Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V9 First Impressions - General Public Access Seems Way Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't driven on California's congested freeways then. Happens everyday. And rear end collisions because of this are very common.
I am in OC and used to drive the 405 in traffic all the time before COVID. The carpool lane could get a bit hairy at times, but I haven't found it too risky compared to the cities.

On the other hand, try driving in Irvine and see people doing all kind of crazy stuff at high speed. Irvine Blvd itself is 60mph with multiple entrances to large residential communities. And you have people trying to merge into Culver from the shopping centers when the traffic is blasting by at 50mph+. I think we had a period of 3 or 4 weeks earlier this year where there are a string of fatalities. I think these are scenarios that would result in much higher consequences.

I am in OC and used to drive the 405 in traffic all the time before COVID. The carpool lane could get a bit hairy at times, but I haven't found it too risky compared to the cities.
I was going to mention carpool lanes as something that makes the scenario very common in Norcal (although this had died down a bit due to reduction in traffic from covid). However, I see this happen also in traffic even without the carpool lane. People just blast down the lane without any care that the other lanes are going much slower or even stationary. Then you have people that suddenly pull into the lane.

Reactions: mark95476
When Googling "what kind of roads have the most accidents | fatalities" I see the links list freeways, highways, and rural roads.
Here are some of the links:
quote: More Americans die on rural highways than on urban streets and freeways.

Reactions: mark95476
This happens all too frequently--driving in the opposite lane (note double yellow lines) on blind corners to save a few seconds. :mad:

I was driving and good thing my brakes work well as I had to come to a complete stop to avoid collision.

Blind_corner.jpg

I was going to mention carpool lanes as something that makes the scenario very common in Norcal (although this had died down a bit due to reduction in traffic from covid). However, I see this happen also in traffic even without the carpool lane. People just blast down the lane without any care that the other lanes are going much slower or even stationary. Then you have people that suddenly pull into the lane.

I've watched a couple of the Youtube videos, and while I agree that it's not a generally a 'solved problem', for the commute I do, it's probably good-enough, to be useful. A mile or two, at each end, with big controlled intersections, merge onto the freeway, and the major portion in the middle I know works fine on NOA.

Other trips I do on a regular basis, are all on big wide roads with controlled intersections, which work already 'good-enough' on Autopilot with good supervision.

Car-Pool/Express lanes around here can be intimidating. Often right up to a concrete barrier on the left, painted double-line, and then stopped traffic on the right. If you aren't doing at least the speed-limit the people behind get very angry. Even past stopped traffic. Because, that's what's the car-pool lane is for, to avoid the stopped traffic.
Would not use any sort of autopilot in that circumstance.

I would think a limited release soon - for folks interested. Suburban, rural roads would work well right now based on what I’ve seen. Reroute on high speed blind left. Congested city will take some time to capture all edge cases. Limit availability till confidence meets a target.

MY YLSM that is supposed to arrive in late August has FSD. What features can I use from the beginning and what is on the near horizon.

You will get the current FSD features:
Navigate on Autopilot
Auto Park
Auto Lane Change
Smart Summon
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Auto Steer on City Streets is the next big FSD feature but we have no specific date when it is will be released. It is currently in beta testing (FSD Beta V9) but Elon today said that public release would only come in V10 or V11 so it is several months away at best, maybe longer.

Auto Steer on City Streets is the next big FSD feature but we have no specific date when it is will be released. It is currently in beta testing (FSD Beta V9) but Elon today said that public release would only come in V10 or V11 so it is several months away at best, maybe longer.
That's not what Elon said, but rather, your opinion.

MY YLSM that is supposed to arrive in late August has FSD. What features can I use from the beginning and what is on the near horizon Thanks Curt

Features you will likely use, but that have relatively little value
  • Auto Lane Change: avoid hearing annoying blim-blom sound from autopilot disconnecting when you change the lane
  • Navigate on Autopilot: good reminder for you to take a ramp even if you need to take over often
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: extra pair of eyes reminding of that stop sign / red light.
Features you will try once to conclude they do not work
  • Auto Park: Too slow to be useful
  • Smart Summon: You will never save a second vs walking to the car
What is on the near horizon
  • Navigate on city streets: have been on the near horizon for years, so we do not really know when/if they deliver this.

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: extra pair of eyes reminding of that stop sign / red light.

This is useful if you're tired I guess, but stopping at stop signs takes twice as long as a human driver. It cuts off power too early and slowly cruises to a stop signs. It pisses people off behind me so much as we go through 4 short bursts of 4 way stops. I'm actually quite embarrassed when I use it. Feel like my 15 year old self trying to learn how to drive.

Confirming at every green light is annoying too. I forgot sometimes and the car slows way down. Pisses people off too. Im capped at 5 over the speed limit by they want to do 15-20 over, and i'm slowing to 5 under before I realize I forgot to confirm it. I was actually pulled over the 1st night I got that update. Police thought I was drunk.

This is useful if you're tired I guess
The whole autopilot was replaced in Europe with nag-pilot. It just is so irritating to drive with nag-pilot, I do not understand why I need to pull on the wheel every 15 seconds. That makes me tired!

And now Tesla is trying to monitor the driver even more with the internal camera; come on... One wife is enough in the car!

• Funny
Reactions: emmz0r and TLLMRRJ
I think the low accident rate (by FSD testers) has more to do with the low number of testers and the fact that most of them are putting up videos on YouTube than it says anything about the safety aspects of the FSD software by itself. The software may not yet be good enough to foster complacency in the drivers. If my car is trying to crash into something every couple of miles, I'm for damn sure paying closer attention than if it tries to crash into something every 10,000 miles.
As you said FSD beta is safe because it is so bad. When car is trying to hit something every third mile, driver is sure to pay attention all the time. But when it has driven 10 000 miles without problems and you’re on your daily commute, attentiveness drops.

Uber test driver had driven the same route without problems 73 times before…