don't get to see traffic cones, signs or stop lights on the display.
Oh we see traffic cones. Literally everything is a traffic cone on EAP. I honestly think they added the cones to make EAP more annoying. Mix that along with the 6 month old bug where the car will get into a lane to pass, then stays there. I refuse to give money to Tesla to fix features that I used to have. Since FSD started getting it's own features, EAP hasn't gotten quite a bit worse.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
For people that have paid attention to used vehicle prices, is there a rough idea on how much the EAP to FSD upgrade increases the value of the vehicle? I’m still leaning towards skipping the upgrade, but if the difference in current sale prices between otherwise equal vehicles is close to the 3k, it may be wise to take advantage of the sale price.

Feeling like a sucker! Just kidding.

As of now, you won't get the HW3/FSD computer upgrade, and no stoplight / stop sign functionality (stopping at them under AP). Also you don't get to see traffic cones, signs or stop lights on the display.

Yeah....I won't be upgrading. I'd rather do the city driving.

If only Elon gave us hints or glimpse into additional features we will definitely be getting in the very near future that's specific for FSD. Maybe then it will be worth the $3k. But if it's just city driving I'll pass.

Not worth it. This is the same upgrade price they offered last August. They're just trying to get some extra $$ before the end of the quarter. Given the limitations of EAP and the nature of camera hardware I'm doubtful we're even close to FSD.

If we actually have it, when COVID is over, meh i'll pay the full price. If anything we'd see services like waymo and uber actually expand to more cities before the model 3 gets FSD with inferior hardware.