Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a problem, since they sold those folks FSD. (especially the pre 3/19 folks)
I do have faith that they feel the sensor suite is good enough since they didn't change it with the refreshed S & X.

I agree with Chuck that the left pillar might be an issue, but I would think they would've changed that with the refreshed of they determined the sensor positioning wasn't good enough.

there still isn't real sensor redundancy, yet, is there? if the sun blinds one of the cams, does the system go into hobble mode like it does, now?

if enough cameras get mud/rain/snow on them (there still is no self-cleaning, right?) - again, there aren't enough backups that if the primary is blocked, the secondary can take over.

this still does not meet level5 definitions (you can't be asil-d rating unless you have redundancy for ALL key things and that most certainly includes redundancy on sensors)

there still isn't real sensor redundancy, yet, is there? if the sun blinds one of the cams, does the system go into hobble mode like it does, now?

if enough cameras get mud/rain/snow on them (there still is no self-cleaning, right?) - again, there aren't enough backups that if the primary is blocked, the secondary can take over.

this still does not meet level5 definitions (you can't be asil-d rating unless you have redundancy for ALL key things and that most certainly includes redundancy on sensors)

I don’t think that anyone (except maybe Musk) thinks that current sensors are enough for level 5.

There's nothing in the SAE self driving level specs requiring redundanc for anything to be L5, FWIW.

Regulatory approval in places that need it might be another matter of course.

That's a problem, since they sold those folks FSD. (especially the pre 3/19 folks)

It's a problem for Tesla.

As a customer with a pre 3/19 vehicle it's no problem for me.

I think its hugely wasteful to scrap perfectly good components in some attempt to get to L4 driving that might not even work. Especially on a car that is 3-5 years old already. We likely won't see any serious change in the sensor suite until 2022 with the CyberTruck, and there is no guarantee that whatever sensor change happens allows them to get to L4.

If only there was a way to give existing owners an excuse to upgrade. Something that would cost Tesla far less money, but would also make the majority of customers content. A nice discount perhaps, and free FSD for life of Tesla ownership.

90% of why I got FSD wasn't that I believed it was possible, but it would be a fun adventure.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I was talking about future versions. Retrofitting cameras to the current cars would be prohibitive expensive.
Not necessarily. It depends on whether they can tap into something else, like the unused twisted pair in the bumper for the no-longer-used RADAR hardware, or some automotive Ethernet connection in the rear body somewhere that could be throttled up to a faster speed and have the data multiplexed on top of the existing data.

Reactions: jeremymc7
Not necessarily. It depends on whether they can tap into something else, like the unused twisted pair in the bumper for the no-longer-used RADAR hardware, or some automotive Ethernet connection in the rear body somewhere that could be throttled up to a faster speed and have the data multiplexed on top of the existing data.
Re-use of anything they have is going to take labor to get done, which is quite expensive and the manual work that might result in issue would be another headache and there is MCU1 issue that they need to deal with, 1/2 of 2021 is already gone but still dont have a 2021 firmware version for my vehcile (I am not worried, they have been releasing crap for the most part).

JJ Ricks did over 1000 miles, all documented in 78 videos and those issues you mention only happened a few times. It does not happen as often as you seem to think.
How do you know how often it happens, and how do you know that that information is not tainted by ulterior motives (e.g., spin to the positive, bury the negative)? If you just trust the company mouthpiece, you're no different than fanbois here who unwaveringly defend Musk tweets. (You may think I'm in that category, but as one advocating for refunds to FSD purchases when cars are returned from lease or sold, and imploring unhappy FSD purchasers to take their cases to Small Claims Court, I'm clearly not.)

How do you know how often it happens, and how do you know that that information is not tainted by ulterior motives (e.g., spin to the positive, bury the negative)? If you just trust the company mouthpiece, you're no different than fanbois here who unwaveringly defend Musk tweets. (You may think I'm in that category, but as one advocating for refunds to FSD purchases when cars are returned from lease or sold, and imploring unhappy FSD purchasers to take their cases to Small Claims Court, I'm clearly not.)

I am not just trusting a company mouthpiece. What are you talking about? The JJ ricks videos I mentioned are not affiliated with Waymo in any way. JJ is not a company mouthpiece. He is a college student who took it upon himself to video every Waymo ride he took. The videos are not tainted by Waymo. We have 78 unedited videos from start to finish of driverless rides by JJ Ricks. It might only be 1000 miles but we can watch the videos and see exactly where the car fails.

Reactions: Matias
Pretty sure that HW3 is only a computer change since HW2.5. They both have the same cameras, radar, etc.

I believe the reason that HW2.5 can't handle the visualizations that HW3 can do is down to processing and little else.

HW2 though is a much different story.
Right, so my question is whether HW3+FSD Beta can do highway merges now. That would help determine if the car is sensor-limited or SW/CPU limited. I'm scheduled to get the HW3 upgrade in a few weeks, but I have no idea when I'll get the FSD SW since I'm not a Beta customer.

There’s video of it going highway mergers just fine. I’m not sure about a cloverleaf exit though..
Right, so my question is whether HW3+FSD Beta can do highway merges now. That would help determine if the car is sensor-limited or SW/CPU limited. I'm scheduled to get the HW3 upgrade in a few weeks, but I have no idea when I'll get the FSD SW since I'm not a Beta customer.

I am not just trusting a company mouthpiece. What are you talking about? The JJ ricks videos I mentioned are not affiliated with Waymo in any way. JJ is not a company mouthpiece. He is a college student who took it upon himself to video every Waymo ride he took. The videos are not tainted by Waymo. We have 78 unedited videos from start to finish of driverless rides by JJ Ricks. It might only be 1000 miles but we can watch the videos and see exactly where the car fails.
JJ Ricks. That's your fallback? How many other people used Waymo and didn't think to post glitches and stranding on social media?

Point is, you rely too much on company mouthpieces and ONE person who had nothing better to do than ride Waymo. And I do question his (and your) relationship with the company and his (and your) objectivity with regards to Waymo.

• Disagree
Reactions: diplomat33
JJ Ricks. That's your fallback? How many other people used Waymo and didn't think to post glitches and stranding on social media?

Point is, you rely too much on company mouthpieces and ONE person who had nothing better to do than ride Waymo. And I do question his (and your) relationship with the company and his (and your) objectivity with regards to Waymo.

So now you are disparaging my integrity and @JJRicks 's integrity? That is a new low. Shame on you!

No, that is not my fallback. I only mentioned it because you specifically quoted my post about JJ's videos. And JJ's videos are the most informative. So I reference them.

I don't rely too much on company mouthpieces and ONE person. What are you even talking about? I look at all data. I look at all videos, not just JJ's. I l watch ML presentations from Anguelov. I also look at the millions of miles of real data that Waymo has provided to the CA DMV over the years and the millions of miles of real data that Waymo has shared in their safety report. But I guess that data does not count because it comes from Waymo? You just don't like the real facts that I present!