Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUD - Businesses insider "The star of 'Aladdin' claims a defect in his Tesla Model 3"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see bark on the wheel. Hard to get tree impact on a wheel that was not there. And he must have been going a tad over the speed limit. That is not a 25-35 mph crash. So high speed out of control - leaves road, into tree. Tesla's fault.

I seriously doubt it was that simple.
Suing the OEM is a very long, expensive, and low probability of success proposition. Geico (and any other insurer) will still be treating this as a comprehensive claim, and will have dinged the TM3 owner for the comprehensive deductible.

What other resources would they have had bu the words of the driver? The police aren’t going to reconstruct a crash for a non fatal non injury crash.

If they confirmed that the wheel had come off on the 2nd day of vehicle ownership due to a likely manufacturing defect, and if Tesla had admitted to similar manufacturing defects in Models S & X, than as an owner of a Model 3, I definitely want to hear more on the subject.

Confirmed vs claimed is a huge difference,

Inserting label "HUD" into the thread is a dis-service to the subject matter.

Agreed.

A wheel coming off (due to control arm failures, etc) will definitely induce loss of control.
No two ways around that.

a

WHEELS flying off did not happen with the model S afaik though.

Another shameless MEDIA "LOOK AT ME" publicity stunt to keep his Twats and InstaSpam hits high so this actor (a person who fakes being someone else for money) can get a bigger paycheck on their next movie.

All that's needed to Break The Internet is Jesse Smolett to blame somebody for another Hollywood lie.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Electroman
I seriously doubt it was that simple.
Suing the OEM is a very long, expensive, and low probability of success proposition. Geico (and any other insurer) will still be treating this as a comprehensive claim, and will have dinged the TM3 owner for the comprehensive deductible.

Just to be picky, this is Collision claim, NOT Comprehensive. There may be different deductibles.

Seems like this could easily be determined by looking at the data recorded before the crash. There are wheel speed sensors on all the wheels. If the wheel buckles under the car that would show up in the data. Probably just got a flat and lost control.

All the EDR data is actually included in the lawsuit- with the lawyers claiming it shows the wheel came off ~1 second before the actual crash

Complaint Filed Copy

Exhibit B is the EDR data

All the EDR data is actually included in the lawsuit- with the lawyers claiming it shows the wheel came off ~1 second before the actual crash

Complaint Filed Copy

Cool. I wonder if they include individual wheel speed data. I don't see it in the document. To me it just looks like lost of control from overcorrecting a skid. I'm no expert though.
He was going 55mph in a 35mph zone in rush hour traffic (it's always rush hour there). That doesn't seem safe!
Google Maps
Makes me suspicious...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Complaint Filed Copy

Looking at the pictures there was something on the road. That wheel hit something while it was still attached to the car. The wheels were clearly locked before he hit what ever was on the road, the skid mark is super obvious. He was driving too fast and saw something at the last second, hammered the brakes hit the object and then lost control and hit the tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtndrew1
I know someone directly involved with a Tesla approved body shop and they say Geico is the absolute worst of any other insurance company when it comes to paying for repairs. They will fight tooth and nail to get out of paying.

A body shop manager has told me the same. His experience was a brand new Cadillac that he thought should have been totaled. They kept denying proper repairs and the car kept going back to the shop for months after issues came up. It was eventually totaled.

Reactions: afadeev
Looking at the pictures there was something on the road. That wheel hit something while it was still attached to the car. The wheels were clearly locked before he hit what ever was on the road, the skid mark is super obvious. He was driving too fast and saw something at the last second, hammered the brakes hit the object and then lost control and hit the tree.
It definitely looks like something happened at -1.1s not related to the steering input. It doesn't look like there was any hard braking.

Interesting that something caused him to lift at -1.6 seconds (accelerator from 37.6% to 0%) . But they talk about the wheel detaching later (at -1.2 seconds). Whatever happened at -1.6 seconds seems to start a positive yaw rate event (later on in the report they talk about going over a curb at closer to time 0, resulting in large positive yaw rate, so that's the direction that positive yaw is...). This positive yaw rate extends from -1.6 seconds to about -1.0 seconds. Then it goes sharply negative for a duration of 0.8 seconds, to about -0.2 seconds, and then goes sharply positive (the curb jump).

In the filing, they talk about the yaw rate going "haywire" at -0.9 seconds. But to me it looked like something happened before that. I wonder what it was.

At this -1.6 seconds, there is also lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration, steering angle changes, etc. Yet there is no discussion in the filing of what might have happened here, which does not seem like a minor event. They generally focus on what started happening around -1.2 seconds.

It's possible that a suspension failure could result in positive yaw briefly , I suppose. But, I have no idea what might have happened there at -1.6 seconds.

There are also some interesting pictures with large grooves in the pavement in the middle of the street. You also have to wonder how that happened.

You'd think if there had been a large object in the street causing the failure & loss of control, it would have been found by the police as part of their investigation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman
Correction. 55mph in a 30mph zone. Also, the accident happened 20 minutes after parking is allowed in the right lane so you're probably going to dodging parked cars to drive that fast on Hollywood Blvd.
It looks to me like the positive yaw rate starting at -1.6s is caused by the steering wheel being turned peaking at -27 degrees at -1.4s which agrees with the fairly high lateral acceleration at the time. It's that step in lateral acceleration from -0.3g to -1.0g with no sharp steering input that seems like when something bad happened. I wonder what the police report actually says. Were there witnesses?

looks to me like the positive yaw rate starting at -1.6s is caused by the steering wheel being turned peaking at -27 degrees at -1.4s

Yeah I would agree with that. So as he lifted the accelerator at -1.6s and turned fairly sharply to the left (negative angle), the positive yaw rate (rotation of car to the left) started increasing, then something happened at around -1.2s and the yaw rate rapidly started the other direction. And that's also where that step in lateral acceleration occurred. I guess accelerator lifting would load the front suspension and in conjunction with the left turn would have put much of the car's weight on that front right wheel. Not that that should cause any problems of course. Not that I am advising sudden lifting in conjunction with large steering inputs like that. But I wouldn't expect anything to break.