Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to ensure “FSD license” transferred to new HW4 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I took Tesla’s FSD transfer offer yesterday (even though I hesitated since FSD will be dropped from my new car if/when I sell it someday). However, since FSD is not yet available on any Y’s with HW4, how can I verify that the FSD “software license” was actually transferred to my new HW4 Y? (I verified that my current Model 3 lost FSD today so obviously at least half of the transfer was completed. Of course, I know Tesla staff will make promises that all is well but I would like to trust them — only after verification😅)

I will look on the Model Y screen under the Autopilot tab but wonder what it should say?

Look under upgrades section in Tesla app if they added the car there already. Or on the website account section, click “manage” for the new vehicle and check specs in the details. Or check the ”Motor Vehicle Order Agreement” if they’ve added that to your account documents section for the new vehicle. You should see ”Full Self-Driving Capability” (which is what people mean when they say purchased or subscribed to “FSD”)

• Informative
Reactions: azred
Look under upgrades section in Tesla app if they added the car there already. Or on the website account section, click “manage” for the new vehicle and check specs in the details. Or check the ”Motor Vehicle Order Agreement” if they’ve added that to your account documents section for the new vehicle. You should see ”Full Self-Driving Capability” (which is what people mean when they say purchased or subscribed to “FSD”)
Thank you!

Reactions: TresLA
What is “standard FSD” vs “FSD Beta”? I am only aware of the existence of FSD Beta.
The standard FSD option is just EAP plus Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. FSD Beta, which is only available in certain builds, adds the ability to use Autopilot on city streets. Anyone who buys or subscribes to the FSD option can get FSD Beta, once you get a build that has it. Once you have FSD Beta, you can enable or disable it, effectively letting you switch between standard FSD and the Beta. As I noted above, FSD Beta is not yet available for HW4 cars.

What is “standard FSD” vs “FSD Beta”? I am only aware of the existence of FSD Beta.
It is NOT Standard FSD. You buy what is called the FSD Capability package. FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on city streets) is not included in the FSD Capability package yet and listed as Coming Soon. Tesla allows you to request the privilege of testing FSD Beta but it is NOT a paid for feature at this time.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 5.22.50 PM.png

It is NOT Standard FSD. You buy what is called the FSD Capability package. FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on city streets) is not included in the FSD Capability package yet and listed as Coming Soon. Tesla allows you to request the privilege of testing FSD Beta but it is NOT a paid for feature at this time.

View attachment 958985
I see some posts about testing FSD beta on HW4 Teslas, so seems like they are actually compatible?

As I keep preaching elsewhere, we really should stick to the terms and verbiage that Tesla uses. There’s no such thing as “standard FSD”. It’ll prevent at least some of the confusion:

Tesla (now) includes or sells for purchase and/or subscription:
• AP
• EAP
• FSD Capability (what some mean when they say “FSD”)

Tesla is still developing and doesn’t yet offer:
• FSD (what Tesla says will be an SAE level 5, sleep in the backseat autonomous vehicle hardware/software product)

Tesla offers as a “limited early access” program to anyone in the USA that subscribes to/purchased FSD Capability, to help test and provide feedback/data for the SAE level 2 development version of the above mentioned future FSD product:
• FSD beta (what some mean when they say “FSD”)

I see some posts about testing FSD beta on HW4 Teslas, so seems like they are actually compatible?
Where in my post did I say anything about or even use there word compatibility? I was pointing out the FSD Capability (NOT compatibility) package Tesla sells and the features it includes.

Also for reference FSD Beta 11.3.6 is not compatible (there I said it) with HW4. You must have FSD Beta 11.4.x or higher to work on HW4.

Last edited:
Where in my post did I say anything about or even use there word compatibility? I was pointing out the FSD Capability (NOT compatibility) package Tesla sells and the features it includes.

Also for reference FSD Beta 11.3.6 is not compatible (there I said it) with HW4. You must have FSD Beta 11.4.x or higher to work on HW4.
Got you. Sorry I quoted the wrong post. It should be this "Standard FSD is available on HW4, but not FSD Beta" in #5 that confused me.

Reactions: JulienW
I took Tesla’s FSD transfer offer yesterday (even though I hesitated since FSD will be dropped from my new car if/when I sell it someday). However, since FSD is not yet available on any Y’s with HW4, how can I verify that the FSD “software license” was actually transferred to my new HW4 Y? (I verified that my current Model 3 lost FSD today so obviously at least half of the transfer was completed. Of course, I know Tesla staff will make promises that all is well but I would like to trust them — only after verification😅)

I will look on the Model Y screen under the Autopilot tab but wonder what it should say?
I did the transfer and bought a new Y HW4 last Saturday August 19th. I still have NOT received confirmation that the transfer happened, even though calls to the Service Center and Delivery Center tried to assure me that it did. I do NOT see any thing on my software tab to indicate it has did as promised. I only have a note that the FSD I now have is good for 3 months only, or just the promotional version new buyers were supposed to get. I have an Agent at the Delivery Center supposedly working on the issue, but still noting. I would be very skeptical of the Tesla promise. I wished I knew who to escalate this problem with at Tesla as the Service Center and the Delivery Center have NOT been able to solve it. Anyone have any suggestions?

I did the transfer and bought a new Y HW4 last Saturday August 19th. I still have NOT received confirmation that the transfer happened, even though calls to the Service Center and Delivery Center tried to assure me that it did. I do NOT see any thing on my software tab to indicate it has did as promised. .... Anyone have any suggestions?
If you click on Software it will say under Additional vehicle information: Full Self Driving Capability, Included Package.

If if doesn't say Included Package then it hasn't been transferred.

IMG_5570.jpeg

Reactions: LastGas