Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD problem dealing with exit lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a 700 mile drive in my MYLR2023, using 'regular' FSD (as FSD beta is on recall still so I cannot access it). Much was OK, but one hazard is that it gets confused when passing an exit. It seems to see an exit as a widening of the lane, and tries to center on the double width it perceives, veering the car to the right. Anyone know if this is being fixed? Or whether this already was fixed in Beta?

Yes, thank goodness! This has been a gripe of mine forever, and only in the last update that I received (the one where you now have the FSDb stack on highways) has this been fixed. It's not just improved: I'd call it solved.

Now they need to get regular old Autopilot to behave the same way.

Reactions: bruce4000 and PVia
Yes, thank goodness! This has been a gripe of mine forever, and only in the last update that I received (the one where you now have the FSDb stack on highways) has this been fixed. It's not just improved: I'd call it solved.

Now they need to get regular old Autopilot to behave the same way.
It's "solved" in FSD for right-hand exits, but FSD is absolutely terrible with left-hand exits, e.g., from the HOV lane. Every time I pass one, it tries to take it, even though the visualization on the screen as well as the GPS route show that the car plans to continue straight. It's very unnerving, feeling the wheel twitch to the left.

Regular Autopilot is actually pretty good in this regard. Not sure why FSD is not.

It's "solved" in FSD for right-hand exits, but FSD is absolutely terrible with left-hand exits, e.g., from the HOV lane. Every time I pass one, it tries to take it, even though the visualization on the screen as well as the GPS route show that the car plans to continue straight. It's very unnerving, feeling the wheel twitch to the left.

Regular Autopilot is actually pretty good in this regard. Not sure why FSD is not.
We should probably fine-tune the terminology we are using here. The OP titled the thread with the word "exit lanes", when really I think we are talking about on-ramps (merge lanes), not the exit (off-ramp) lanes.

I think you are talking about this too. I.e. not the left hand exit lane, but rather the left hand merge lane.

To be honest, both left-hand exits and left-hand merge-lanes are hairy situations for AP.

We should probably fine-tune the terminology we are using here. The OP titled the thread with the word "exit lanes", when really I think we are talking about on-ramps (merge lanes), not the exit (off-ramp) lanes.

I think you are talking about this too. I.e. not the left hand exit lane, but rather the left hand merge lane.

To be honest, both left-hand exits and left-hand merge-lanes are hairy situations for AP.
Yes, I see what you mean regarding the right-hand merge lanes. However, I really am talking about left-hand exits from the highway. While on FSD, if I encounter one while driving in the HOV lane - there are two on my way to the office and three on my way home - the car starts to take them even though it should be continuing straight, and I have to take control. The car would otherwise leave the highway, or, worse, split the difference and crash into the gore barrier.

When on regular/Enhanced Autopilot, the car very occasionally gets twitchy around those exits, so I'm always super careful around them, but it generally behaves properly. FSD is another story altogether.

Yes, I see what you mean regarding the right-hand merge lanes. However, I really am talking about left-hand exits from the highway. While on FSD, if I encounter one while driving in the HOV lane - there are two on my way to the office and three on my way home - the car starts to take them even though it should be continuing straight, and I have to take control. The car would otherwise leave the highway, or, worse, split the difference and crash into the gore barrier.

When on regular/Enhanced Autopilot, the car very occasionally gets twitchy around those exits, so I'm always super careful around them, but it generally behaves properly. FSD is another story altogether.
Yeah, left hand exits are pretty bad (even when you are taking one). I usually disengage in anticipation of this. I suppose I ought to occasionally see what it does to see if they've fixed it, but I've had too many scary encounters with left exits to let it do its own thing (and this was on EAP -- I don't think I've encountered any with the new FSD yet).

Yeah, left hand exits are pretty bad (even when you are taking one). I usually disengage in anticipation of this. I suppose I ought to occasionally see what it does to see if they've fixed it, but I've had too many scary encounters with left exits to let it do its own thing (and this was on EAP -- I don't think I've encountered any with the new FSD yet).
It's pretty good with EAP - not perfect, mind you, so I'm always extra vigilant in these areas, but it's generally better than it used to be. FSD is much worse, however. On the few occasions I have actually used FSD, I have left it engaged until it started to mess up, so I could send a message indicating why I interrupted it. Hopefully they'll get this one figured out soon.

In the UK my Model Y has problems with exit ramps from the freeway (in my case the A1M in North Yorkshire).
if the road has a large white arrow on the road surface as quite a few do, and it’s a good contrast, the car gets confused, moves the wheel towards the exit and left indicates towards the exit, then gets a grip of itself and indicates right and then cancels .
it’s scary and I often switch off FSD BETA on the few that I know it has problems with

For my part, in USA, I'm talking about regular exits on the right side. As I have driven more with regular (not beta) FSD, I have seen fewer errors in this regard. However, I just got a scare when I did a requested lane change from left to right, and wound up just before an exit, and the car veered towards the exit rather than straightening out in the right lane. Fortunately I had both hands on the steering wheel and caught it.